Gets Hot

Tanker11

I tried to use the search function, but came up empty handed. I'm new to 40k and was curious about the "Gets Hot" rule, pg 31 in the book. The rule says that "normal saves apply."

1) Does this mean that the mini gets to roll its save or does the AP of the weapon apply so that a Marine with a save of 3+ won't get a save unless he has an invulnerable save?

2) Secondly, does the "Gets Hot" allow for cover saves even though practically speaking it doesn't make much sense for someone to get a cover save from a weapon they are holding in their hands? RAW to me says "yes" since it says that "normal saves apply."

I also checked the GW FAQ for the main rule book and it does not address either question.

For #1, the model always gets its armor save, even if the weapon would normally have AP2. As for #2, I really don't know what the ruling would be, but I'm inclined to say that cover saves do NOT apply, as it is not a shooting attack against the model.

Ahh, a classic.

Had you used the search-function like you claim, you would have found a thread or two on this very subject.

Short answer;

1. You get your save. "Gets Hot" wounds does not have an AP.

2. No coversave. Is the model getting hit obscured from the point of view of the firing model?

@Steelmage - thank you ever so much for your polite response. I have copied and pasted the "Search" results from utilizing the search function for your edification. I do not know the idiosyncrasies of the search function on here since I am new to the forum and to 40k. So please forgive me if my lack of understanding has offended you.

> The Bolter and Chainsword > Forum Search Engine

> Search Results

You searched for: Gets Hot

Unfortunately your search didn't return any results.

Try broadening the search parameters by searching by different keywords or altering the format of your search.

Remember to use the wildcard '*' to increase the number of matches. Apple* will match 'apple' and 'apples'.

Search Again?

I do not know the idiosyncrasies of the search function on here since I am new to the forum and to 40k.

Yeah, the search function here is...special :-D

It took me a while to get used to it as well.

Welcome to B&C and 40k ^_^

I justify it in my head as:

If you're at the wrong end of the barrel, you're being shot by a concentrated, high energy, armour piercing weapon.

If you're holding it when it blows up, the blast is radiating, not concentrated, so less powerful and piercey! Armour and Invincible will work, cover not, as you have a direct line of sight to youself! Unless you've got your eyes wrapped in bandages...give it to a Sister Repentia!

Archived