[Artwork] Space Marine Chaplain

Valcor

Hail Brothers

I've being lurking around this wonderful forum for a while now, emerging once in a blue moon to post here or there, I think a grand total of 5 times :lol:. I've finally built up the courage to post a work of my own. Using a very recently acquired graphics tablet I finally felt comfortable adding a little color as I could always undo ^_^. C&C welcome.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu152/Eternal_Havoc/colourchap7flat.jpg

I am going to give you some tips for color, since you are just now jumping into it:

Don't always use pure white tints for your highlights. Mix it with the natural color of what the light source would be (or find it's mix in photoshop's color slider). Pure white and pure black in large quantities tend to desaturate color, and it's making Mr. Chappy look a little "washed out". So for instance, if he's standing in a fluorescent light you will get more blue-ish highlights. If he's standing under natural or iridescent light, you will get more yellows.

Same advice for the helmet. Don't shade it with gray, shade it with a brown or a dark yellow ochre type color.

If you want to mimic trad. painting, you can take a suitable yellow and set the opacity to like 20% and glaze on another layer until you've built up the desired color.

You could definitely push the values just a little more, esp around the helmet area. and the lower shoulder pads. Otherwise he pops pretty well.

Photoshop is a picky beast but it's great to experiment with color on!

Thanks you all for the comments, much appreciated, they give me the confidence to post more works here in the future. Thanks for the tips Berzerker Pezz Ill be sure to keep then in mind as I work on my next piece.

-Valcor

Thanks you all for the comments, much appreciated, they give me the confidence to post more works here in the future. Thanks for the tips Berzerker Pezz Ill be sure to keep then in mind as I work on my next piece.

-Valcor

If it's Power Armor related, post it here - can't wait to see it. :P

If not, PM me.

Archived