Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Ufthak

@Stoner:

Course I will be using the Maxmini heads...they're GREAT :-) Thing is, you can only use them for 1K Sons (the first one), Death Guard (the 2nd one), Ultramarines (the 4th one), and the 3rd and 5th can only really be used for Crusade armour (like I did in the pic)...and making Crusade armour is a tiresome business, so I don't know when I'll actually use them. Possibly when I get the motivation to do another MkII suit :devil:

@MEanBob:

Thanks for your comment :P You want the helmet, go to:

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main...19e27637d5719f1

Argh, looks horrible the old launcher. I'm contemplating simply using the standard one, since that one also features in the Collected visions. Or I could go the middle way and use the Chaos Space Marine ones...Oh well...

Heresy! ^_^

They can look exceptionally good, when used well. Look here:

gallery_745_1025_44919.jpg

gallery_745_1025_88140.jpg

http://www.fierylions.nl/Pictures/ForumPictures/ImperialFistsHeresyEraSquad/Mk5MLWIPright.jpg

And the entire thread with progress (temporarily on hold) of the entire army so far:

Ka-Link!

Enjoy; that particular ML is actually pretty cool once you get used to it and it's starting to be come quite unique also... :P

• 2 weeks later...

@Daeothar:

Is the launcher in the first Pic plastic or a resin duplicate? I thought you could only get them in metal...

Alrighty...

Hardly an update, since I didn't get round to doing much - I was doing a paint job for someone else (50 helmless SM heads...NEVER AGAIN), but a small ounce of progress there is nonetheless:

The MkII is unfortunately still unfinished:

gallery_42816_3520_175016.jpg

MkIII vet sergeant (WIP):

gallery_42816_3520_330135.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_133516.jpg

MkV Autocannon (WIP):

gallery_42816_3520_25145.jpg

MkVI vet sergeant (WIP - Banner still missing):

gallery_42816_3520_21396.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_21640.jpg

Righty...

In a strange, unfamiliar burst of enthusiasm and motivation I did the first vet sarge banner today. I think it turned out quite ok. I decided to freehand it, since I want to hone my skills there a bit...

Whaddaya tink?

(Sorry about the bad quality pics, I had to do them in a badly lit room in the evening...)

gallery_42816_3520_29019.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_19325.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_382615.jpg

I managed to get the Legion, Grand Company and Company markings onto the banner. I quite like the fact it's so red - now the black helmet looks good too, with the red to contrast it.

I'll be trying to make some better pics soon :)

Nice work; the banner works well with the rest of the mini. The iconography is pretty cool too; very matter of fact and practical, like the Legions were supposed to be before and during the Heresy. :tu:

@Daeothar:

Is the launcher in the first Pic plastic or a resin duplicate? I thought you could only get them in metal...

It's a plastic one. As far as I know, this model Missile Launcher was only produced in plastic. It's from the original RTB01 sprue, which has been produced in a number of colours, amongst them dark blue and also this tan colour.

Keep it up. As you might know, I've been working on the same project on and off for years now and you've certainly left me in the dust as far as productivity goes... :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your compliments Daeothar :) I'd like to see some of your Pre-Heresy stuff...Linky? ;)

Hm, I'm still not sure about the rocket launcher. I guess I'll just decide spontaneously in the last moment when the time comes :)

• 1 month later...

Hey folks.

I know it's been a long break, but I've been working the whole summer and hardly got round to doing anything. Nonetheless, here's a small update. I finished the Plasma gunner and added some paint details to some other finished marines. I particularly made a point of doing the vet sarge well, since he didn't look vet sarge enough :)

Watcha think?

gallery_42816_3520_357568.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_158242.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_59117.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_356327.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_165505.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_89900.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_305387.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_357869.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_234352.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_293582.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_275244.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_75349.jpg

Thanxalot, Captain Mike :)

Well, so far I've got a full squad of 10 marines, with 3 further ones coming along. I'm planning on doing an assault squad and a termie squad next; I got the bits, just need the time and the motivation. After that I might consider a veteran squad, and a dread.

