Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Ufthak

The crosses in the first two pics are rosarius' that give chaplains their 4+ inv save. I don't remember chaplains being part of pre-Heresy fluff or in the HH books.

I disagree. Those tiny crosses are on the Terminator sprues - specifically, there are five of them, one for each Terminator. I believe they are intended to be Terminator Honours medals. If Terminator armour was reserved for honored veterans pre-Heresy, then I would say you should distribute those little crosses amongst your models, using them to mark the ones you want to identify as veterans.

I tell you what mate, that MkII armour you have done is damn fine work. For a first attempt you have probably surpassed most peoples first, second and probably even third efforts using GS, very commendable!

Great looking army you have here!

I think they are all Crux Terminatus' i.e. terminator honours. The smaller ones are the medal/badge awarded to a marine that is trained to use tactical dreadnought armour and can still be worn when the marine is wearing power armour. I think the larger ones signify the same thing, but are larger versions that appear on the termies' armour.

TDA was around pre-heresy so I'm pretty sure they were around pre-heresy too. Some special ones were awarded to the termies that were with the Emperor when he boarded Horus' battle barge.

Thunder hammers - yes, but as you said, not sure they were common place for termies

Storm Shield - I'm pretty sure they were around

Pretty skull things - would make a great crozius

Skull question - I have no idea if it has a specific meaning

Very nice, crisp looking ultras!

Just nociced...

@Brother Loring:

The wire you can see on the photos isn't the one I'll ultimately use. The one you can see is extremely bendy brass, and the only wire I've currently got. I'm looking for a 1mm straight steel rod, about 10-15 cm or so long, and I would never have believed how difficult that is to find, I'm still searching. I drilled the holes in such a way that the backpacks are at 90° with the ground, effectively carrying the marines straight forward.

Remember, you can't go at 90o, to the floor as gravity will just pull you down. They need to be angled up a little to compensate. But thats just my opinion.

WOW guys, thanks for all the answers!!!

@Brother of the Temple:

Thanx for the compliments ;) Regarding chaplains: they definitely were around. In "Galaxy in Flames", Lucius battles Charmosian, Chaplain of the Emperor's Children, who wields a heavy Crozius. There's even a pic of Charmosian in the "Collected Visions".

@Sword Brethren:

I have enough shields I could use...just not sure whether I can. But then, since my assault marine sergeant already has a shield, I guess I should just go along with them.

@Pulse:

Thanx man ^_^ It DOES take time and above all patience, but in fact it's very doable. But, of the 8 armour marks, the MkII-III are definitely the most difficult ones (shame they just look so damn good - the MkIII is my personal favourite).

@Brother Loring:

As always, thanx for your help ;) Concerning the jumppacks: my idea is that gravity really wouldn't make that much of a difference, that they would be powerful enough to carry the marine straight forward. And, if not, well, then they're just descending their flight :)

So...

The little crosses appear to be awards to veteran marines allowed to wear tactical dreadnought armour. So I guess I can use them. But then, they DO look exactly like the Rosarius...which, in the time before the Imperial Church, wouldn't really have been around. I dunno...anyone got more ideas on this?

The Crux Terminatus is on more than just the shoulderpatch...and since it wasn't around at the time of the heresy, I guess I'll have to get rid of it. Dang.

At least i can use the shields and perhaps the hammers. Good!

Thanx so much for your help guys! Anyways, if anyone's got more ideas on this, please don't hesitate to post!

--Ufthak--

I'm pretty sure the Crux Terminatus was around in the heresy era. I couldn't quote you a mention, but as the Emperor made some special ones for the termies that assisted him on Horus' battle barge, I would assume more standard ones were around before it. After all, it is just a mark to say you have been trained in the use of TDA, which was definitely around pre-heresy.

Hm, I haven't seen the Crux on any artworks depicting Heresy era termies; besides, doesn't each Crux (in the 41st Millenium) contain a shard of the Emperor's armour? Nah, I don't think I'll use them, don't particularly like them anyway. But thanks ;)

But then, they DO look exactly like the Rosarius...which, in the time before the Imperial Church, wouldn't really have been around. I dunno...anyone got more ideas on this?

While today most chaplain models have rosarius that look exactly like terminator honours , on older models some rosarius had the form of imperialis(the winged skull motif) or the aquilla(the imperial two headed eagle).

And these symbols. Could I theoretically use them as the head of a Crozius Arcanum for my Chaplain?

The first one is the winged terminators cross, the second could be the iron halo while the third one is probably the imperial laurel. The second one would work good as a crozius head.

And a last question: the skull-motif, which is everywhere on Imperial armour and weaponry...would that have been around during the Heresy?

After the heresy the human skull motif could be the symbol of Emperor- the man-god of the Imperium who died for the humanity, before the heresy it could signify that Space Marines are the angels of death.

If your interested in honour markings of space marines: Librarium article about Marine Honour Badges

Small Update. Did a little work on my assault marines lately (couldn't stand painting the f***ing smurfs any more). Here's the results. Sorry about the very bad quality pics, sometimes they just don't come out right...

gallery_42816_3520_273211.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_146949.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_104451.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_266273.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_106545.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_256789.jpg

Slowly coming along. I still have to solve the problem with the wire (though I may have found a way to use shashlik-kebab sticks of steel...gotta try). Anyways, not gonna be doing much over Christmas, I guess, so I'll say seeya next year and a merry Christmas to y'all folks :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

No, it's not really intended to be used in games, it's more of a hobby/modelling project. If I used them on the field I'd simpy use Codex: Space Marines and make a few modifications, provided my opponent's ok with it. For example, using the autocannon, the reaper autocannon, etc. Most of these modifications would be a disadvantage for me anyway - who would use a Reaper autocannon over an assault cannon?

But for those of you who'd like to stick to the rules as much as possible, I guess a combo of the codices is probably the best thing, as you said.

I love all the old models/rehash models! The devastators are awesome! This must have cost quite a penny and some time as well! Could you put up a tutorial on the mk2 model you greenstuffed? I've been trying to get that effect for a while now with no avail. Keep up the awesome work though! First Imperial Fists I've seen that I've thoroughly enjoyed!

Thanx for the praise, Mongol and Trajan :) Personally, I don't think I'm THAT good, especially when comparing my work to that of my brother (Linky) But generally, I'm quite happy qith my Fists. I regret having to tell Brother Trajan that I'm scraping the Devastator with the Autocannon, since I'm looking for an older style Autocannon (Anyone want the marine, lemme know).

@Brother Trajan:

Yes, it cost time and money, but not more money than any standard marine would. As for the MkII Crusade armour tutorial, I'll try to do one tomorrow or so :P

Archived