One Unit Vs Two Units in Assault

Redleg

My friend declared a Waagh! and his mob of 25+ Orks assaulted on group of Marines. Because he had so many Orks, he was able to spread his numbers where several Orks from the mob assaulted one unit of Marines (we'll call this GROUP 1) and other Orks from the same mob (we'll call this GROUP 2) moved in a different direction and assaulted a second mob of Marines.

Once this movement was complete, he still had Unit Coherency.

Once we resolved my Marines portion of the close combat, he lost Unit Coherency.

After some horribly unlucky rolling on my part, 2 turns later the GROUP 1 orks killed the Marines they were engaged with.

Here are the questions...

Is there anything wrong with the Mob being split up in 2 groups and out of unit coherency after taking casualties? When the mob took casualties, my friend removed the Orks in between the 2 Groups (that were maintaining the coherency). What is the Ork Mob required to do regain Coherency?

Even though GROUP 1 was more than 12 inches away (the 12 inches doesn't mean anything rules wise...just that they were nowhere close to GROUP 2), I still couldn't shoot at them because GROUP 2 was still in close combat with a group of Marines, right?

Thanks for the help.

Once this movement was complete, he still had Unit Coherency.

Removing casualties so that unit coherency is broken is allowed. assaulting a second unit is not as easy though. You said the big mob "moved in a different direction", and that there were "orks between the groups that kept the unit coherency".

The thing is, models from an assaulting unit cannot be moved one to this unit and one to the other unit 8" away and then one or two models in the middle to keep up unit coherency. According to the assault rules on page 34, each model from the assualting unit has to try to make contact or at least come within 2", but above all else it MUST end it's assault move within coherency with a model that has already performed it's assault move (the only exception is the model that moved first). So the Ork mob would not be allowed to contact a second unit, unless there would have been other models from the same Mob they would end up in coherency with. Models must move in contact, within 2" or stay within coherency when they move, so it is not that easy to simply move a few models in the open to build a "bridge" to teh other unit either.

Perhaps everything that you did was ok, but it sounds like that assault move may not have been completely legal.

Legatus has it right, nothing wrong with a multi assult, and you can go out of coherencey due to casulties, and as long as at least one model from the unit is locked in combat you cant shoot at it. However every model but the first must maintain coherency to a unit that has already moved, and each move must go base to base if able, and if not able must go within 2" of a base to base model, and if it cant do that it must go into coherency, and if it cant do that its not legal. But assuming he did the assult move legal (and with a mob that large its fully possible he did) then everything subsiquent you described is also legal and correct.

You could not shoot at the "unengaged" group of that unit. However, I find it hard imagine that if that was a legal assault move that after the consolidation/pile-in that the group 1 Orks were 12" away. Remember after every assault phase, every model in an engaged unit has up to 6" to either get into base-to-base or at least within 2" of a model that is base-to-base.

Archived