My yellow is really simple. I think I gave a tutorial somewhere back in this thread, but here's again:

1. Assemble your model (partially or totally is your decision)

2. Basecoat/Spray it black. Don't do it in white, the result will be quite different from what I've done.

3. Once it's dried, go over the entire model with Iyanden darksun foundation. Try not to put it on too thick. Make sure it covers all the areas you later want yellow (i.e. the armour plating and helmet). It doesn't matter if some paint runs into the cracks and creases (for example, if you closely examine the Space marine armour, you'll notice it's divided into segments, buttons, plates, etc all divided by dents/cracks), we'll take care of those later.

4. Once that's dry, Go over the whole model with Badab Black wash. Especially make sure it runs into the creases and cracks. This will later create the effect of shading which experts do by highlighting.

5. Now comes the hardest part. Once the wash is dry - and make sure it is - use Bubonic brown to give the armour a final layer. While doing this, make sure NO PAINT runs into the cracks and creases. The Badab Black in the cracks will create a contrast with the stark bubonic brown, thereby creating a shading effect in the cracks. If some bubonic brown runs into the creases, don't panic. Just let it dry, then go over the area again with some wash, and then try again.

6. Once this is done, add the final details to your liking. I painted the soft armour behind the knees and around the elbows Codex Grey, then washed it with Badab afterward. I free-handed the shoulder pads (I dunno how good you're at that sort of thing).

7. Base your model (As you can see, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that) ;)

8. Admire your finished model.

9. Go to your nearest GW store, have everyone there worship you for the amazing Job you've done on the model.

10. Now, feeling like a God, found an Imperium of Man and go to war againt all those filthy heretics and the Xeno scum :(

Hope that helped!

Another update:

Recently I've been working on a marine in Mk 2 Crusade armour - and boy is it hard to do. I've also started work on my chaplain in Cataphracti Terminator armour, and here I need your opinions.

Firstly, the Mk 2 armour marine. I know the Green Stuff still needs some filing/sanding down, but I still need to let it dry:

gallery_42816_3520_160540.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_235261.jpg

And the Chaplain. Now, I've got a fair idea how to do Cataphracti armour - quite alot of work - but I'm undecided what head to use, and need aour help. I understand Chaplains use a skull motif, and I've got a few options:

gallery_42816_3520_337451.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_246364.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_14424.jpg

Now, I personally like the third head best. I guess some of you will now say: "It's way too small, no way the Chaplain's head would fit in there!" - indeed, Games Workshop isn't very good when it comes to scale. But I compared different skulls and heads...

gallery_42816_3520_50010.jpg

...and came to the conclusion that the skull on the far left - the smallest - is the only one which actually fit into the helmet on the far right and, indeed, the head next to it. All other skulls would be too large for either. And, the small skull actually just about fits into the other skulls, so I'm comfortable with all three options when it comes to scale. But what do you think? Any opinions?

And I have another question:

Anyone got any idea whether there were differences between Chaplains Pre-Heresy, Heresy and Post-Heresy? Did they use the Crozius? And all the other paraphernalia? Did they even use the skull motif?

note: my marines are set at about the time of the siege of terra, so Chaplains would have been around by then, should someone want to argue about that...

Any ideas? Any information? I'd be really grateful :tu:

I like the first of the three best, personally, but not so much how it sits a bit too high. Were I in your shoes, I'd trim the lower jaw off of that skull, then shorten the neck-lump so that the resulting skulltop would settle back in the termie collar like a normal bare head would.

Easy choice mate, no 3 every day of the week! Chaplains were about at that time but werent the same as chaplains nowadays, as there was no inquisition or echlesiarcy(sp) before during the heresy the crozius would not hae existed as the item that it is today, instead a chaplain was a bit like a librarian, he looked after the spiritual well being and morale of the marines and was still obviously a nutter in battle :tu: si i would say you are good either way, he may have a crozius shaped thing but it wouldnt be a crozuis it would just be a riteous beating stick!

