Question on Independent Characters

Hello everyone, I have two questions about ICs.

First: If I have declared an IC is attached to a squad in reserve, I understand that both are rolled for as one. However, as I am deploying/bringing the combined unit + IC onto the battlefield is it possible to then separate the IC from the unit during their "move onto" the board move? Since ICs can leave their unit in the movement phase, I don't see how this is a problem: the combined unit lines up along the table edge (but not on it), then the IC goes one way and unit he was attached to goes another, and if the IC is >2" away at end of move he is no longer attached. I believe this is correct but want to make sure.

Second: An IC is attached to a unit (not retinue) that gets assualted by 2 different units. I understand how this works my questions comes in this particular case: After the assault is worked, the squad the IC was attached to is completely destroyed, but the IC lives (and caused two wounds on enemy). Both of the attacking units are no longer within 2" of the IC (or anybody else cause they are all dead), but caused more wounds/won combat. However, in this case the unit the IC joined is completly massacred/gone and additionally, no members of either two assualting squads made attacks against the IC, they both attacked the now destroyed unit he was originally attached to.

How does the assault get worked out at this point?

pg 40:"at the end of a combat, if a unit's opponents are all either destroyed or falling back, so that the victorious unit is no longer locked in combat with any enemy, they may consolidate.

Since the IC is now alone and has resorted to being an IC / unit of one, are the original two assaulting squads now technically no longer locked and able to consolidate?

pg 49: "Once all attacks have been resolved, these characters are once again treated as normal members of the unit they joined (from determining assualt results onwards)."

Does this rule apply even if all the "normal members of the unit" the IC joined are all gone/destroyed? Does the now unit of one/IC have to take a Morale Check? I guess this question depends on how the above question is answered.

Thanks in advance, hope someone is able to understand what I am trying to say.

1) According to the GW FAQ, no.

Q. If an independent Character is joined to a

unit that is outflanking, when can he leave the

unit?

A. If an independent character is arriving from

reserve together with a unit, whether it is

outflanking or not, he cannot leave the unit

during the turn it arrives. He can, of course, leave

it as normal from the following turn.

2) In a multiple assault, everyone keeps piling in until one side is the winner and the losing side has no more units engaged. In other words, no is the answer. They ARE still locked and must pile-in towards the IC.

2b) Yes, the IC would have to make a Morale Check. All losing units make checks at the same modifier.

Archived