Is a Command Sqaud a Retinue?

Vedrial

In the 5th ed C:SM, command squads are NOT a retinue. They are an independent squad that your captain may join, and are treated in all respects as a regular squad.

In the 5th ed C:SM, command squads are NOT a retinue. They are an independent squad that your captain may join, and are treated in all respects as a regular squad.

This

• 1 month later...

I know this has been beat to death, but there's something I haven't seen anyone address...

What codexes, if any, actually have a Retinue? Please state exactly what allows this unit to be a Retinue.

tyranid hive tyrant's tyrant guard -stated as a retinue in C:Tyranids

Tau Etherial FW Honor Guard - might be questionable - certainly the Etherial "is an [iC]" when not accompanied by the HG. the alternatives are either that he is no longer an IC if the HG is taken, or that they are a retinue.

Black Templars commanders and Chaplains, with command squads - based on the Black Templars Characters rules in B:BT, they do not follow the retinue rules in CC due to the wording of the codex.

possibly others. the list is small and shrinking.

This

That

I have to ask, since ive been seeing this quite alot recently

But what is the point in both of these replies, surely this is just trolling to increase post counts, if i was a mod here, id shoot people for doing this

But then im not a mod and the reason above is probably why :),

Seriously though i would like the resident mods to answer thisw question, as it really bugs me.

Anyway back on point, this subject has been done to death alot of times, unless iot specifically states they are retinues then you cant assume anything else. This is often the best way to approach many rules queries..

someone once told me to assume is to make an ASS of U and ME!

Gc08

If Telion or that assasin that can choose their target pops the HQ IC of a retinue (like the 'Nid one mentioned), I presume their retinue carries on fighting without him/it. Is the IC worth 1 kill point, and the newly separated retinue good for another kill point? Or do they just burst into tears and give up? (Tricky for a Hive tyrant retinue-no eyes).

Ryjak Posted Today, 03:22 AM

I know this has been beat to death, but there's something I haven't seen anyone address...

What codexes, if any, actually have a Retinue? Please state exactly what allows this unit to be a Retinue.

A Grey Knight Hero can take a retinue of GK Terminators. Expensive, but harsh. The required rule is the Retinue rule, which means the character ceases to be an Independent Character while with the retinue, and cannot leave the retinue until it is destroyed (he'd then return to being an Independent Character).

An SM Command Squad does not have the Retinue rule, meaning the character it was bought for can join and leave it at will, but always counts as an Independent Character, and as such can be singled out in close combat.

usually the retinue will continue fighting, assuming they pass morale checks and whatnot. there may be examples to the contrary, and I am not sure how the tyrant vs. Assassin bit would work - tyranid rules make my head spin - but generally they are 1 or 2 FOC slots and function just like any other unit, with the noted exceptions for the IC.

GC08 - those posts are months old. my advice is to ignore posts you don't like unless they are offensive or flaming / flame baiting / trolling then, if you like, you can use the "Report" button on the bottom left of the post to let us know about it. :P

This

That

I have to ask, since ive been seeing this quite alot recently

But what is the point in both of these replies, surely this is just trolling to increase post counts, if i was a mod here, id shoot people for doing this

But then im not a mod and the reason above is probably why :P,

Seriously though i would like the resident mods to answer thisw question, as it really bugs me.

Anyway back on point, this subject has been done to death alot of times, unless iot specifically states they are retinues then you cant assume anything else. This is often the best way to approach many rules queries..

someone once told me to assume is to make an ASS of U and ME!

Gc08

In cases like this its to show support for their side of the argument without saying the exact same line over and over. *shrugs*.

But yeah, SWs, DE, Nidz, Daemhunters *IIRC*....

One interesting retinue is commander Farsight and his super bodyguard of death in the Tau codex. Hes a 4 base attack monstrous creature in CC, along with a body guard of 8 battle suits that can each have up to 2 drones. ITs mad chunky point cost, but its a heck of a fun unit to play.

++ removed a few stats not really relevent to the ongoing discussion on what retinues are still being fielded in 40K++

One interesting retinue is commander Farsight and his super bodyguard of death in the Tau codex. Hes a 4 base attack monstrous creature in CC, along with a body guard of 8 battle suits that can each have up to 2 drones. ITs mad chunky point cost, but its a heck of a fun unit to play.

Don't post stat-lines buddy, Nighthawks or Isiah are going to edit that out pretty soon since it's against forum rules.

As for Vindicare/Telion sniping Hive Tyrants, there is a rule in the Hive Tyrant Guard that says the Tyrant can never be picked out while with the Guard. Stupid Shieldwall rule... :D

Don't post stat-lines buddy, Nighthawks or Isiah are going to edit that out pretty soon since it's against forum rules.

Some stats for "discussion" purposes are OK in moderation and of course without points. However in this case we aren't really here to discuss Tau armies per se so yes they have gone :).

On retinues – the Broodlord has a retinue of stealers as far as I can remember, but yeah, getting pretty rare in 40K. In fact I seem to remember (Legatus?) posting a list of still used retinues some time back.

Cheers

I

I'm packing up for a game right now, and noticed I didn't have the SM FAQ in my rulebook. Before I stuck it in, I read the errata section, when this caught my eye:

Page 104, Mighty heroes, second paragraph. The

third sentence should be changed as follows:

Each also has the option for an extra HQ unit

[…]

Since I couldn't figure out what it was talking about, I opened up the rulebook and found the original 3rd sentance:

Each also has the option for a retinue unit - a Command Squad or Honour Guard respectively - to further increase the raw combat might of your army.

So basically, GW actually came out said a Command Squad or Honour Guard squad is NOT a retinue, since they replaced "retinue" with "extra HQ".

Archived