Space Crusade mini!

So, I found space crusade stuff in my bits box, and I could not help painting him up one evening.

These space crusade minis are part of our miniatures-gaming heritage.

http://mediawonder.com/gallery/albums/userpics/A_Space_Crusade_Space_Marine.jpg

For those who aren't in the know, Space Crusade was a game jointly published by Games Workshop and Milton Bradley in the UK (as I understand it, it was never released in the US, but it might have been published throughout Europe). It is basically a version of Space Hulk for younger audiences (without some of the more complex rules).

So, what does everyone think?

Nicely done!

I must say the proportions on that mini are rather naff, but I do wish GW would go back and take a look at it as the pose was perfect - it wasn't exactly athletic, but you could stick 3-4 of them in a corridor and they at least looked like a group of marines advancing rather than the monopose statues of 2nd edition or the Macragge/Black Reach marines with poses akin to the dead robot in Jabbas palace in Return of the Jedi..

Nicely done!

I must say the proportions on that mini are rather naff, but I do wish GW would go back and take a look at it as the pose was perfect - it wasn't exactly athletic, but you could stick 3-4 of them in a corridor and they at least looked like a group of marines advancing rather than the monopose statues of 2nd edition or the Macragge/Black Reach marines with poses akin to the dead robot in Jabbas palace in Return of the Jedi..

Are we looking at the same models dude?

Edit, not that the paintjob is bad though, quite the opposite, but the actual model is pitiful... :P

Honestly, I kinda see what he means. I can't pinpoint why it is that way, but a group of Space Crusade (or even Space Hulk Terminators) looks like they're waiting to spring into action, rather than that they're statues. Or bad dancers, in the case of the Macragge marines.

Honestly, I kinda see what he means. I can't pinpoint why it is that way, but a group of Space Crusade (or even Space Hulk Terminators) looks like they're waiting to spring into action, rather than that they're statues. Or bad dancers, in the case of the Macragge marines.

I have a friend who likes to refer to the static box set marines as "Huggy Marines." It comes from the way they are hugging their bolters to them.

It started with this guy, and went on with the 2nd ed box set marines, the 4th ed Maccragge marines, and continues today in the Black Reach box.

I guess there weren't any 3rd ed huggies though.

Anyway, I'm planning on using this guy, along with some other extremely old GW plastic marines as Stunt Doubles in my Movie Marines army.

I got that game when I was about 10... loved it. Its what started a thin thread of connection to 40K that went on for another 20 years before I finally joined in the hobby. Wierd how those early days killing genestealers with my Blood Angels kept that ember burning. The minis seemed so cool then - and there is still a kiche retro cool about them, but my goodness they suck compared to most of the modern sculpts hehe. Nice paint job on him - brought back some good memories seeing that bayoneted bolter in action once more :)

Archived