Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Ufthak

@Skirax:

Thanx mate :HQ: Yes, Codex-wise my Imperial Fists wouldn't work at all. I have a marine bearing an autocannon, I have a (WIP) Termie Squad with Reaper Autocannon, close combat power weapons and twin-linked bolters - coz that's what it was (apparently) like during the Horus Heresy. My army wouldn't work 'dex-wise, it's more of a modelling project ^_^

But you're using the TF rules, aren't you? So in the previous editions, your army was completely Legal?

@Terminatorinhell:

Yes, I finally started on the Termies yesterday :) "Pea Head"? Haha, didn't know that was their nickname... No, the "Pea Head" Termies are too difficult to do, and there seems to be no evidence that armour mark was ever used during the heresy. No, I'm going for Termies in "Cataphractii" armour as described in the Horus Heresy Artworks and the Sketchbook of John Blanche:

gallery_42816_4368_1757.gif

They'll be equipped with Lightning Claws, Reaper Autocannons, Heavy Flamers, Thunder Hammers, Storm Shields, Power Weapons and Twin-Linked Bolters. If they turn out how I want them to they'll be awesome ;)

Thanx for your kind words!

@Skirax:

Hm, I wouldn't know. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "TF" mean? (I'm not so good with abbrevations) Perhaps my army would have worked in earlier editions (especially in 2nd Edition, when you could equip an entire squad of termies with assault cannons...), but that wasn't my aim. My aim is to create a showcase army for the era of the Horus Heresy - so they'll be organized and equipped as such, regardless of what the Codex says.

This means:

Older armour marks (II-VI)

Older version Jump Packs

Fewer Jump Packs

Less heavy Melta/Plasma weaponry

More light Melta/Plasma weaponry

Fewer/no assault cannons

Autocannons/Reaper Autocannons available

Autoguns for Scout/Recon Marines

"Recon" Squads

10-man Devastator Squads all armed with heavy weapons

Fewer vehicle options

20-man Marine Tactical Squads (optional)

and more...

If my opponent is willing to game me regardless then I'll game him happily :) If not, it'll stay a mere showcase army.

Hey folks!

So, I did some work on my termies the last couple of days :D Here's some pics of the Sarge and one standard Termie!

gallery_42816_3520_1276.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_44942.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_62672.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_123875.jpg

Admittedly, they're still very WIP; I still need to add loads of "oaths of the moment" and the like to make them overall more veteran-y and elite-y. Also, I need to file off the drop of blood on the shield and add a cross or a fist in its place.

Currently working on a further termie with lightning claws as well as the Chaplain in termie armour :) Hoping to post further pics soon!

Overall: what do you think?

Before you comment, remember that I am doing a heresy-era force, so the termies look a bit different (and are equipped/organized differently) from those of the 41st Millenium.

I would also like to (once again) ask for advice on the Sons of Horus colour scheme, since a dead Son of Horus will join my Chaplain on the base. Any ideas how to do the colour scheme?

Crits, comments and help much appreciated!

@Skirax:

Hm, I wouldn't know. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "TF" mean? (I'm not so good with abbrevations) Perhaps my army would have worked in earlier editions (especially in 2nd Edition, when you could equip an entire squad of termies with assault cannons...), but that wasn't my aim. My aim is to create a showcase army for the era of the Horus Heresy - so they'll be organized and equipped as such, regardless of what the Codex says.

This means:

Older armour marks (II-VI)

Older version Jump Packs

Fewer Jump Packs

Less heavy Melta/Plasma weaponry

More light Melta/Plasma weaponry

Fewer/no assault cannons

Autocannons/Reaper Autocannons available

Autoguns for Scout/Recon Marines

"Recon" Squads

10-man Devastator Squads all armed with heavy weapons

Fewer vehicle options

20-man Marine Tactical Squads (optional)

and more...

If my opponent is willing to game me regardless then I'll game him happily :huh: If not, it'll stay a mere showcase army.

TF = Tempus Fugitves

And they made a brilliant Campain weekend and made an amazing Pre-Heresy rules set for it that included alot of the stuff you've done, which is why I suggested it ;) If you want, I can send you the rules set?

@Skirax:

"TF" = Tempus Fugitives, ah NOW I geddit ;) Thank you Skirax! I vaguely remember flicking through the ruleset some time back, then couldn't find it anymore and kicked myself for not having downloaded it. I did download the Ruleset from Bell of Lost Souls, which was also very good. Yes, I guess my army could work using those rules :)

In any case, if you could send me the Tempus Fugitives Ruleset I would embrace you like a long-lost battle-brother and gift you with a beautiful, pre-heresy master-crafted artificered sancitfied Power-of-the-Empror-imbued bolt pistol (if I had one that is) ;) No seriously, would be GREAT if you could send it to me!!!

