500 pt Imperial Fist Army

Rob_Loken

Hi there I thought i'd post these guys up. There finished a while a go but only now have I taken any photo's. Basically just a small force with "Pedro Kantor" leading the force with a dreadnought for anti armour punch. I stopped at 500pts because I find that yellow is such an annoying colour to paint. I am quite pleased with how they turned out. They'll be good if I ever have a patrol force game or a doubles I guess.

gallery_25147_957_55683.jpg

gallery_25147_957_161679.jpg

^apologies for the blurry photo^

gallery_25147_957_165039.jpg

gallery_25147_957_12878.jpg

Cheers for looking.

you've done a really good job on them, but i'll agree, the yellow itself is the only rel let down, it just seems to be very flat... do you paint stright over a white undercoat?

One trick you might try to give the yellow a little more body is to put a coat or two of elf flesh over the white undercoat before painting the yellow...

I know what you mean Mal. Truth be told it's straight over white with thin glazes but I got so annoyed trying to shade them I gave up in the end. Plus I focused more on Pedro than the rank and file. The Gryphonne Sepia kept bleeding out and just looked terrible so eventually I just thought 'you know, it's never going to be GD quality I'm just gonna get a decent coverage and be grateful to the gods if I get that'.

I think they'd they'd also look a bit better if they had different coloured shoulder trims but the 2nd co. doesn't get much love so I felt I should give em some attention. ;) What I am thinking though is to bring up some highlights with skull white to try and and some pop to them. Maybe later though cos I'm doing some Ultramarines at the mo and they're much more fun to paint (I haven't tried to kill anything yet).

Well this is my rank and file imperial fist, very similar technique to yours but with the elf flesh added in... I also still need to get around to the white highlightsone of these days....

gallery_36925_3018_907303.jpg

Yours do look really good, its just the yellow... its such a pig to get just right....

*EDIT*

I've just gone back and compared my rank and file to yours, apart from the shoulder trim, they are almost the exact same colour selection...

Thanks for the tip Mal. If I do go back to these guys I think I'll try using the elf flesh idea. As for the load out, as it was more of an experiment to see if I could do yellow I didn't put that much thought into the weaponry, though as has been pointed out, 5 man squads can't take any upgrades. I might think about giving the sergeants some better equipment, perhaps a plasma pistol or power weapon. Cheers for the advice though it's all going on board the brain train.

Oh and Kurasuke his name at the moment is Pedro DeKantor (geddit?). Nah his actual name is Odovacar. Forgotten what it means but it's an old Germanic name. Would have given him a Welsh name but they're for my first love (Blood Angels).

Archived