Heresy Era Imperial Fists

Ufthak

Hi there guys.

Now, I finally need to tackle the question on how to do the Sons of Horus colour scheme. My lone Son of Horus is done and ready to be painted, but I am as yet unsure how to.

Here's a few pics which show the variety of colours which official fluff, artists and modellers have used:

Official Index Astartes pic:

gallery_42816_4368_2812.jpg

Looks like a very very pale green to me, with a black trim.

Cover artwork for Horus Rising:

gallery_42816_4368_77608.jpg

This time, it appears rather grey, with a gold trim.

Wonderful Sons of Horus Marine by Iacton:

gallery_42816_4368_19212.jpg

Iacton appears to have used the colour scheme from the Index Astartes and added a little more green.

Beautiful model of Garviel Loken of the Sons of Horus:

gallery_42816_4368_35238.jpg

The scheme here appears to be a slightly metallic greenish-grey, with a gold trim.

Now, the question arises: who do I believe? None of them? All of them?

Really need help and advice here...anyone got an idea?

Black Library isn't really canon so you can ditch the HH novel cover unless you really want to use it. the first pick would be your best bet imo but it really comes down to preferences so it's your choice, or you can wait for more replies and see what the fans want ;)

awesome Fists btw :woot:

Edit: Forgot about the change to Sons of Horus, listen to Durus ;)

In the artwork of Horus rising they are still the Lunar Wolves. After the Legion had been renamed Sons of Horus they also changed their color to ocean green.

I really like your army by the way. :woot:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

@Shotbreak:

I'm not changing to Sons of Horus, I'm just doing a lone dead one on one of the bases of my termies.

@Durus:

Although the artwork is on the cover of "Horus Rising" (where they are still Luna Wolves), I'm pretty sure they are Sons of Horus because

a ) there is absolutely no Wolf insignia to be seen anywhere

b ) they seem to have the eye of Horus as a symbol on their shoulder pads

c ) Luna Wolves were pearl white, not grey

On the cover of "False Gods" there is a depiction of Luna Wolves in their white splendour, with wolf insignia and everything.

I'm thinking that the cover of "False Gods" was originally intended for "Horus Rising" (the scene depicted would fit perfectly - when the Luna Wolves storm the false Emperor's Palace at the beginning of the book) and the cover of "Horus Rising" was intended for "False Gods" (the scene depicted would also fit perfectly - when Loken's and Torgaddon's companies, meanwhile Sons of Horus, assault the fortifications at the end of the book together with the World Eaters). Maybe the Black Library thought they would want the more awesome of the two artworks on the first book, and so switched them.

In any case, I guess I'll go for a greyish green. Ideally, I'd like to use a standing GW colour without having to mix; anyone got suggestions what I could use?

I'm looking for a greyish-green, not too light/pale. Anyone got ideas?

Help would be great! :)

The cover of Horus Rising was done by Neil Roberts, whereas the cover of False Gods was made by Philip Sibbering (who is a member of this forum btw), which would explain the difference. These are artist's renditions.

I would just go with the information published by the studio (in this case the Index Astartes). The pictures with the scheme can be seen here (I know you posted one of them yourself :) ).

The Eye of Horus was originally the Eye of Terra and a badge of honor given to Horus by the Emperor when he became Warmaster if I recall correctly.

Most of the cases the cover of a book has nothing to do with it's contents, as it serves the purpose to attract peoples interest in order to sell. With the Black Library this might not be the case as often, but I wouldn't think that the scene necessarily has to be something that has happened in the book. The Lunar Wolves had already been crusading for quite a long time when the story of first book is set.

Anyway, I think rotting flesh might come closest to the grey-green. Might need a bit of tweaking.

Id say go the way Iacton have its a nice one and apealing to the eye.. as for the coulours to use.. humm..

maby mix one yourself from some of the Space wolf bluegrey and dark angels green, or skaly green if its still out there? maby a touch o green wash in it ? :ermm: to get the slightly blu tone in the pale greenish grey? some thoughts..

im curious how it goes with your sweet Chaplain though :) and still think that it should have some legs with some momentum in them..

