Termicide

Hi everyone,

I've been reading a bit about the Termicide strategy and I have to say I like the idea a lot, as much from a fluff perspective ( I play mostly Alpha Legion and this sounds like something they would do, plus the concept is just cool) or a strategic angle. The way I see it, a three man squad of combi-melta termies deepstrikes, then tries to blow stuff up. Have I got the basics down?

I was wondering if you guys could give me some battle scenarios where it worked for you or not, and why?

And go ahead on your biased/un-biased opinions as well!

Thanks in advance!

There's really not much to say, no strategy to it, they DS in near a tank or LR and fire 3 combimeltas at it, if the dice don't totally hate you the tank blows up. If they can DS in on a side of the tank where the opponent can't shoot them next turn that's even better, but that's pretty obvious IMO. More often then not they will die next turn.

Yes, it's effective. "Pretty much" assures you kill the tank, then of course your opponent has to deal with them, which takes some of his resources away from your other stuff. I usually take a termicide squad at 1500+, I find it hard to fit them in at anything smaller then that.

The only concern is the odd turn where you roll like garbage (recently had 2 meltas and a combi-melta by a BS 5 character all miss).

In addition to the combi-meltas, I like combi-plasmas or flamers with heavy flamer to deal with some infantry problems (like the Eldar snipers with 2+ cover)

I prefer a powerfist, 1 heavy flamer and 2 combi meltas. 115 pts total, and the versitility has given me good bringback.

Killing 10+ Repentia was one. Killing a basilisk by hitting side armor (used HF first and it did the job lol).

Slaughtered some leman russes, melting one and slamming the other with the fist.

Some people may prefer more models. I like squads of 10, in a fast army where I pressure him from everywhere and may have an icon to rely on for deep strike.

Can also run two units, both with glory because odds may not favor you, and you could use the icon to bolster the first termy squad if both dont arrive on the same turn.

You can also try small chosen squads outflanking, if deep strike really isnt a good idea. (lots of terrain/the target is in a bad spot where scatter wil give you a mishap and small chosen can fit there easier)

Most termicide is 105 points. For 120 you could have 3 meltaguns inside a 5 man chosen unit, that can fire their guns again, assault with krak grenades (like in the case of IG tank squadrons, thats very bad for them). So you can have a duo of chosen and termicide, which will cover more bases then having two termicide units.

Happy hunting.

So you can have a duo of chosen and termicide, which will cover more bases then having two termicide units.

Happy hunting.

only chosen will never get in to hth [specially a 5 man squad that is alone] in to hth with anything , they cant use kraks on first turn even , if they were deployed out of sight [whats not always possible to do] . paying 15 pts more means a unit is runing without a rhino or you take one less oblits [the pts are made that way in chaos dex] or an asp champion doesnt have a fist or you cant take him at all. also runing 1 termicid means you lower to chance of seeing it on turn 1 [with two or three units your chance is much bigger to see one turn 2] . it also means that if one squad scatters badlly , then there is still chance that the other one will land like it should .

if you go 2 chosen units and 1 termicid , this means your paying 140 pts more then what a 2x3 set up costs . thats two oblits less . oblits with longer range , better lash synergy , better meta against eldar/tau[if you play against those and have chosen they will just fly away out of range] .

ouflanking aint so great too on units having a treat range of 18" per turn . specially as you dont know on which side they will come , what if some plays refused flank and they end up 20" from any opponent unit?

I use a 3 man Termie squad, but not in this 'termicide' configuration. I find it still allows me to support my other units (homing in on an icon) and provides a welcome distraction for my opponent to ponder.

only chosen will never get in to hth [specially a 5 man squad that is alone] in to hth with anything , they cant use kraks on first turn even , if they were deployed out of sight [whats not always possible to do]

You should always use a Rhino with Chosen; deploy the Rhino normally, then when you infiltrate the Chosen, if they can't deploy in a good position, just infiltrate them next to the Rhino, and then embark prior to the first turn move. Admittedly, no turn 1 assault, but there is the extra protection/manoverability of the Rhino.

You should always use a Rhino with Chosen; deploy the Rhino normally, then when you infiltrate the Chosen, if they can't deploy in a good position, just infiltrate them next to the Rhino, and then embark prior to the first turn move. Admittedly, no turn 1 assault, but there is the extra protection/manoverability of the Rhino.

first of all me eyez . why take a chosen unit at all then , when for a bit more pts you can have the same rhino and a scoring unit of pms or csm , specially as your already taking 2/3 units of those so it frees up pts to buy oblits etc?

first of all me eyez

Serious internet use turns all men blind, eventually :tu:

You can have more versatility in the unit; infiltrate, outflank, a greater number of special/close combat weapons. A unit of Chosen should easily outperform Oblits in combat, especially with a couple of power wepons and fists, and a generous icon. If you think you want to concentrate in that area, they're a reasonable choice.

OK, so Havocs can have all the specials, and yes, CSMs/PMs are scoring, so they're both viable choices, and I know neither are short of CC ability themselves. I'm not saying Chosen are 'the best, the greatest, the must have unit', only that choosing a Rhino adds to their abilities. They don't even have to use it themselves. You can decide how to use them after the mission and deployment have been rolled.

