Salamander w/ twin plasma pistols

jah-joshua

hey B&C...

i was asked by an independent retailer to paint up a test marine for an army commission...

he asked for extreme edge highlighting, and freehand...

i had this guy with the twin plasma pistols sitting around, since he's not game legal, he took a back seat to stuff i could sell for gaming use...

it's a cool conversion though, so i'm glad i finally got a chance to paint him up...

this is my basic tabletop standard, and the whole army will be painted to the same quality...

please to enjoy...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/sallietest20.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/sallietest21.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/sallietest22.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/jah-minis/wips/sallietest23.jpg

a step-by-step can be found here:

http://coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=32746

thanks for looking...

cheers

jah

looks great but there needs to be a bigger contast between the face, the backpack, the shoulderpads and the tabbard

at first glance they look unpainted, actually not un-painted but they just merge together

the greens are absolutely brilliant though

great tut too cheers

thanks for the responses guys...

@blood god: yes, the store owner likes the result, and it looks like i got the job...now i just have to wait for a boatload of marines to arrive...

@brother duncs: the base colour for the armour is the very old salamanders green from the original space marine paint set, circa 1990ish...

@wolf priest hael: i believe the option is for a pistol and ccw, not two pistols...wysiwyg fail, but i don't play, and this is just a test mini...

@wiplash: i see what you're saying, but one has to balance time spent vs. pay recieved...a simple, effective, paint scheme is best across a whole army...i would have done a lot more to this guy if he was mine...

cheers

jah

@wolf priest hael: i believe the option is for a pistol and ccw, not two pistols...wysiwyg fail, but i don't play, and this is just a test mini...
He is armed with a Plasma Pistol and CCW since that is all a duplicate pistol would be without a special rule that allows firing 2 guns or twin-linking.

hey, if the customer can include this guy in the rest of the army, so much the better...

i don't play any mini games, i'm more of a tiger woods golf kinda guy;)...

i own all the books, but i didn't bring the marine codex to mexico with me, doh!!!

since people seem to like the base, i guess i should mention that it is from wyrd minis...

they do some cool metal sewer bases, and some nice graveyard bases...

@burias: i will definitely do a painting log here when i start the army...

i sent off this guy yesterday, and the customer is gathering his supplies...

now i just have to wait a month for the first marines to show up, and hope that he doesn't balk at the huge dent my rates are gonna put in his wallet...

too much time to think is not good;)...

cheers

jah

this is my basic tabletop standard, and the whole army will be painted to the same quality...

Jah, if this is only your "basic table top standard", I shudder to think what your golden daemon standard is like. The paintjob is beautifully done.

That's the first time I've seen the "new black" skin done convincingly. I still hate the fact GW them from black to pure black (with red eyes no less). Still this one looks great, I'd be happy with an army to that standard.

@malika:

the face is layered with P3 paints:

1. thamar black

2. coal black

3. greatcoat grey

4. armor wash

5. trollblood highlight

@kikunosuke: it's been a few years since i won my demon (2005 l.a.), and that was with a mini painted in '03...

hopefully they will bring l.a. back next year, so i can show up with my display standard...

unfortunately, i'm too busy payin' the rent with commissions to paint for myself:(...

@lamenter: personally i like to paint sallie skin to look more hawaiian...

the customer always gets what they want, so this guy is jet black, with demonic red eyes(fitting for chaos, but a little silly on a good guy)...

unfortunately, i'm using a ghetto light set-up, so i couldn't get a pic without the glare off his forehead:(...

thanks for the feedback...

cheers

jah

@kikunosuke: it's been a few years since i won my demon (2005 l.a.), and that was with a mini painted in '03...

hopefully they will bring l.a. back next year, so i can show up with my display standard...

unfortunately, i'm too busy payin' the rent with commissions to paint for myself:(...

Mmf, I know that sucky feeling with rent & stuff...

Any chance you could grace this thread with a pic of your Golden Daemon entry, jah?

Archived