Have you had the time to take a look at the ones i suggesed? they have a skull knee on the left leg and a easyely removed wolftale talisman on the right thigh..

cheers mate

Thanks for the answers guys :)

Concerning the Chaplain:

No, I haven't had time to check out the Wolf Guard Termie legs. Meanwhile, I've settled on some standard termie legs, though I will re-arrange them a bit since the base will also include the Son of Horus.

Concerning the colour scheme:

Hm, I think I'll go Iacton-style-ish. Still, I'd really like to keep it simple - no mixing colours. My experience tells me that you use more paint than you need and that the mix never turns out the same way. No, I'd like to use a standard GW-paint without mixing. Anyone got suggestions? Rotting flesh is a little too pale for my liking...what else could I use?

Note: a shop in my vicinty also sells Vallejo paints, which are quite good as well. Anyone know whether Vallejo has a colour I could use?

Humm thats a though one... Humm what about Ogre flesh? isent that one pale green-greyish? and maby a wach of blue or green? maby both? or the black one :mellow: wish i could be of more help mate.. though im very curious how your chaplain will turn out? :)

As far as I know there is no "Ogre flesh" paint. The Ogres from the studio have been painted with a mix of Graveyard Earth and Shadow Grey with Kommando Khaki and Bleached Bone mixed in for highlighting.

Here are the color charts for the vallejo game colors and the model color range. There are quite a few different greens in there that you could probably use.

Thanks for the help, Xavier and Durus! ;)

I think I have finally settled on a colour: Vallejo German Field Grey. It's more green than grey, not too dark and not too pale; I think that should do it!

Unfortunately, as stated above, I'm rather busy at the moment and won't be able to do much work on the models in the coming weeks. Summer, for me, unfortunately means more work than during the year. Apple-picking and wine-making's up as from beginning of August, and I'll be woeking round the clock. But here and there I may get round to do some small updates :D

• 1 month later...

Hi there once more mate :D

Just whanted to let you know that in the book Nemesis in the HH series they deskribe the sons of Horus wearing steelgrey armour rimed in silver amonst the pages and i do think that it might be that they diskarded there pailgreenich grey armours colours when they shruggd of the shackles of the emperor? and that is why they wear the steelgrey armours like in the colected vissions of HH.. ? and its the same way they are depicted in most artwork... just a thought.. mutch like the Word bearers took on the crimson armour insted of the stone grey.. and that way they look abit more sinister too.. :)

Cherrs mate and hope to see you back here soon!

@Xavier:

Thanks a lot for the info :P Though there seems to be no fluff whatsoever on the SoH ever switching colour scheme, so i'm rather sceptic. In any case, thanks!

Unfortunately, due to many changes in my current everyday life, it could well be possible that I could be absent for a LOOOONG time - may be going to India for a while, though that's still unsure.

Yupp its what i have read mostly too.. but though i have not seen or heard anything about it from the part where the heresey actualy have begun? and in all the art even from all the work in the heresy there is the steelgrey armour both by Adrian Smith and most of them? and well first time i read about the armour colour in a book its in Nemesis and it says there too about them wearing the steelgray.. thogh i agree with you Doghouse and you are a highly respeected member too here soo :mellow:

Ohh that sucks abitt Ufthak.. why if i may ask? though i hope too see allot more from you even if it is the case.. and hope for the best!

Cheers mate!

Concerning the SoH:

I think I'll stick with greyish green :)

It's a bit difficult to explain; important fact is that I currently have neither the time nor the resources to continue my modelling projects (By God, if I had the money for the excellent Forge World armour marks... *drool*), and that I shall be in southwest India for a few months. In part, I see it as a spiritual journey, which'll hopefully provide some clarity to the disorganized mess in my head :(

I'm only leaving mid-winter, though, so perhaps I'll be able to do a couple of updates in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks!