When people talk of the metagame, surely something different to 'the norm' is a good thing?

In addition, I'm biased towards Chosen because I play Alpha Legion.

just make sure that destroying the tank is actually worth wasting 3 termies plus the extra points.

There are a lot of tanks I would happily sacrifice three terminators to kill.

Yes, me too! :rolleyes:

But the distraction factor has to be pretty good too? If the tank (or target) isn't all alone, who would want to leave a enemy unit behing their lines unattended? They could tie up a unit in HTH for a turn, or even hurt it a bit: they do have power weapons...

I only recently started dabbling in Chaos, so my experience is limited.

Termicide delivers a certain vehicle kill, which is nice, and then they can charge something and cause some more headaches, or die gloriously while everything turns and shoots them to pieces instead of shooting the rest of your army.

There's of course the problem of deep-strike dice hating you on certain games, when you repeatedly roll 1s and 2s, and cry... cry... cry.

What I don't understand is how termicide can be considered a "certain" vehicle kill. The odds for scatter are pretty high, no? You only have a 1/3 chance to get a direct hit on scatter dice and if you scatter you have an average of 7" scatter range. For me this looks like a darn big probability that my termies will scatter outside effective melta range. Is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing in the deep strike rules? :huh:

What I don't understand is how termicide can be considered a "certain" vehicle kill. The odds for scatter are pretty high, no? You only have a 1/3 chance to get a direct hit on scatter dice and if you scatter you have an average of 7" scatter range. For me this looks like a darn big probability that my termies will scatter outside effective melta range. Is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing in the deep strike rules? :huh:

This is something I was wondering myself, and I was hoping that I could get a few examples of in-game efficiency from some experienced players.

I tend to roll very poorly... so even a sure shot is a coin toss for me :D

Icons only work is you DS within 6". Besides, I find it hard to reach enemy lines with my icons fast enough to guide a turn 2 deepstrike. If enemy advances towards me with transport its different though.

What I don't understand is how termicide can be considered a "certain" vehicle kill. The odds for scatter are pretty high, no? You only have a 1/3 chance to get a direct hit on scatter dice and if you scatter you have an average of 7" scatter range. For me this looks like a darn big probability that my termies will scatter outside effective melta range. Is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing in the deep strike rules? :)

This is something I was wondering myself, and I was hoping that I could get a few examples of in-game efficiency from some experienced players.

I tend to roll very poorly... so even a sure shot is a coin toss for me :(

I always aim them near a 'corner' of a tank. Even if the average scatter is 7 Inch, a lot of directions on the scatter dice mean you will still be within 6 inch, the more because you can put the other two guys more near to the tank. So thats another 2(?) inch from a terminator base. Bit hard to explain. You could just similate it, just pick a Terminator and set him besides your rhino, you will see that a lot of directions mean you will still be near the tank. I did some little math aproaches and I think about 70% of the times you will be within 6 inch at least with 2 guys out of the 3. Unit gets rarely destroyed. But this was without taking other vehicles/terrain etc in consideration.

I say just try them out, its way more reliable then people may think. Especially if you take 2 Termicide units instead of 1. Dont forget its not only effective against Land raiders, it works against all kinda targets. If you aim at vehicles with a (side)armour value of 11 for example, you can also choose to be more carefully because even if you are not within 6 inch you still have pretty good odds. (more than 50% of destroying it if he doesnt count as obscured).

Against land raiders the reward is so big (you destroy a 240+ unit & the cargo is now footslogging) that you should take a little more risk.

Zhuk is right, it is almost impossible for them to scatter badly. They WILL kill a tank and tie up another unit or two for a couple turns.... any unit that is guaranteed to earn their points back and in lucky situations will kill double their points are excellent. Termicide does this by killing a land raider or killing a tank then getting into hand to hand with basically any infantry squad NOT a horde and NOT a power weapon/fist. They wreak havoc with your enemy's lines and make up for chaos' biggest weakness: lack of long range anti-tank weapons

I dont think chaos' biggest weakness is lack of long range anti-tank weapons. Oblits fullfil that role well enough. I more thinking of Termicide filling up the lack of fast and good (so no I'm not counting Raptors and Bikes) anti tank units like MM attack bikes actually. Or drop podded melta goodness, or Fire dragons.

I dont think chaos' biggest weakness is lack of long range anti-tank weapons. Oblits fullfil that role well enough. I more thinking of Termicide filling up the lack of fast and good (so no I'm not counting Raptors and Bikes) anti tank units like MM attack bikes actually. Or drop podded melta goodness, or Fire dragons.

100% agree, our fast attack choices are :)

• 7 months later...
Well I know this is Threadromancy of the worst kind, but given how many termicide topics there are, I didnt want to start another! So here's the deal, I'm considering going back to using a single termicide unit in my list, having dropped them before due to their unreliable nature. Do people still rate them quite highly? And dont you find them to be a massive liability in killpoint missions?

Archived