Melee Weapons

power swords (any power weop) ignor armor saves. All the rest you listed are just hth weops, do nothing special. I don't remember choppa's doing anything special, but it has been awhile sence I played against orks, but I don't think they do..

In the glory days of 3rd edition we had something called "Heavy Weapons" that originated from either Choppas or Chain-Axes of Khorne. Its a rule long gone but it used to affect armor saves better then 4+, to be counted as 4+. (2+ became 4+, it was nasty).

Since then they've abandoned armor modifiers and just kept armor ignoring weapons instead, where invulnerable saves take over. Very few weapons ignore invulnerable saves, like the Callidus Assassins melee weapon.

In the glory days of 3rd edition we had something called "Heavy Weapons" that originated from either Choppas or Chain-Axes of Khorne. Its a rule long gone but it used to affect armor saves better then 4+, to be counted as 4+. (2+ became 4+, it was nasty).

I remember those times, Orks were a pain on my marines...Nasty indeed... B)

Well now orks come at 1/3rd less points, smoother mob rules (lacking mob-up, thank god - and I play orks) with the crazy addition of new units that make them rough. They lack the old melta rule on the burna they used to have. At least they made that transition well, going into an open topped vehicle and spitting 12 flamers out and collecting the wounds instead of resolving each flamer one at a time.

A different role, I always wondered why they had a flamer weapon thats roughly 1/4th the heat of a meltagun have the same rule, with a 8" flamer template.... Hehe.

They're Orks, what can I say.

As long as they believe in something it will work.

They are even more random than the warp. xD

I'll vouch for that as an ex-Ork player... gotta love them for a while but there is something about having to paint 2.5 Orks for every 1 of your mates CSMs/SMs that just ends up feeling like having a child swing from your chest hair. You wanna scream but you also know that you only have yourself to blame for getting yourself in that position in the first place.

My only resolution was to get rid of the random, remove myself from the annoyance and shave my chest. :)

Then I turned to Chaos where you still get some randomness (not so much as 2nd ed but still) but it's much easier way to paint in numbers at least.

On to the original topic... I don't miss the days where you have to count up 1pt for this weapon, 2pts for this weapon and each has a different profile which just dragged out 2k battles to the point where you lost the will to live. However, I still think that stuff like Chain Axes and such should have specific rule, given how we were all brought up on how they were the most dangerous of Angron's inventions. They have always just got thrown in as Chainswords (2nd ed) or Power Weapons (3rd ed). Both of which sucked.

I can't find anything on Heavy Weapons on the assault front in my olde worlde book though.

Chain Axes and Choppa rules got added into the furious charge thing. Streamline stuff I assume. We still get str9 powerfists as a result (for the land raiders). Having 4 power-"lascannon"-fist slapping a land raider feels very assuring.

I still think that stuff like Chain Axes and such should have specific rule, given how we were all brought up on how they were the most dangerous of Angron's inventions. They have always just got thrown in as Chainswords (2nd ed) or Power Weapons (3rd ed). Both of which sucked.

CCW with rending, requires two hands (or at least gets no bonus attack from another CCW). Any berserker can have one at no cost (replaces CCW) but looses furious charge.

Hows that? Its maybe better vs MEQs (identical when charging, better when not charging, might not work as well as expected due to wound allocation), always better vs terminators, worse vs GEQs and orcs, about the same vs vehicles.

Hows that? Its maybe better vs MEQs (identical when charging, better when not charging, might not work as well as expected due to wound allocation), always better vs terminators, worse vs GEQs and orcs, about the same vs vehicles.

it means that for no extra points they have the same number of attacks as csm , still have shoting weapons and extra WS and get free rending [ah they also dont lose shoting ]. Even if its nerfed and they are rather slow without LR , it still seems to be a bit over the top for the pts they cost.

Since this topic is well and truly over for the rules question it is now closed.

As a general warning - I WILL hand out warnings and remove posts that are off topic and not rules related - such as house rules or tactics etc.

Keep it on topic people.

Archived