Land Speeder Question

Dusktiger

Okay, so i have a bit of a conundrum that i would like to probe the minds of the other members here for their opinion on.

I was reading a tactics article on the GW site about land speeders, found HERE.

Now, the section that's got me confused, is this:

If they move more than 12", Land Speeders cannot fire a single weapon. If Land Speeders move more than 6" but no more than 12", they can fire one main weapon (S7 or higher) and all defensive weapons (S6 or below). Lastly, if Land Speeders move 6" or less, they can fire all their weapons at once.

The Land Speeder can only be equipped with one weapon that would be classified as a main weapon: the Multi-Melta (ignore the Tempest variant for now). All other Land Speeder weapons fall under the defensive weapon category (including the Typhoon Multiple Missile Launcher). What does that mean? Regardless of the armament, Land Speeders can move up to 12" and fire every weapon on board.

Now, the 5th Edition rule book states defensive weapons are Str4 and lower, but, the Land Speeder doesn't have weapon options of Str 4 and lower, apart from the Frag Missiles from the Typhoon system.

So here is my question; since this is a current article on their site, and they either amend or remove articles that no longer apply to the current rule sets, does this mean this quote from the article is a rule exception made just for the Land Speeder about the Str Value of defensive weapons due to its weapon choices?

huhnn. well that's just stupid. cause then that means "all" the weapons on a Land Speeder, apart from the Typhoon, arguably, are Main Weapons. That seems wrong that you don't get any defensive weapon choices on a Land Speeder.

That seems wrong that you don't get any defensive weapon choices on a Land Speeder.
The Tau skimmers don't either, and they are main battle tanks and heavy transports. Both used to have defensive weapons in 4th edition until people complained too much, so here we are.

That seems wrong that you don't get any defensive weapon choices on a Land Speeder.
The Tau skimmers don't either, and they are main battle tanks and heavy transports. Both used to have defensive weapons in 4th edition until people complained too much, so here we are.

Actualy the gun drone attachments have their own rules that let them still fire as long as at least one gun can be fired nromaly. Strait out of luck with with smart missles though.

I think Grey Mage meant Shuriken Cannon, but that is an upgrade.

Actually I meant that the falcon gets two guns, one is a pulse laser, one is an upgrade, and then you have a rapidfiring bolter. You used to be able to move and shoot all three weapons in most cases, only the bright lance being unable to do so. Thus, its effective firepower has been cut by half, the rather underpowered shuriken catapults not withstanding.

Archived