Teaching my little brother to paint

Muller

Alrighty, this isn't your ordinary "look at my cool stuff"-paing log, ohno...

I'm putting up a little log on my little brother's painting progress.

He's 7 years old, which is one year older than what I was when I started this hobby, he's always played with my models (without my permission of course :P) so I sat down with him, asked him what he wanted to play, he found the black templars (and him being a kid who is in the knights-phase in his life and loves crusaders Black Templars was what he wanted), so I bought him an Emperor's Champion, a command squad and a tactical squad, and now (today) we sat down and started to paint his first model ever, a tactical marine veteran sergeant with a chainsword and a storm bolter.

PICS:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/SWE_BadAss/Warhammer%20WIP/IMG_4328.jpg

He's focusing real hard on the tabbard and purity seals

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/SWE_BadAss/Warhammer%20WIP/IMG_4325.jpg

Both him and I really enjoy doing this together ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/SWE_BadAss/Warhammer%20WIP/IMG_4326.jpg

Finished for today, tomorrow he will finish the cleanup (trims, weapon, gas mask, etc.)

I've gone through drybrushing as well as using inks/washes, highlights I will explain when his hand is perfectly steady ^^,

Will update this with new pics with each of his guys and hopefully we'll see real nice painted models in a short time :P

Thanks for looking, and some C&C would be greatly appreciated, I've never done Black Templars myself so help me see the cool details, etc. that will make them even sweeter-looking!

You're a really great big brother! I got my nephew (12) a Space Marine Bike for his last birthday and painted it with him and it was really cool to see how he went about the hobby.

Be sure not to direct him too much in terms of color schemes and bits to use. When I helped my nephew assemble his Marine I did not tell him anything about rules and what he can give a standard biker and he came up with a really unique pose and color scheme.

So if he wants his Emperors Champ to be red with blue dots on, let him ^^

It's always nice to see people playing the good older brother. It's way easier to write little kids off as annoying.

A lot of the hobby's younger kids ARE annoying, often because parents mistake redshirts and FLHS employees for babysitters. If there were more cool older bros the (hobby) world would be a better place :huh:

Anyway, that's really nice for a first model, Muller; definitely much better than my first ones. Not a whole lot in the way of C&C really, he's got some touchup and shading to go but that'll get handled tomorrow. I agree that highlighting can wait. I'd suggest starting him out on something nice and boxy if possible, like a vehicle. The tabards aren't a bad choice either, hitting the folds with the lighter shade.

If he's painting directly out of the pot (can't really tell from the photo) teach him about watering down the paint; not the milky-consistency for blending, just a bit to help it flow. If you want to give him some practice with hand steadiness, you could have him try out freehanding the templars insignia. Depending on what's appropriate you can show him how to drill out/black-dot gun barrels.

He's off to a great start so far, so my biggest suggestion by far is for you two to keep up the good work, and don't forget to run a few skirmishes when that sergeant's men are up and running ;)

Thanks for posting! I will be letting him read this thread as we go on with it (although we're swedish and he's only 7 we lived in the US for almost 3 years, so he knows his english pretty much even better than my mom xD)

To answer some questions:

1, He's not painting directly out from the pot, I know it looks that way. I, as a painter, do not use a painters palette, instead I take a small amount of paint and mix it with water on my desk (well, the cover ;P) since my lightbulb is so warm it dries the color out too quickly otherwise (yeah I know, I'm getting a better one whan I can afford one :P) which is why the pot is open, so that we don't have to open it every 15 seconds ;P

2, Even I don't drill out the bolter holes yet, I've been too lazy to do that and when he's got his first set of guys done we're gonna do all my models and his at the same time :(

3, I'm thinkin about giving him some kind of image to fill (on paper) with brush and paint (you know, a stay-within-the-lines kind of thing) to help against his shaking.

4, He's looked around with what kind of color schemes he wants and he said Black Templars, and even told him he could use whatever he wanted, but he didn't, so I'm letting him paint them correctly as Templars, which means that he asks me what red they have used and I tell him... In that sense he gets to do what he want while I'm still overlooking it making sure he'll still be happy with his minis in a year :) (And can hopefully just re-touch them with better painting skills then so he don't need to restart with the models or even buy new ones.