@Vairocanum:

Thanx for the praise :P On the first page are 2 marines in MkV armour. One is wearing a helmet from the "Assault on Black Reach" box, the other a helmet from the "Armour through the Ages" - set.

Hope that helped, and good work ;) Post some pics (or a link) if you have a Heresy-era force!

In addition to advice on the Sons of Horus colour scheme, I'd like to ask whether anyone has a Word Bearer colour scheme tutorial. I'd like the red to look resplendent yet dark at the same time, which could be tricky...I was thinking Blood Red followed by a wash of Devlan Mud or Gryphonne Sepia.

Any ideas?

Help would be much appreciated!!!

Awesome work on your army mate :) its nice to see a Heresy era army take place ;) nice colours and and characterised army! like it allot!

And in the way of painting the Lunarwolves id say that you should paint them in the pailgreenish gray coulor to match nicely i hestoricly... though id actualy prefere the way it is painted in the Collected Visions of the Horus Heresy! With the dark iron armour trimed with gold and red gloves and the red eye of Horus.. and mayby ad a touch of green wash over the ironcoulord armour?

Or you could doe some bloodstaind world eaters ? as im thinking that the dark bloodred of the word beares might take a bitt to mush fokus? Could also work with some twisted purple and golden boys of Fulgrim? ;)

Hope im of some help atleast in your superb looking and fun to watch army of Dorn! :D ... :cry:

Cheers mate

@Emperor's Scourge:

I am generally trying to emulate the official plates for Astartes armour (as I posted above). As I said, the termies on the pics are still WIP and prone to change. I am considering gorgets, but not yet entirely sure, since the helmets look great as they are and would be somewhat obscured by the gorgets. But thanks for the advice, I think I'll decide at the last moment :lol:

@Xavier Targhost:

Thanks very much for your kind words :woot:

Concerning the colour of the armour of the Sons of Horus:

That's precisely the point. Fluff as well as the HH-Books state that they had pale green / green-greyish armour, but most artworks show the armour as grey or even gunmetal colour. Which kinda confuses me, since I don't know which way to go. Green? Grey? Greenish grey? Boltgun Metal?

I could circumvent the whole affair by just letting the marine be one of Abaddon's 1st Company - black. But that would look too Black Legion-y.

Concerning other Legions:

As stated earlier, I narrowed down my choice of traitor Legions to the Sons of Horus and the Word Bearers. I ruled out the World Eaters because, since my Army is themed at the time of the Siege of Terra, they would just be plain Blood-Red Khorne Berserkers - which I find kinda boring. I would have LOVED to have done Emperor's Children, but apparently they didn't fight much during the Siege, prefering to go and massacre, beat, torture and experiment with the civilian population of Terra. So that rules them out.

But thank you for your advice :pinch: Any ideas on how to do red Word Bearer and greenish-greyish Sons of Horus Armour?

Humm true.. ;) though id goe for the way they are in the artwork personaly.. looks evil and cool.. Sons of Horus and word bearers looks nice thogh the boys of Lorgar migt draw away tyhe atention a bitt.. ? even though you have the yellow ones :P hehe..

But if i where to do the Word Bearers id go for some dark blood and gore red with loots of partchments and skriptures on them and some spikes.. so thy look twiste and wile..

As for the sons of Horus id most likly go for the way they are in the Collected Visions.. dark iron with gold trims and the eye of Horus diplayed on them and some gruesome trophys like skulls and spikes.. Have almost never seen any palegrey greenish ones to be honest.. and i have been around the game for 18 years now.. :huh:

Humm.. and if im not mistaken the boys of Angron where still at that point in white and blue? with lots of bloodstains and battle damage.. maby a skull trinket or two.. hehe :S and yupp red boys of angron might be boring ;)

And well Emperors children where along for a while before they went sadistic population slayers so could ad one or two maby? maby a bitt wisted with some skin or mutation showing ther coruption.. ?

And if you look in the CVoHH you can se there is cyclone launchers for the terminators too.. and if im not mistaken there are Assaultcannons and stormbolters mentioned in some of the HH books too but werry rare and few ones and thats closer to the real heresy that they apear.. so might be a few revered ones in a few Legions..

hope it helps :rolleyes:

Cheers

Yeah, I guess I could use Assault Cannons, Storm Bolters and Cyclone Launchers, but that would be a bit boring in my opinion. I'll stick with the "old" stuff :(

As for the Word Bearers: the way you described it is exactly what I'd like to have. Lots of parchments/Scrolls/inscriptions on armour and the like, perhaps some spikes and stuff. The Red should be nice and gore-y but still dark (Which is why I'm planning to use Blood Red washed with Devlan Mud...any better ideas?)

