Is +1 Initiative better then +1 Attack?

travh20

I was debating about what icon to give to a squad of regular CSM's. I like the mark of Khorne, as +1 attack is nice, but then I started thinking about the mark of Slaanesh. To me it seems that for 10 points less, the extra initiative against MEQ could almost equal an extra attack in itself in the long run, as they would less attacks back since a few would likely die. This would leave you with more guys attacking for longer into the fight. Every round of combat this would increase since every unsaved wound lost at initiative 5 is one less attack for them. Is that right?

It really depends on what the squad is armed with, IMO.

If you've got a power weapon in that squad, I say go for the +1 Init. The power weapon guarantees some of their guys will die before they attack. Regular attacks will not make enough difference against MEQ when they go first, due to matching WS, T4, and 3+ saves.

If you've got a powerfist, go with the +1 Attack. That bad boy will always go last, so you might as well get more swings out of it. It's also a nice deterrent to charges when you have an even number of attacks as the charger (I think, CSM have 2 attacks standard, right?).

Yes, CSM do have 2 attacks thanks to their CCW and bolt pistol wargear. That is why a 10 man CSM squad with Icon of Khorne gets 40 attacks on the charge! Of course 30 attacks at int. 5 on the charge seems damn good too.

What you said makes sense, depending on what weapon they have is the best way to decide what icon to give them. I guess a CSM without a champion would probably be better off with Icon of Khorne.

Doesn't Icon of Khorne require you to have "matching" CCWs? Would that work for the PF, since he has a special and a pistol?

No, just blind +1 attack, nothing else said.

Personally, I think the best Icon is that of Chaos Glory...So the squad wont run away. If your using chaos god Icons, your almost better off just to get the respective cult troops for the added fearless aspect. Though, Attacking Simo is not so bad and most of the damage is done from special weapons. Powerswords can be unreliable, therefore Mark of Khorne I personally feel is much preffered so the powerfist gets more swings. All you really need to do is hit with it, while the power weapon is more dependent on the wound roll as well.

Archived