When to leave a power available to activate a Force Weapon

ShinyRhino

It seems that nowadays, the Librarian's Force Weapon is just a fancily-labeled power weapon. Everything worth killing with it has Eternal Warrior, or is immune to Instant Death.

So, what specific units or enemies is the Force Weapon worth holding a psychic power usage for? Why not simply blast with an Assault-firable power like Avenger (IIRC) before the charge instead of waiting to activate the Force Weapon? Or when assaulted, not bother using the Force Weapon instant death at all, since the risk of a Perils of the Warp is always present, and the power weapon kills just as nicely?

This discussion assumes a basic librarian, not an Epistolary (since he can use two powers per turn, and has more options). I like the slimmed down 100-pointer as a backup HQ.

Off the top of my head, it seems like the only thing you'd really want to use it against are multi-wound models like Nobz, Ogryns, heavy weapon platforms, etc. Am I correct? Any other ideas?

Essentially yes. There arent loads of characters with Eternal Warrior though. In codex SM there is only Lysander and Marneus(i think). I still believe it is a very useful option.

If you have a basic Libby it depends what role you wanted him to fill as to whether to use FW or a power. If he has Gate then the decisions made for you but if he has avenger then use FW against multi wound models and avenger against meqs

How many characters really have eternal warrior?

It doesn't work against Nids, Demons, demon princes, abbadon, Calgar, Lysander. Pretty much works on everyone else.

Of course, my sorceror can use 2 powers a turn.

It doesn't work against Nids, Demons, demon princes, abbadon, Calgar, Lysander. Pretty much works on everyone else.

I thought Tyranids in synapse range were only immune to Instant Death due to weapon strength (2xT) and were therefore susceptible to a Librarian's Force Weapon.

I thought Tyranids in synapse range were only immune to Instant Death due to weapon strength (2xT) and were therefore susceptible to a Librarian's Force Weapon.

Not according to the FAQ.

Not according to the FAQ.

Very first part of the errata, changes to:

Page 28: "Tyranids within synapse range as described above are not affected by the Instant Death rule. Note that this does not apply to Ripper Swarms."

Carnifexes are vulnerable to force weapons when outside synapse, but you're unlikely to find an opportunity to make use of this.

Note Eldar Avatar of Khaine and demons from the C:CSM (correct me if i am wrong on this) also do not have the EW special rule.

On a side note just played a game today against Chaos. My opponent had the Special character sorc w/ all the powers. He melted both my avatar and wraithlord into chaos spawn in 1 turn(ouch). Still won the game though.

Note Eldar Avatar of Khaine and demons from the C:CSM (correct me if i am wrong on this) also do not have the EW special rule.

On a side note just played a game today against Chaos. My opponent had the Special character sorc w/ all the powers. He melted both my avatar and wraithlord into chaos spawn in 1 turn(ouch). Still won the game though.

demon princes from Codex chaos marines have EW. Don't think Greater Demons do.

Wow, that's lucky as each roll would need a 6 to succeed in spawning an avatar or wraithlord.

I don't have a Chaos marine dex on hand but I believe that Ahriman is supposed to be some kind of super psyker that can fire multiple shooting powers per turn. If someone has the dex maybe they could clarify.

-Thaylen

Things to use a force weapon on- Vulkan, Pedro, any other IC without Eternal warrior.

In general my libby is casting null zone or the avenger instead.

Actually force weapons are my bain. Every time I fight eldar Eldrad always manages to get a wound on vulkan & then POOF. No more Vulkan......

Things to use a force weapon on- Vulkan, Pedro, any other IC without Eternal warrior.

In general my libby is casting null zone or the avenger instead.

Actually force weapons are my bain. Every time I fight eldar Eldrad always manages to get a wound on vulkan & then POOF. No more Vulkan......

Eldrad doesn't have a Force Weapon.

Archived