Termicide

there is no rules of puting models on smaller bases . bigger are free game just dont go over the top with 5" bases .
Actually, you can only put models on the bases they are supplied with. Anything else needs opponent's consent.

I've used termicide a couple times, but only to fill points. They are pretty much useless in my gaming area. However, one spectacular usage involved landing near a basilisk battery (of 3) in a 1750 game. Two missed, but the third got a kill. They were then assaulted by Ogryns; took a couple turns, losing two of them, but the dude with the chainfist (I recommend one in such a squad) held on, eventually routing them and they fled off the board. 1 KP, 170 VP. My turn came up and he walked over to the basilisk battery and carved them both up quite nicely. 2 KP, 545 VP. Then he held in a forest long enough to survive, for then he charged up to an objective being held by a command squad and 35-odd guardsmen. After causing enough wounds to make them flee too (3 KP, ~715 VP), he contested the objective. The command squad then charged, died, and fled (4 KP, ~745 VP), leaving him alone on the objective. Game ends.

This was the one and only time termicide ever worked for me. Every other time it either misses, doesn't penetrate, scatters, or dies. It is far from an assured thing to kill a single tank, and in KP missions it's an easy kill. I've never seen it, used by anyone, perform well. It barely even has worth as an ace in the hole.

I've pretty much stopped using Termicide unless I need stuff to fill out my list to larger than normal games. Too much poor luck on scatters or just rolling bad with the combi-meltas or games where the terminators don't show up until its too late anyway.

I was curious, in a 1850 pt. list, would it be better to have 3 squads of 3 Oblits, or three squads of 2 oblits and 2 termicicde units?

My thinking is that Oblits can be more useful deepstriking because they have a multi-melta in addition to a regular melta, so if they land too far to use the first option, they can use their MM. But the second option of both oblits and termies gets more models on the board. What do you think?

I deepstrike terminators(4) and obliterators(squads of 2). And I rarely DS either outside of icon range. If I do I DS outside an icon's range the oblit goes because if he lands outside of the 6" sweetspot he still has a multimelta and if outside the 12" sweetspot a lascannon. I don't always DS the oblits, but I do always DS the terminators. 90% of the time the terminators are used to drop closest to my troops in the most intense fighting. Their added firepower(3 meltas+heavy flamer) can soften an enemy up, and their mere presence in the thickest fighting always helps.

I was curious, in a 1850 pt. list, would it be better to have 3 squads of 3 Oblits, or three squads of 2 oblits and 2 termicicde units?

I would actually say 2 units of 2 oblits + termicide, or three units of 2 oblits. For me oblits and terminators are the icing on the cake, and the cake should be chaos marines. No one wants a cake where there is more icing than cake. I would take more marines before that many oblits or terminators.

..... and a demon prince is the cherry on top.

I use Termie DS'ing and Termicide both a lot.

My motivation being mostly my love of Termies and a fluffy edge. In my eyes DS'ing suits the Warmaster's tactic of 'taking out the head'.

And I have a large collection of Termies so...

Performance wise it varies. Frankly it is at it's best if done with 2-3 units in my opinion. But DS has a very random edge anyway.

Icons and a good use in unison with CSM Troops can make it more reliable but then you're not truly Termiciding.

If I know I'm going to be playing Guard, I'll use termicide, if Orks I'd rather use some lesser daemons. I have better results in general with mass troops (PMs, KBs and CSM) and obliterators however.

I always run a Termi squad in all my Chaos builds. Mainly because I love the models... But also because they are a wonderful distraction that will kill something good.

I usually take a bigger, more resilient squad, 4 Termies, 3 combi weapons, a Chainfist, and a Heavy Flamer. 3 unique types for wound allocation helps keep them alive another turn. If the points allow, A 5th model, equipped with combi and Powerfist, keeps the unit powerful even as wounds are taken.

That said, I have not used the 3-man termicide unit, but will try it out in my next few games.

I've been a fan of the "Super Termicide" squad, which is basically 4 Terminators, 3 Combi-Melta and a Heavy Flamer.

The big difference here is that you can target both armor or high value infantry squads in cover so you have more flexibility in where you land.

Isn't it almost a prerequisite to have icons on your troops ( and hope they arrive on turn 3+ ) if you plan to use the (heavy/combi-) flamer of a termicide ?

Or perhaps you 'll gamble the 33% hit 1"away from enemy infantry ?

What do you think about larger deep striking squads ? Perhaps only one per list ( it will not be effective to have that many points off the game ) , but properly tooled up ( the occasional power-/chain-fist , extra bodies ) to ensure some elements of it will survive to charge a juicy target next round ?

