Valkyries and Flying Bases

Warp Angel

Well if I get one of these crazy flying contraptions for my inqusitor, I'm going to model stormtroopers repelling off the sides which will make the model within 2 inches of the models solving the problem. ( by allowing units to climb up and down the ropes as an alternate method. )

Not sure if this has come up, but how would it work with this: "note that a skimmer must be set down on the table and left in place at the end of its move- it can not be left hovering in mid air!" PG 71??

EDIT: What i mean is, either this is redundant, or they have contradicted themselves, because i dont think anyone is going to keep their skimmers in their hands for the game.

Not sure if this has come up, but how would it work with this: "note that a skimmer must be set down on the table and left in place at the end of its move- it cannon be left hovering in mid air!" PG 71??

I think that means you need to place it on the table with its base... Not take it off its base and put it on the table.

page 2 first thing

"the most important rule then is that the rules aren't that important! So long as both players agree, you can treat them as sacrosanct or mere guidelines - the choice is entirely yours"

aka apply common sense , shockingly me and the guys i game with tend to point this out all the time

common sense over rules a lot of the rules

for example

trees provide a 4+ cover save which is the same as a ceramite building common sense would say no so we went back to 4th ed where they were 5+

basically tinker around with the rules have a chat and see what your opponent thinks

for us its made the game more enjoyable since we saw this

page 2 first thing

"the most important rule then is that the rules aren't that important! So long as both players agree, you can treat them as sacrosanct or mere guidelines - the choice is entirely yours"

aka apply common sense , shockingly me and the guys i game with tend to point this out all the time

common sense over rules a lot of the rules

for example

trees provide a 4+ cover save which is the same as a ceramite building common sense would say no so we went back to 4th ed where they were 5+

basically tinker around with the rules have a chat and see what your opponent thinks

for us its made the game more enjoyable since we saw this

Good idea....

On a side note (if pretty sure the answer is no,) but do skimmers still not block line of sight? One of my friends think they do and says "if its not covered in the rule book, the other edition shines through." All i have to say on that quote it :)....... no

So your telling me you angle up/down on your weapons when firing from the position of the weapon?

If so, I think your being rather odd.

Is it not said, "Measure from the weapon"? You use true line of sight for vehicles and monstrous creatures; if you didn't measure from the weapon directly, how do you determine what cover is intervening vs being fired over? Do you not measure up when determining whether a squad on top of a building/ruins is within weapon range? That 6" (or, for some tall buildings, 9 or 12"!) can make a lot of difference.

Certainly, you should play however way makes sense to you and your opponent. If you find it easier/faster to simply measure horizontal distance, more power to you. I'm simply arguing here that, by RAW, you measure from the barrel of the weapon which means from the literal barrel from the weapon, to the target point - against infantry, usually angled down.

Whenever there is a vertical difference between the firer and the target (for example, against an infantry squad in a multi-level ruin), I angle upwards or downwards as appropriate, except in the case of blasts or templates, which are always oriented along the horizontal (the template vs multi-level ruin example in the book demonstrates this). I don't think it's particularly odd for me to do this.

1) My group uses laser pointers to determine LOS.... keeps it simple. That also tells us whats in cover, and what isnt.

2) Nope... we measure strait out.... just like the scatter for template weapons, otherwise one could say that it was 5" up, and scatters along the plane or some such nonsense. I notice you say you dont scatter along the plane... but isnt that an odd change? Well, sorry obviously you dont, as thats how you do it. But for me, thats very weird.

And I agree... if your group plays it that way, then by all means... more power to you. No one in my group has ever espoused that interpretation before.

1) My group uses laser pointers to determine LOS.... keeps it simple. That also tells us whats in cover, and what isnt.

2) Nope... we measure strait out.... just like the scatter for template weapons, otherwise one could say that it was 5" up, and scatters along the plane or some such nonsense. I notice you say you dont scatter along the plane... but isnt that an odd change? Well, sorry obviously you dont, as thats how you do it. But for me, thats very weird.

And I agree... if your group plays it that way, then by all means... more power to you. No one in my group has ever espoused that interpretation before.

Uhh... Well, looks like you're the only group on the forum who plays the right way ;)

Uhh... Well, looks like you're the only group on the forum who plays the right way <_<

Excuse me.... I was just putting forth where I came from, since there was an obvious difference in opinions. I can see where hes coming from, and how the rules might be interpreted that way... and was just sharing mine. No need to be snippy about it.

40k is 3-dimensional, measure distances for shooting from above looking down but physically angle the ruler so that it touches both models, this will give you the true measure of range.

Uhh... Well, looks like you're the only group on the forum who plays the right way :P

Excuse me.... I was just putting forth where I came from, since there was an obvious difference in opinions. I can see where hes coming from, and how the rules might be interpreted that way... and was just sharing mine. No need to be snippy about it.

Sorry... Was a bit moody that morning ;)

The only reason that Valkyrie has a 4.5" flying base with a stand the size and thicknessit is is to stop the damn thing falling over.

And for whether they can redeploy; have any of you guys heard of an arcane piece of technology, known only to the greatest adepts of the mechanicus...

It is called............... a ladder.....

was thinking the exact same thing myself.

Archived