base size

basicly one day at my GW I was playing with my terminators and some ass fly-byed the table I was playing on and my terminators being old versions to me (think they were 3rd edition) and got called cheater for having them on small bases along with my leader (who is lysander). Now I hate it when idiots get all lawyery about this sorta thing but what difference does it actually make, sure they can't move through small gaps but in terms of shooting your always the same distance away but anyway heres my question: Does it matter what base size I put the model on as long as the models can reasonably fit onto them? Not saying putting bloodthirters on infantry base (if you did send me a pic on how you balanced it!) but putting a terminator on the smaller 25mm and vice versa by putting a marine onto the larger 40mm bases. Just want to be sure I ain't breaking rules but I'm pretty sure he was just being some idiot, Just want clarification.

I quite often when facing terminators make gaps inbetween drop pods too small for a terminator to fit through (1 inch from hull of drop pod a and one inch from the hull of drop pod b leaves a small 3/4 inch gap between drop pods usually.

sometimes ive I have not landed the pods right a small base can just fit through one after each other, but a terminator or larger base doesnt have a chance in hell. If you tried to move your terminators through the gap, claiming their smaller bases allowed them to do so, I would probably argue, but if you treated them like they were large based models I wouldnt care.

Now I hate it when idiots get all lawyery about this sorta thing but what difference does it actually make, sure they can't move through small gaps but in terms of shooting your always the same distance away but anyway heres my question: Does it matter what base size I put the model on as long as the models can reasonably fit onto them?

yes it does if your charge out of a LR it gives you extra range as its not the center , but part of the base has to be within 2" of the ramp. techniclly you could do very long custom bases [lets say 10" long] and have a charge range of 12"+2+base size +6".

in the 4th there was a tournament ruling about rebasing terminators , rigth now there is non , so its more or less free game what you use.

thanks for the replys, it came about when I wanted to put my forgemaster on a larger base so I could put some tank bits to make him look like he was recovering a tank. thanks for the replies.

PS. sorry mods for not putting it in the right place

I believe the rule is "They have to be based on the base they came with or bigger."

This is how I remember it.

I did have a funny idea once, to have a gun-line of grots on scenic bases advance across the table.

Technically legal, ties up anything in their path, and now confers a cover save to everything else in the army.

My entire Deathwing army is all old models. I have not had any question regarding playing with them since that is exactly what I bought them with. When I decide to redo the entire army with the new plastic termies, they will of course be all on the newer base.

indeed if you have the old models you are fine on the small bases, however if you put new models on small bases you ARE cheating. I have a whole shlew of old termies on the small bases, and a couple of newer ones on large bases, its kinda funny when i put them in the same squad.

Archived