So, I did some work on my termies the last couple of days :) Here's some pics of the Sarge and one standard Termie!

gallery_42816_3520_1276.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_44942.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_62672.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_123875.jpg

Admittedly, they're still very WIP; I still need to add loads of "oaths of the moment" and the like to make them overall more veteran-y and elite-y. Also, I need to file off the drop of blood on the shield and add a cross or a fist in its place.

Currently working on a further termie with lightning claws as well as the Chaplain in termie armour :( Hoping to post further pics soon!

Overall: what do you think?

Before you comment, remember that I am doing a heresy-era force, so the termies look a bit different (and are equipped/organized differently) from those of the 41st Millenium.

I would also like to (once again) ask for advice on the Sons of Horus colour scheme, since a dead Son of Horus will join my Chaplain on the base. Any ideas how to do the colour scheme?

Crits, comments and help much appreciated!

Hey man I just found these in the gallery, did you make the shoulder pads? They look magnificent!

Hey redscorps!

The shoulder pads are resin, and I acquired them from a small polish bit-making company over the net. They're quite famous in this forum:

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main...;products_id=88

They make very good stuff; and they're realy customer-friendly, usually sending more than you actually ordered (I once ordered 10 Steam Knight helmets and they sent me 14 for the same price).

Hope that helped!

Hey redscorps!

The shoulder pads are resin, and I acquired them from a small polish bit-making company over the net. They're quite famous in this forum:

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main...;products_id=88

They make very good stuff; and they're realy customer-friendly, usually sending more than you actually ordered (I once ordered 10 Steam Knight helmets and they sent me 14 for the same price).

Hope that helped!

Awesome, you're a champ!

I'm looking forward to seeing you throw some paint on them!

• 8 months later...

Hello hello hello!!!

Alright folks! FINALLY, I'm back and working at my fists again. A 3-month stay in India, problems in the family and various other projects have stopped me doing anything during the last half year, but now I've finally got round to doing something :)

I recently continued my work on my termie chaplain. The legs have been heavily modified, but I'm happy with them:

gallery_42816_3520_380134.jpg

gallery_42816_3520_1587362.jpg

All the Green Stuff work is some of my first attempts at sculpting. While not perfect, I'm quite happy with the chainmail, the leather strips and the skull on the knee:

gallery_42816_3520_352226.jpg

Would really appreciate crits & comments :)

Also, I'm at the verge of painting the dead Son of Horus on the Chaplain's base. I've FINALLY decided which main colour to use, but I still need some advice as to the shoulder pad colour, shoulder pad trim, and the colour of the eye of Horus.

Various artworks show black, red, grey, gold, and yellow trim. The same goes for the shoulder pad colour. The eye of Horus is sometimes depicted red, sometimes yellow, sometimes black.

Any advice on which of these would fit best?

Would really appreciate help!!! ;)

I'd say split the difference and make it a fiery orange with the traditional cat eye pupil, can't go wrong there.

As for trim color, I say pick your top 6 favorite colors, assign them numbers and roll a die. Let the dice gods choose. :confused:

Some fantastic marines you got there man.

@Janitor:

Thanx for the advice :D I'll think about it, but I guess I'll have a yellow eye, and a gold or black trim. Thanx also for the praise!

@Doghouse:

Wow, if Doghouse lauds my Green Stuff work then I am truly honoured :) Thanx man!

im sure this is brought up somewhere but why did you put the assault marines jump packs on up side down. the fins should be at the bottom to direct air flow... otherwise i love the yellow looks nice. and i would agree go with the greyish green color for those traitor goons lol

@Red Moon:

The packs fitted perfectly in this way. Also, concept art for the Horus Heresy (from the Collected Visions) shows the fins upside, however little sense that appears to have.

Seriously, a lot of technology in 40K makes no sense at all...but I'll put that down to us heathens not understanding the whisperings of the machine spirits :)

Archived