Concerning the Sons of Horus:

If fluff states they were green, then green it is. Though I will definitely make a point of mixing in some grey, and I might make the trims brass or red, with big yellow or amber eyes on the shoulder pads.

Concerning the World Eaters:

As far as I know the World Eaters repainted their armour red after Isstvan V...so they would have been random Khorne Berzerkers during the Siege of Terra.

As for the Collected Visions:

Though the artworks are beautiful and it's a great book, I wouldn't give it too much credit. It features purple Ultramarines, grey Death Guard, bright green Blood Angels, Emperor's Children-y Sons of Horus, inaccurate inscriptions to the various pics, a heavily corrupted "Chieftain Torgaddon", Marines wearing MkVII and modern Termie armour, Cadians and Catachans portrayed as "Calth Infantry" and loads more mistakes, so take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

But many thanks for your advice :) Who knows, maybe I will do some dead Emperor's Children some day!

Here's a little teaser of my 3rd (very WIP) Termie. Joining him is a Word Bearer - everyone gets what he deserves, you reap what you sow ;)

gallery_42816_3520_32741.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_120286.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_438422.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_209873.jpg

Hope you like it :) What do you think?

Very cool love the gorging of a Word Bearer (the HH was their fault after all)

Thanks guys :D

Well, strictly speaking the heresy wasn't the Word Bearers' fault, but Horus', or rather, that of the Dark Gods; but the :) Word Bearers did accelerate/fuel the whole affair, and created the circumstances which started the Heresy.

In any case, my termie is making one of the buggers pay :P

Mmm yeah sounds nice and i understand ;) hehe..

humm there is one nice one of the sons of Horus in the" The Horus Heresy" Pre-showcase section on page 4 a bitt down like 3/4 of the page made by "Pacific81" a nice example ;)

hope it can be of servis.. ?

And a nice and wicked Fist gutting a curesed son of Lorgar there :D

And colour vise on the Word Beares sounds nice too maby add som black wash too if needed be? im eager to see how it turns out! Razakell has awesome Wordbearers for inspiration btw.. ;)

And Yes i see what you meen with the CV of HH book allot of mistakes there but awsome book nontheless... Though the part wih Torgeaddon confuses me allot... :huh: ..... :P dark hesesy maby..? and hope Loken is still around too in that case :lol: hehe..

Cheers mate :D

Wow, thanks for the advice Xavier :Elite: Pacific81 has a great Son of Horus indeed! That's just what I'm aiming for!!!

Couldn't find Razakell's Word Bearers unfortunately, could you direct me to them? Would be great :FA:

As for the Collected Visions:

Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT book :Troops: but there are a lot of mistakes which could have been easily avoided. Sloppy work by Mr. Merret...though, to be fair, he otherwise did a great job.

As for whether Loken is truly dead: bah, he probably isn't...wild theories about his fate abound, and Graham McNeill's and Dan Abnett's vague hints aren't helping at all...

Hehe ;) true..

And great <_< and yeah here you go.. he is on page 4.. in "work in progress" for the moment.. RazakelXIII is the corect name for him :blush: and he have a awesome and wicked Word Bearers army!

Hehe.. Jupp i can agree.. Some sloppy mistakes but othervise awesome book..

So any new progress with your fun and nice Fists ?

Cheers mate

Ok, checked out RazakelXIII's Word Bearers - looking very nice :) Might aspire to go in that direction!

In any case, here's a little progress on my termies. Again, it's more of a teaser than anything else, since there's still much to do; but I hereby present to you the first pics of my WIP Terminator Chaplain!

gallery_42816_3520_403541.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_385493.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_46263.jpg

What do you think? Any C&C?

Vey nice there mate :D some legs with momentim in them so it looks like he is charging would look awesome! there are one pair from the Wolfguard terminateos with allot of momentum in them and a skull kneepad that might look wery cool with some minor wolftotems removing ;)

Allso love the skull you have there where is it from? cant place it.. ? weard being me who knos most parts there is.... :) ...... :)

and very nice converted mace arm too btw :)

Thanks Xavier :lol:

Hm, a pose with "momentum" in it? Sounds like a nice idea, and I like the prospect of using Wolf Guard termie legs. Unfortunately, for my Chaplain I already have legs and a base, I'll be using those.

As for the head, I regret I can't tell you were it's from, since I pilfered it from someone's Bit Box :P But I guess it's from the Warhammer Fantasy Undead Skeleton Warriors or something...

Since I have a lot on my mind and my time currently I dunno when I can post the next update, sorry...I'll do my best!

Maybe like a walking stance, like Calgar's. Striving from his last kill to his next. He looks awesome, clean bitz :lol:

And that last post, with the guy socking the other dude. Would you mind if I stole that? Thats freaking awesome and full of win.

Your whole army is fantastic, and your Terminators greatly reflect that awesomeness.

Great looking army.

Archived