Or is it the general consensus that the termicide is the most efficient way to field terminators in the C:CSM ?

( I can't say that I complain about them , they've done their job time and time again )

What do you think about larger deep striking squads ? Perhaps only one per list ( it will not be effective to have that many points off the game ) , but properly tooled up ( the occasional power-/chain-fist , extra bodies ) to ensure some elements of it will survive to charge a juicy target next round ?

This is something I've gone back and forth on alot Atheist.

My gut instinct is that a 5 man squad makes for a good buy (mostly because thats what comes in a box)

With a solid loadout (4 Combi's, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist) its still 10% cheaper then a 5 man Loyalist squad with a Heavy Flamer and you have all those nice Combi's!

Termicide is good because its so cheap. You can almost always trade 105 points of Terminators for 150+ points of tank. Even if what you destroy isn't really expensive, stopping it from firing or moving is usually important enough.

What stops me from taking these squads is wondering if I would be better off just taking a CSM unit instead. Sure its more expensive but its also more durable (usually) and its scoring. Both units will have a mix of Flamers/Melta/Fists and both will have LD10 with a reroll usually.

Termicide does something that you can't/shouldn't do with CSMs and thats effectively kill armor for cheap. The cheapest CSM squad you could do to do a similar job would be 5 guys, Meltagun, Rhino w/ C-Melta and thats 130 points for 2 easy kill points.

I have been using termicide for quite while now on almost all of my chaos lists. I find that they typically do very well as the cheapest version being 3 with combi-meltas. They always seem to inflict decent damage and more often than not when they don't show up on time, I can win without having to rely on that 105 points.

Very rarely I have had them come in on turn 5 or not come in at all in a game and as long as they are my only reserve unit, I believe it is worth the risk. I typically run at least two icons, usually on mobile units to ensure they come down where I need them too.

Yesterday I played in a tournament where the last game became a slaughterfest vs a very tough ork force. In my current list I splurged and am using the 4 term w/3combi mletas and a heavy flamer with a chainfist. In turn four my opponent maneuvered his bike nobs (a troops choice in his list) to kill off my last troops unit. My terms fianlly came down and were integral in destroying a unit of ork boyz and the nest turn moved to assault the nobs. Unfortunately I had used the termi's meltas on the last unit as there was a possibility that he was going to assault my termis with his nob bikers. A haling barrage of meltagun fire from two of my oblits, and from my last two raptors cut down three of the nobs. The Terms rushed in and the chainfist was the reasons I ended up pulling a draw on a very tough game. 3 hits, 3 instant death kills, nobs wiped out. Believe it or not, but I credit that chainfist as the reason I came in 2nd in battle points and won some store credit.

Earlier in that tournament 3 x combi meltas, a turn 2 reserves roll, and an icon lead to a dead land raider before it fired a shot; although in fairness it did unload it's payload of terminators into a 1ksons squad that held long enough for a DP to counter assault and kill them. My termis died when I made a poor choice and tried to assault Abbadon.... won't do that again!

In the first game, my terms came out too early and had to hoof it a turn or two just to be able to shoot and assault a land raider that they just couldn't kill.

IMO as long as you don't over do it with deep striking squads, potentially leaving a large portion of your army off board for a long time, one squad of terminators 3 or 4 strong with combi meltas (maybe a heavy flamer and chainfist) it well worth it. They are extraordinarily effective given their points. I think at least a single icon is mandatory and you have to make it be where ther terminators are going to be useful coming in, I tpically use two icons for this just so I have redundancy or options about where to bring them in. In the rare cases where they don't show up on time I don't feel that ~100+ points is going to affect my chances for victory too badly.

Oh btw, in my experience termicide is a misnomer, my termies usually stick around and get to contribute a bit more after coming down. Just because they are expendable doesn't mean they always get wiped out after porting in.

I have been using termicide for quite while now on almost all of my chaos lists. I find that they typically do very well as the cheapest version being 3 with combi-meltas. They always seem to inflict decent damage and more often than not when they don't show up on time, I can win without having to rely on that 105 points.

Do you run alot of anti-tank firepower in the rest of your list or do you rely on that 3x Melta shots to take out the big tanks?

Do you run alot of anti-tank firepower in the rest of your list or do you rely on that 3x Melta shots to take out the big tanks?

I run a lot of other anti-tank firepower.

I usually run 2x2 oblits, and 1 to 2 other squads with meltaguns.

Counting on termicide to be consitently reliable anti-tank isn't a good way to play it, but to me; it's worth the risks of them not showing up because when it does work (way more often than not, for me) you usually get your moneys worth out of them.

Archived