Cavalry And Bikes

Hey you guys.

i tried searching for this but didnt really get any hits.

The way i see it did cavalry just beat everything in case of mobility ?

I mean as far as i can gather from the Rulebook, a fast attack skimmer like the Tau Piranha is able to max thrust 18 inches - and not being able to shoot, or 12 inches and shoot.

Then there is the Bike, it can move 24 inches, and then do nothing, but gets a 3+ coversave.

or move 12 inches, shoot and assault - which gives it an effective combat distance of 18 inches...

Now the cavalry, which i hope im wrong about cause this seems really Wicked.

Cavalry Moves 12 inches in thier movement

then shoot, or Run for up to 6 inches and then assault...

but thier Damn assault is ALSO 12inches... giving them an effective distance of up 30 inches of Charge, thats almost outranging regular firewarriors with thier 30inch fire...

fluff wise, are GW trying to tell me, that a dumb human horse back rider, can move the same distance as my shooty Tau can fire, before he has the time to reload ?...

Giving that i have these rules correct, and considering that their might be able to bring some form of grenades, IG has just gotten a 30inch Anti Tank infantry squad... Am i wrong about that ? or is all basic tanks, which aint a Land raider going to be worthless against an IG with mere Horses ?

There's a serious limit to the number of cavalry units available in the game, meaning that you don't really need to worry too much about them in general.

Rough Riders (the new guard unit) has got some issues:

1) All you get is 5 models per squad, with a max Ld of 8.

2) Armor save is 5+

3) They are relatively expensive compared to other non-vehicle units, especially when upgraded for anti-tank duty.

4) Every 5 guys takes up a fast attack slot... the same slot as: 1-3 Valkyries, 1-3 Vendettas, 1-3 Scout Sentinels, 1-3 Heavy Sentinels, or 1-3 Hellhound type tanks.

yeah i know they have som issues - but seeing as i play both BT and Tau - i find it a problem

As tau with 2 cavalry units, he is able to uphold my sucky CC firewarriors for at least 2 turns, which is more then enough time to get whatever else he is bringing - valkyries - vendettas - Tanks - Even guardsmen - within effective range - thus killing off one of my biggest assets...

As black templars - i see em as a huge threat compared to my expensive units - lets say i have a 5man jump pack squad - which just lands short of assaulting though in cover of a building... the his damn cavalry can move 30" and engage em, holding em up for long enough to get whatever was there outa the way...

Im not saying they are good, or cheap, im saying they are pretty powerful at upholding something, or taking out light vehicles or that sorta thing...

Im not saying they are good, or cheap, im saying they are pretty powerful at upholding something, or taking out light vehicles or that sorta thing...

And seeing as how the guard have just about nothing else in their arsenal that can perform melee delaying tatctics, they're a necessary addition to the army list.

I'd personally be elated that my opponent was spending two force org slots on rough riders instead of another hellhound or valkyrie squadron.

Tau's biggest issue right now is not cavalry, but rather the fact that their codex does not reflect the realities of 5th ed very well at all, and they've got no real defense against the toys that guard has (as the first codex to truly take advantage of 5th ed rules).

Not knowing the specific armies and battlefields you've been fighting in, I can't provide specific advice for your Templars, but there are plenty of ways to annoy cavalry as they try and close. It's up to you to figure out what works for your situation and account for it. A 5 man assault squad isn't a good unit to expect to survive the whole game anyway (its expendable)... you may want to reconsider it or how you're using it.

Well True

Tau arent the best at the new IG id say, might aswell be the fact that we play on what i consider Damn small Tables, which in turn makes those Cavalry even more deadly, As tau i have found that i am ALWAYS out gunned and out numbered, and so far my only way of defence has been my speed, but with this new IG codex, all tactics just amount to nothing, cause now the IG can out speed me and out shoot me, and out tank me...

As for the templars, it was just an example of an AT assault marine squad, loosing them After they have tossed their melta bombs is fine with me not before cause of some stupid guys on lame horses.

Dont know the exact rules of the IG cavalry, but generally i find the rules quite insane, compared to something like a jetbike or standard bike... I cant really find any reason fluff wise why a horse can outrun a Jetbike...

I cant really find any reason fluff wise why a horse can outrun a Jetbike...
Which is why that can't. "Beasts and cavalry move as Infantry." I don't see Infantry moving 12" anywhere in the book...so it's only 6" move, D6" fleet, 12" charge.

I'm going to have to double check, but I'm pretty sure beasts/cavalry move 6", get a fleet move of d6", and then have a charge of 12". They don't have a 12" move base. Anyone with immediate access to a rulebook have an answer?

I mean as far as i can gather from the Rulebook, a fast attack skimmer like the Tau Piranha is able to max thrust 18 inches - and not being able to shoot, or 12 inches and shoot.

Another small mistake, the Tau skimmer is a Fast vehicle and so can move Flat Out 24" and then gains a 4+ cover save.

Archived