Luna Wolves 1st Company and Commander

Murphestus

Comments appreciated. My first run at painting straight black in a while and also some minor kit bashed conversions.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/ulth/PedroandStern1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/ulth/PedroandStern2.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/ulth/PedroandStern3.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/ulth/PedroSolo.jpg

and a top shot of my WIP Lib/Sicarius counts as.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll232/ulth/LibrarianandLRbit2.jpg

its nice, but why are they black, the legion is white and only the termi squad and assault squad of the 1st company are in black,they look like niether,and abbadon is 1st company captain, and he wears termi armour, overall the conversions and poses are nice but i think you should change their colour

Exactly!

Btw, I am not debating fluff with anyone. :D In tournaments figs need to be WYSIWYG and hence Pedro equipment. I am going to do a lot of counts as characters - working on a lysander now. Might post some shots when I get some paint on him.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Like the use of the maximini heads.

And the second lot of XVI legion I've seen today.

And it's unknown whether all of the 1st co wore black. While the Justaeren and Catulan deffo did, the rest is unknown, so I'd roll with the black.

Meta.

I was debating if I'd use those maxmini heads myself, they look pretty good, you should highlight the black with codex grey, and what did you do for his face? also, for more detailed shots of models, macro(should look like a flower on the camera) is pretty useful

First off, please just take my comments for what their worth but I did do a lot of LW research before I embarked on modeling some up myself. So I’m not trying to be a member of the fluff Gestapo, in fact many of my conclusions were not supported in all cases.

As far as I understand there are several common SM bits that were not common in the pre- or Heresy era context:

No curx terminatus

No back banners

No aquilas on chests (Unless you’re Emperor’s Children)

And there were several other bits that were common:

Studded shoulder pads (per the HH novels)

Mk IV armor (I cheated with Mk V)

Helmets that are either Iron Warrior or Zerkers w/o the bunny ears

Bolters had the clips under the barrel i.e. swapped with the grip. (Except in the HH artwork)

Bolters had plain cases (no skulls, aquilas or other embellishments)

They did have red, “kill marks” placed on the bolters (for everything they shot to death), on their right grieve (for everything they kicked to death) and on their helmets (for everything they killed via atomic head butts… I guess).

And in general, all marines should look almost like a carbon copy of the other. Only the sergeants had the Roman crests on their helmets, otherwise, everyone in the rank-and-file looks exactly the same.

You can get away with black clad HQ’s & elites but everybody else should be white, sometimes described as pearl.

Also note that only the standard Landraider was deployed Pre-Heresy. The Redeemer, Crusader & whatever were all after.

As stated, just some things to consider. Have fun with it. -OMG

Like the use of the maximini heads.

And the second lot of XVI legion I've seen today.

And it's unknown whether all of the 1st co wore black. While the Justaeren and Catulan deffo did, the rest is unknown, so I'd roll with the black.

Meta.

"Pedro's" head is from the Baal Pred kit. It's basically bronzed flesh with the ogryn flesh wash and then high lighted once the wash was dry. Around the eyes I used a black paint pen (the tiny tiny ones) to give him more of a grim and menacing look, at least that was the goal.

OMG. For the regular rank and file marines I'm with you. These are the 1st company - Sternguard - and I I think a little individuality is ok. You're right about no aquilas, which is the double headed eagle. Since the SM's are known from being the angles of death I think some wings every now and then on vets and character models are ok.

The Redeemer is there to win games, not fluff competitions :o But again, I am not going to get into a fluff debate on the internet.

The rest of the army (outside of my terminators to come at a later date) are white.

For the bolters, anything with an aquilla or anything else other than a skull has been trimmed off.

I got some tips on highlighting black - after these were done - and that is to use some bleached bone mixed with a little black and then then washed over with Badab. I did that on the combi weapons in this shot, but not the armor itself. I think I am going to try that once I get back to revisiting these guys.

Archived