Thanks for the interest, he was real happy when he read what you guys had written, would really appreciate more posting as this thread updates.

Next update will be today or tomorrow

It's always nice to see people playing the good older brother. It's way easier to write little kids off as annoying.

i wrote my sister off as annoying because her battle sisters are better painted than mine, and she plays better than me :)

well done for introducing someone to the hobby, though, and hes very good, as lots of us here have said, hes a much better painter than most of us...

oh well.

what will be his first vehicle/ be cause mine was a nightmare to paint, put off vehicles for a long time

erik..

i wrote my sister off as annoying because her battle sisters are better painted than mine, and she plays better than me :jaw:

well done for introducing someone to the hobby, though, and hes very good, as lots of us here have said, hes a much better painter than most of us...

oh well.

what will be his first vehicle/ be cause mine was a nightmare to paint, put off vehicles for a long time

erik..

He will be getting a SM combat force box from me so his first vehicle will be a dread :jaw:

I gotta say your little brother is really lucky, your also lucky to have a little brother that wants to spend some qulity time with you. Personally I dont think there is any tips or the such that can be given. I am looking forward to see some further posts and nice to see another person collecting black templars.

Cheers, Messanger

Small update:

Sat down with both my girlfriend as well as my brother for a little painting session today.

He did only a few minor things such as some more tidying up (little left to do on the bolter, but otherwise pretty much done) as well as applied devlan mud (bought it earlier today), sadly the pics don't give the models real justice since my external flash for my EOS 20D is downstairs and I don't wanna wake the dog up by getting it, but we will do the last tidying tomorrow as well as applying proper basing to the model :P

The GF got to paint one of my OLD Dark Eldar models, which is more simple in design but she did a good job for trying this for the first time as well IMO... model needs highlighting but other than that pretty solid...

PICS:

EDIT: Xenos pictures purged. Power Armor only please. ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/SWE_BadAss/Warhammer%20Showcase/IMG_4339.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/SWE_BadAss/Warhammer%20WIP/IMG_0033.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/SWE_BadAss/Warhammer%20WIP/IMG_0035.jpg

When 100% done the models will be properly photographed B)

A family to be envious of! My wife starts to fume when I even mention 'Snorehammer'!

As a Beaver Scout Leader (6-8 yr olds) I find treating them as adults always works better than talking down to them; your brother's keenness to follow the correct colours is a good example of this.

My suggestion: he should have his own B&C account, with gallery, and probably hold the title of chapter prodigy (until the next one comes along! :tu: )

My suggestion: he should have his own B&C account, with gallery, and probably hold the title of chapter prodigy (until the next one comes along! ;) )

hehe, I'm down with that :)

I love this thread!

Makes me wish I had little brother to paint with.

Although I do have invited my GF to the hobby, and her skills shocks me.

Anyhow, tell your brother to keep up the good work! Iam really excited to see more :P

- Hälsningar från Skåneland :)

I've recently introduced my two sons and my daughter to the hobby. (5, 7 and 11 years old, respectively) It's great fun. We'll sit and paint together, build models or play a game. I'm so busy checking their work or fixing areas on request that I don't get much painting done, but who cares?

Most fun I've had in the hobby in 20 years, hands down. I applaud you for having the maturity and patience to do the same with your little brother.

He should be very proud of the work he is doing, and you should be proud for introducing him to the hobby in such a great way. Kudo's to you both.

My son started painting when he was 4 (he is now 12), and we started 40k at that time (though every roll, no matter what, was a 4+). He has since gone on to paint an entire Imperial Guard Army (which he continues to add to), and has even gone on to win some "hatchling" painting competitions. I love the fact that we share this hobby, and can sit and paint or game for a few hours while we bond.

Tell your brother to keep at it, and that he is doing a great job!

(though every roll, no matter what, was a 4+)

That's brilliant. I'm going to steal that for my five year old. My seven year old and 11 year old seem to get the modifiers, but my youngest could use it to be a little simpler. Very nice.

Kids got talent, i tried teaching my 10 year old nephew to paint, and he just aint interested. All he wants to do is play with them, but just like toy soldiers, its a crime!!

As for your girlfiend, that great, i've tried that before, but like Commander Sasha, i just get moaned at. LOL

Rekky

Archived