Demon Foot Soldier

the face is pretty flat dude. It needs some more work to really pop.

Yep, he is getting a tail.

Face is not flat I just can't get a photo good enough. What do you expect for a skull like face? :huh: There is not much to a skull. I still have a little work to do on him but mostly in the jaw line area and might add a spine or 2 coming out of cheekbones.

I think I wasn't that clear in my explination, but before I try again, I just want to point out that I am not trying to :lol: on your work. You are doing really good stuff and there is no better way to improve than to make more sculpts. You show off a lot of very cool ideas, but I think you could push them a lot further if you polished some basics. I noticed this same flatness in some of your other sculpts.

hivetrygon, it's fine. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like what artists make, don't take it personally. ^_^

This sort of misses the point. I am not trying to attack or put down your work, again. I just want to try to point out how to make it better, maybe not this sculpt, but the next or who knows...

Anyway, the face isn't so much flat, as in lack detail, but the angles are off and the proportion of the cranium to facial region is way skewed. A human skull has way more mass up top than in the jaw region. They also have equal depth and height. Some of the rations seem wonky, but check out any books on anatomy. Also Hogarth's stuff on perspective is good fun.

In any case, I think getting the human proportions down can help you modify them to come up with something a bit more expressive and "lifelike", or at least understanding of human proportions.

Awww, you covered up some of the lovely back detail. I liked the organo-armor look there.

Personally I like both horn sets. Its not like horns on a biped need to be "realistically" sized, and even real animals can have some ridiculous horns as they age. However, I would be looking for a different head- I'm not a fan of the skully face.

Ok, reworked the sculpt more. Chain now looks perfect. I can't believe I even did it. It's probably my favorite part.

I also now know what to do to fix the face, that's up next. I'll move the lower jaw forward and blend the horn texture into the tmple and lowly into the brow. Tank head look! :D

http://trollsforge.com/workbench2/demft12.jpg

Looks fantastic to me still man. I realize the folks are trying to help, but it seems like they're making you second guess yourself. Worst mistake you can make as an artist is deviating from your vision based on the rather personal tastes of strangers.

Sure...maybe pulling out the muzzle of the daemon's face might make it look more menacing, but its not like its terrible as is.

I have been following this topic on three or four boards, so I am not sure where it was posted, but the photoshop of the head was spot on. It's still wonky.

Whoever did that edit captured in picture form what I fumbled to articulate with words. Either way, the sculpt is really pretty good, but the face is what draws the eye first, so it needs to be the best, not just "meh".

I think it was on the B&C that someone said that you shouldn't compramise your sculpt because of others comments. That's bull:cuss. If you want to ever improve you will kill all your darlings. I think that's the single most important thing I ever learned about art. Never hold something so dear that you won't scrap it.

With that said, cut the head off and start again. It's hard to modify really small scale stuff, and you owe it to yourself to get the head looking better.

On a semi-related note: sculpt a pair of DP/greater daemon wings and sell them, I need at least one set and I can't do them justice. I think you had a pair sculpted up for your other daemon. Also I am sure other people need a pair of demonic wings. Ultraforge's are probably too large and GWs are just meh sculpts for 8-10$. And then I might buy some other stuff if you had the wings as a bits kit :D

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to cutting him, been busy with an alien wyrm sculpt, and adjusted the face. This is now going into the molds. Anyway, next 5, hell may be even 10 demons will be better and this one has enough done and people like it, so I'll improve and make more new ones. :cuss

http://trollsforge.com/workbench2/dmfthd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived