Sicarius and a first turn charge

DevianID

Has anyone used a tac squad with scout from battle forged heroes to get a first turn assault?

A dedicated rhino transport gets scout, so can advance 12 inches and turn with an access point facing the enemy with the scout move.

The 10 man tac squad, on turn 1, then gets out 2.5 inches, moves 6, and assaults 6, for a first turn assault in most deployments!

Other uses of battle forged heroes are abound, but this seems to be one of the most devestating if the enemy is unprepared for first turn CC--imagine the tac squad charging 2-3 las cannon teams on turn 1!

So is this a good new tactic, or does this idea have little merit?

You can't assault in the same turn you get out of your Rhino.

You can, if the rhino haven't moved before that.

Sadly, there's no way he can be in range to assault, unless the rhino moves. :blush:

I think he is saying the Rhino gets to move 12 during the scout move, right before Turn 1 starts.

Then on his turn, the squad disembarks immediately, still gets its move, then it's assault move.

I believe that is legal right? As long as the vehicle hasn't moved the unit can get out and act normally?

If the deployment is 24 inches between enemies, and the rhino scouts 12 inches before turn 1, then the squad gets out on turn 1 before the rhino moves, they can get out 2.5 inches away, move 6, and assault 6, meaning on turn 1 your tac squad can attack enemies 26.5 inches away, before the enemy even has a chance to move.

In dawn of war its easier, as there is only 18 inches max between units. In spearhead, the minimum distance you can be, corner to corner, is 16.5 inches away. So the first turn assault is very possible in many of the deployment types.

I have been thinking about doing this with an Assault Terminator unit in a Land Raider. It might be a fun thing to throw at my opponent. I also want to try this out with a full on bike unit kitted out for anti-tank.

:lol:

It's so obvious to me now ... I can't think of why this won't work!

You, sir, just won "My Hero" award. Let's see if someone else takes it away.

From how I understand the rules it should work fine! When I run my meta game out in my head, I like the idea of the Bike more an more since you can Turbo Boost at your best target of opportunity.

The Land Raider is just evil though since you can roll right up into your enemies lines. Scout move, then regular move, and if you have them use your Flame Storm Cannons and light up as much of your opponents lines as possible.

From how I understand the rules it should work fine! When I run my meta game out in my head, I like the idea of the Bike more an more since you can Turbo Boost at your best target of opportunity.

The Land Raider is just evil though since you can roll right up into your enemies lines. Scout move, then regular move, and if you have them use your Flame Storm Cannons and light up as much of your opponents lines as possible.

Doesn't Sicarius's ability only affect Tactical Squads? If so, then no scouting bikes (unless you use the actual scout bikes) or scout LRs.

Yeah it only works if its a tac squad with a dedicated transport, so no bikers or landraiders being given scout.

You can put a flamer + combiflamer in the squad to poorly emulate the flamestorm cannons, and you can also use a razorback with las/twin plas with a 5 man combat squad with plasma+combiplasma if you dont care so much about a first turn assault... spitting out 6 plasma shots can be pretty worthwhile.

In fact, take 2 tac squads, one with a rhino and built for a first turn assault, one with a razorback and built for shooting, and use battleforged heroes on the most useful squad depending on mission and enemy army.

You dont need a landraider for shrike... infiltrate 18 inches away, move 6, fleet d6, assault 6. If shrike leaves the squad and later rejoins, he can jump out ahead of the termies to the max of 2 inch coherency to close the distance with the enemy, and like the land raider he then just needs to roll a 4+ on the fleet roll to get a first turn assault.

Shrike makes all manner of first turn assaults possible though, the idea was that a first turn assault with Sicarius' tactical squad would make Sicarius a little bit better.

Archived