Chapter Master

Jangalak

I just want to check I am thinking this one through right...

If my CM is deployed from a vehicle he cant use the Orbital Bombardment because being deplyed counts as moving and in order to use the Orbitasl Bombardment he cant move that turn - right?

Following on from that...if the CM targets a unit which he has LOS for with the Orbital Bombardment can he reduce the scatter by his BS? My mate plays IG and was using this to reduce the scatter from his Leman Russ battle cannon, but I couldnt find a comparative rule for the Space Marines.

No if it scatters then it scatters whatever you roll. Its to demonstrate the inaccurracy of firing from space.

The Leman Russ however will reduce the roll by the tanks BS.

Jangalak, reducing scatter distance for explosive or ordnance weapons by the firer's BS is part of the basic shooting rules for these weapons. The rules for a Chapter Master's orbital bombardment on the other hand specifically say that you never reduce the scatter distance by his BS, because it is so imprecise. Perhaps you should check out the rulebook and the Codex Space Marines some time soon, it will only improve your game.

Well if the OP didn't know where to look or what to look for then it's a legit question to ask, that's what the OFFICIAL RULES forum is for. Telling someone to:

check out the rulebook and the Codex Space Marines some time soon

(with no useful page references I notice) doesn't help anybody.

Cheers

I

I have to jump in and say this though....

I'm with Legatus on this one, despite the lack of page number.

There are only two places in the SM Codex to find out the needed stats for OB. One of which is in the back of the book summary sheet, and the other (the rule itself) just-so-happens to be mentioned on that same summary sheet, because it tells you to go to page 52. On page 52, it tells you in no ambiguous terms whatsoever, that if the OB scatters, it always do so with the full 2d6. It even mentions that the BS of the CM simply doesn't matter.

I have no problems with someone asking rules questions that are confusing, or perhaps buried in an obscure place in the rulebook that you may not think to look at. But this, to me, is a rather clear case of simply not reading the relevant rules at all.

"Note than if an arrow is rolled on the scatter dice an orbital bombardment will always scatter the full 2D6" - the Chaper Master's Ballistic Skill makes no difference."

Nope.

We're here to help provide answers and NOT make assumptions about a person's ability to find facts in a book however easy or difficult that might be. Criticising a person's lack of ability to do such has no place here.

See forum rules on Constructive Posting:

The Bolter & Chainsword promotes constructive discussion about all aspects of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby. This is a public forum that is viewed by members from a wide range of age groups and cultural backgrounds. Please be considerate of others when composing your replies.

With the two points of this thread already answered in previous posts (and mine) my suggestion was indeed to go and read the whole rulebook and Codex Space Marines, which may not have bee OP specific, but I did get the feeling that it might be a good idea for him.

As the question 'poster' I feel I should chip in on this mini-arguement I have inadvertently created!

Firstly my apologies for asking what probably seemed like a very obvious question, I must admit to being a little lazy and asking for clarification on the 'scatter rule' for OB, I didnt know the Guard Codex at all and I was wondering if I had missed something in the main Rulebook about ordnance and scatter, I can handle a little chastisement for this - fair enough.

And secondly thanks for your answers and the opportunity to get even stupid questions answered, I am pretty new still (only been playing for the past six months) and despite my fevered reading of the rules/codexs I still get tied up in a knot on occasion.

Cheers

One thing to remember is that because it's both Ordance and Barrage, you can fire it at anything on the board, even if its out of LOS. Because you're already taking the scatter hit (indirect barrage also prevents you from subtracting your BS from the scatter), there is no advantage for being in LOS of your target. Snipe from complete safety. :D

Archived