General rule clarification please.

Netfreakk

So, I just played a game with people at a local GW store and I didn't really know the rules about this as I usually play with my friends at home and we just tend to play it like this:

home scenario:

During deployment

"OK, these guys are coming in from reserve and they'll be deepstriking. etc etc etc"

GW store scenario:

Turn 2+

"OK, these guys that are coming in from reserve will be.... hmm... ok deep striking. These other guys lets see if they come in... Ok they'll be out flanking. OK finally these guys will also be coming from the table edge."

So here's my question:

When do you have to tell your opponent how a unit is coming in from reserve? Please be as specific as possible, ie:

You can tell your opponent after they roll to see if they come in.

you have to tell your opponent which one is coming in what fashion all at once and then roll to see if they come in.

you have to tell your opponent at the deployment time.

etc

Thanks for helping me.

Yes, see rulebook, page 94, "Preparing reserves". A player has to declare to the opponent during his own deploymen which units are kept in reserve, which character joins which unit (and is rolled for together), which unit embarks which vehicle (and is rolled for together) and which unit then enters the game via different means (regular, deep strike, outflank).

pg 94 preparing reserves

durring deployment.....declare whats in reserve.....state how they will be coming in (enbarked in what transports, attached to what squad, using what special rules)

So yeah, during deployment is when you declare, unless the unit has a special rule that says otherwise (for example you are allowed to declare heroic intervention when you come in by deapstrike before rolling scatter) you got to say so before turn 1.

Edit Ninjad by Legatus, good work Legatus

Yes, what we do in our store is we will deploy by unit type (HQ, Heavy, etc.) and as we go along we'll show a unit (typically by picking it up for visuals sake) and say whether or not it's being deployed via whatever method.

Here's a different take on this - in the Deathwing assault special rules in C:DA, it says "Up to Half your DW terminator squads held in reserve may enter play via deep strike on the first turn".

Would this be an exception to the rule?

There is no restriction on what method of arrival those units WOULD have used if you didn't use DWA. In essence, the answer to your question is yes.

i.e. You could have declared that all 3 (for example purposes only) of your Deathwing Terminators were being held in reserve, to WALK onto the board. Yet due to the DWA rule, you would be allowed, on your first turn, to use Deathwing Assault to bring 2 of those 3 in via Deep Strike. The third squad would still be bound by your initial declaration of walking onto the board normally when they arrive.

Nope. It very clearly says DWA works "as described in the Deep Strike rules", which are very clear about how deploying using Deep Strike works. The only thing DWA does is let you choose 0-50% (round up) of your Deep Striking Deathwing Terminators to automatically enter play from reserves on Turn 1 with no rolling, which is a unique decision opportunity.

Atra, I disagree.

When you deploy a Deathwing unit, you may choose to put it on the table or in reserve, as described in the Deep Strike Scenario Special Rule.

At the beginning of your first turn, you may choose up to half (rounding up) of the Deathwing Terminator squads kept in reserve...

Nothing dictates that only those units kept in reserve that are Deep Striking may be chosen from.

Your interpretation would mean that a Deathwing Terminator squad may NEVER be held in reserve to simply walk onto the board. Perhaps I am mistaken and that is the case, but I can't see GW forcing players to use Deep Strike all the time. *shrug*

Perhaps that is the larger question - can Deathwing Terminators be kept in NORMAL reserves?

DWA says you may choose to put it into reserve as the Deep Strike rule. Once youve done that, theyre in reserve and allocated as Deep Striking. Choosing to use DWA or not, youre committed to Deep Strike.

Likewise, the 5th edition rules allow any unit to use the Reserves rule. DWA doesnt disallow that, and any unit is free to make this choice as well. DWA is referring solely to itself, as the only ability placing units in reserve at the time of writing.

You could selectively say the 2nd paragraph of DWA doesnt preclude choosing normal reserve units, but as its all under the heading for the DWA ability youd be hard pressed to find any opponent who didnt see the obvious connection between the first and second paragraphs referencing the same mechanics. Its all detailing the function of a single rule. Breaking it up is no different than trying to selectively quote any other single sentence out of a rules block without the surrounding context.

All in all, youre just reading into it what you want to see. DWA is very clear, and both mechanics in the 5th edition rules are distinctly clear. Youre free to play how you want but at least note in your claims that youre stretching things. No one wants to show up at a tourney or something and start off misusing an ability on their very first turn of play.

Archived