Hang on, checking the colected visions...

the chaplain edict (abridged)

Warrior priests named chplains were to minister to the needs of the space marine and make sure their faith in the emperor was strong, ensure the spiritual well being of the legion and to enforce the edict of the council of nikea (i.e. no card tricks to confuse enemy while rest of squad sneak up from behind and bash head of enemy in...)

Again nothing about weapons but i would say as they were to keep the marines belief in the emperor high, you could use a crozius fashioned as an aquilla. Ooh and not far off what i said origionally!

S.O.N.

P.S. The Crusade pattern armour is awesome man as are the rest of your marines, hope you find some time to do more!

No problem son of nocturne :)

Thanx for your comment! So...the way I understand it the chaplains had:

-Black armour (perhaps)

-Skull head motif (perhaps)

-no crozius; perhaps something similar, or any other close combat weapon

Anyone no for sure whether they had black armour? And the other stuff like that little Rosarius thingy?

P.S.: Am working on more, slowly coming on...termies and assulties...maybe dreadies and veties ;)

@cheeseychaoslord:

Here's the source of my heads:

-Black reach boxed set: 1x MkV helmet (the one you see at the bottom of the 1st page; in the box it's the marine with the rocket launcher)

-Black Templar sprue: 1x MkIV helmet

-Armour through the ages set: one each of MkI, MkII, MkIII, MkIV and MkV armour (metal models)

-Standard Space marine box: 1x (or 2x?) MkVI helmet

But for more info check out this link (4th post from top):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...25&start=25

Hope this helps

:) Thanx for your dedication and help son of nocturne! I do have the Collected visions myself, but right now their in my flat in Freiburg, Germany, some 500 km away. They were just too heavy to take with me on my hols ;)

Alrighty, so I guess Black termie armour and skull motif will work. Gotta find out whether the Crozius would work or not...and what to use instead...

Thanx anyways for your help mate ;)

Another quick question:

I'm considering adding a dead traitor marine to the base of the chaplain. I'm still undecided which traitor legion t choose. The obvious choice, of course, would be Iron warriors, but I hate the colour scheme and don't like them much in any way, so I won't use them. The Night Lords and Alpha Legion weren't present at the Siege of Terra, so I won't use them either. And Death Guard doesn't feel right; I'd have to change the dead marine into a plague marine, and I just don't fancy doing that. Nor do I fancy Thousand sons or Emperor's Children. This leaves:

-World Eaters

-Word Bearers

-Sons of Horus

Now, I have questions considering the colour schemes:

-Did the Word Bearers and World Eaters already use the red armour? Or maybe only in part? Or was the white armour of the Eaters so bloodsplashed by then that it had turned some form of sick dark red?

-WHAT COLOUR do the sons of horus have??? (discounting the black 1st company) Grey? Green? Pale Green? Greyish Green? Greenish Grey? Someone please help me along...I'd really like to do a Son of Horus, but I don't want to do anything until I know what colour...

Can anyone help me with the colour schemes? And which Legion should I choose, and why?

Small update:

First of all, I've finally decided to give my Mk 2 Crusade armour wearing marine a flamer:

gallery_42816_3520_107930.jpg

Secondly, I added a helmet stripe to my vet sarge's helmet:

gallery_42816_3520_250155.jpg

Thirdly; I've been generally working on my other vet sarge:

gallery_42816_3520_338047.jpg

helmet detail:

gallery_42816_3520_42163.jpg

Kneepad detail:

gallery_42816_3520_146523.jpg

Left shoulder pad detail:

gallery_42816_3520_178628.jpg

Right shoulder pad detail:

gallery_42816_3520_30043.jpg

And now a queston:

I am still generally working on the sarge; but at the moment I'm particularly unsure about the banner. All I know is I want it quartered. Anyone got suggestions? I need to fit a Black Fist, a Black Cross, a diagonal white stripe on red background and (ideally) a roman 1 (I) on it? Any ideas?

gallery_42816_3520_338047.jpg

Archived