Wings and Dangerous Terrain

This just came up today: A player with a Daemon Prince with wings advised me during game that his DP can enter or exit difficult terrain while flying without making a difficult terrain test, due to an entry in the Chaos Space Marine FAQ which advises that a winged model moves like Jump Infantry but is not actually Jump Infantry. As such, they gain movement related benefits without the movement related penalties as they remain Infantry at all times.

I argued that if the DP moves like Infantry, than the model needs to make a difficult terrain test (i.e., roll 3d6); if the DP moves like Jump Infantry, then the model needs to make a dangerous terrain test.

He argued that his FAQ trumps the BRB.

From all I can tell, the FAQ just allows a winged model to embark on a vehicle, while movement is still treated as the “mode” dictates, be it good or bad.

Which is correct?

SJ

If it moves like Jump infantry, it is succeptible to things that affect Jump infantry movement, such as danger test..

Jump infantry always has the option to footslogg 6" instead of jumping, in which case they follow infantry rules for difficult terrain.

As Cedric says, it's the type of movement, not the class of model (infantry, jump infantry, or whatever) which determines the rules set used for that movement. The rules say that it moves like jump infantry, so you use the whole of the rules for jump infantry movement. If you want the benefits, you have to take the negatives as well - it's a bit like saying that because it's not jump infantry that it can't fly!

Archived