Defiler vs obliterator

If you only plan on fielding one Defiler in total, I'd drop it and go with 2 Obliterators.

Reason being most likely that your single Defiler won't live past turn 1.

Obliterators are more flexible, easier to hide and are great for terrain & true LOS sniping.

Two defilers on the other hand.. :P

Reason being most likely that your single Defiler won't live past turn 1.

In my game yesterday my single defiler lived (and fired battle cannon) 6 turns with a dev squad and a LR firing at it the whole time :D

I know...that never happens.

To the OP, it really depends on the rest of the list, but usually 2 oblits are your best bet.

Two oblits are better in general. But in specific lists defilers are better, even if single. These are lists with plenty of armor/mc saturation other than just rhinos (DPs, dreads, vindis, other defilers, etc). They are the best in heavy armor saturation cc lists. In other words Chaoszilla. Otherwise oblits range from very slightly better to a lot better depending on the armor saturation.

2 Obliterators, this should be obvious to any player whos main concern is winning. They are much more versatile and arguable harder to take out too. If only the defiler had armour 13 *sigh

in my game yesterday my single defiler lived (and fired battle cannon) 6 turns with a dev squad and a LR firing at it the whole time

and what does it say about your opponent chill ? his anti tank should be drop pod melta dreads/ironclads or sternguards with combis or attackbikes . if someone uses devs or LR[!!!] to anti tank , then something is wrong with the list .

But thats offtopic. 1 defiler or 2 oblits in 2k pts ? non of those . Either 6 oblits or 2/3 defilers . If you cant take those dont use them. any other unit that you can spam will work better[well any out of the working ones].

and what does it say about your opponent chill ? his anti tank should be drop pod melta dreads/ironclads or sternguards with combis or attackbikes .

He did have squads with meltas and bikes/attack bikes with meltas, I just didn't let them near my defiler.

It said more about my opponents rolling then anything else. Whenever he shot at my defiler he rolled badly to hit, for armor pen., AND on the damage chart. It really didn't say anything about him, his list, or my great generalship :P , just one of those times where I kept getting lucky and he kept being unlucky.

Heavy support is support to the list in a heavy fasion.

This question is somewhat redundant and falls into bias or background-less based preference answers for the person asking the question.

Share the list I say! Otherwise I wont know whats better for the list. (though the bias part may come into effect, I own 9 oblits and 3 defilers, and I use them regularly)

In small games, Defilers. In larger games - obliterators. If the list is tank heavy I would go defilers (they aim over rhinos while getting obscure saves from them) or if its deep strike heavy I would go obliterators. It all depends!

I can`t believe i forgot to add my list. :rolleyes:

hq

Dp

wings

warptime

ttal 155

dp

wings

mos

lash

total 155

4x troops

10 csm

iocg

rhino

2 melta

total 860

2x 10 lesser

heavy

3x defiler

or

2x defiler

2 obilitorer

total 1880

so i have 120 pts left, so if i go with 3 defiler then i would get some more lesser. If i take 2 defiler with obilitorers, then i would add 1 more obili and some more lesser.

Since you already have 2 defilers i think you can really go either way. You've got plenty of target saturation in that list. The advantages to taking the oblits would be some ap2 and lascannons, but another defiler would give you more horde control and more juicy s10 power weapons.

Like the others said, Obliterators over the final defiler.

SPread the defilers or have them run along side your rhinos for support. You have the lash thing down, and AP2 templates(plasma cannons) would help if you faced terminators. For the final munch munch for a rounded 1 lash force.

Use the rhinos to act as Defiler cover, and the legs of the defiler as obliterator cover (or deep strike them along with the daemons that assault). If your not worried about killpoints, split the daemon units into 5's, so you can keep objectives and/or be absoloutly positive a deep striking obliterator unit will have some daemons to get in front of them for cover saves and/or assault the enemy so that oblits wont get fired upon after they get to shoot some.

Oblits and Defilers work well together if you use lots of heavy support. Good luck with it!

Edit:

120 points huh? Add a greater Daemon. Trust me if you double-prince, a greater daemon will add the extra punch and take fire off your defilers.

Archived