2 combat squads in a rhino

If I have two standard marine squads, can I combat squad them both, and then re-combine them, giving a 10 man squad with two missile launchers, and another with two flamers, who then jump in a rhino, 2 fire points giving a twin-flamer transport for assaulting those pesky walking grunting vegetables?

And if this is legal, can I set up with this arrangement, or do I have to wait for the first round before embarking the 2 combat squads?

Thanks in advance

you can never rejoin combat squads, once combat squaded they are seperate units for the entire game. Also you must decide to combat squad or not at deployment, or when you declare how all your reserves are coming in. The only exeption to this is the drop pod, where you can decide to combat squad upon disembarking from the droppod.

What about assigning a vehicle to each combat squad. I just lost a battle where the opposing player had a Razorback for each combat squad. The amount of firepower he threw at me was incredible. I asked his to show me where each combat squad can get a separate vehicle, and he pointed to the new codex on page #51 which basically says each combat squad is treated as a separate unit for all game purposes. He also claims a certain army building program let him do it.

I think this is cheesy and he bent the rules a little too much. Any thoughts?

I asked his to show me where each combat squad can get a separate vehicle, and he pointed to the new codex on page #51 which basically says each combat squad is treated as a separate unit for all game purposes.

Maybe, but you buy the transport for the whole squad. A tactical squad can "select a Rhino or a Razorback", which I take to mean a single vehicle for the whole squad. The split into combat squads occurs only after you have created your army list, and so taking a transport for each combat squad would be illegal, as that would mean you have taken two transports for a single squad.

What about assigning a vehicle to each combat squad. I just lost a battle where the opposing player had a Razorback for each combat squad. The amount of firepower he threw at me was incredible. I asked his to show me where each combat squad can get a separate vehicle, and he pointed to the new codex on page #51 which basically says each combat squad is treated as a separate unit for all game purposes. He also claims a certain army building program let him do it.

I think this is cheesy and he bent the rules a little too much. Any thoughts?

Nope you cannot take a dedicated tranport for each combat squad, as they cannot be split untill deployment. Army building program are never a argument for if you can do Somthing, as they are almost universaly wrong, also they are not your codex.

Also - no army building program will let you do this. Not army builder, not the GW program, none.

Now he CAN purchase 6x 5man squads and mount them all in razorbacks, but what he CANT do is place down 12 of them and say they are all from tac squad troop entries.

Yeah, he purchased only 2 tactical squads but had them mounted in 4 razorbacks and 2 devastator squad and had them in 4 razorbacks as well. it was quite a handful trying to knock out 8 lascannon-armed razorbacks. He pummeled my land raider the first turn and turn it into scrap on the 3rd try.

Your friend was "creatively interpreting the rules" aka cheating.

When you make your list, the tactical/devastator/etc squads are your units, and these units get A transport.

Combat squadding happens "in game" and you can't allocate extra transports to them then.

Archived