Iron Warriors

Ok here is the low down on what is happening:

Me and my 2 mates + my brother are going to start a Tale of 4 Gamers

the list of armies is this:

Me: Iron Warriors (with other units and Khonre DP the FW one)

Mate 1: Renagade Imperial Guard

Mate 2: Eldar

Brother: Loyalist Imperial Guard (own regiment)

basically we plan to each buy 1 unit a month (we ain't rich) and paint it for the end of the month, this is except for the first month where we will each be getting 2 Troops and a HQ

and then i think we are after about 6 months going to get together and have a battle Chaos versus Others. right enough of why i am collecting Iron Warriors and onto my questions:

1) How to paint them i have no idea (i want them to be metalic) and i would like some advice

2) Does it make sense for them to have other allies eg. Khorne and Noise Marines (and maybe some PM but no TS i hate them)

3) Could i model Honsou and use him as my chaos lord?

4) How should i play them

5) is their any units i should strongly consider?

ok thanks a lot

Athiair :lol:

1) How to paint them i have no idea (i want them to be metalic) and i would like some advice

Dry Brush Boltgun metal with a big brush/tank brush. Then use Black wash, possible some mud wash?? then detail

2) Does it make sense for them to have other allies eg. Khorne and Noise Marines (and maybe some PM but no TS i hate them)

Iron Warriors use to be able to get 0-1 Khorne Bezerker unit, also in Storm of Iron there was a detachment of Iron Warriors bezerker as well/those falling into the way of Khorne.

Overall, it up to yourself. Rememeber you can "count as"

Death Guards - Bionic heavy IW

Thasound Son - Highly train specil unit, sort like ARC Trooper from Close war (Star Wars) with the Ap3 bolter, while the Inv save can be specil force feild of some sort

Slannesh Marines - Not sure really.

Or you can make the background where the IW Warsmith has chosen to go down a path of one of the chaos gods.

3) Could i model Honsou and use him as my chaos lord?

I'd model him as a normal IW warriors, but rememeber he got the left (?) side of his face ruin by that Ultramarine Captain Uriel. There was a conversion a while back (few year) not sure if it still around but with a bit of search. IU know the memeber use the Black Library specil ed model.

Chaos Lords, yes. Warsmith just another name for a lord.

4) How should i play them

What your style of play?? With me & my Iron Warriors I have alway been mobile, in 3.5 days apart from my small squads who give fire support, I had my preds as the usely Twin Lascannon, Heavy Bolter & Daemonic Possessed along with tons of Obliterators.

Now I've went a mix of Oblits, Termies, Rhinos units everthing on the move.

5) is their any units i should strongly consider?

Obliterators & Termies w/combi weapon ;)

IP

I like 2x10 man CSM squads with undivided and power fists, plus rhinos with extras, (extra armor and perhaps another combi bolter/hk missile--iron within, iron without lol) and then add a termie lord. That is a decent start for iron warriors, and fits your tale of 4 gamers 2 troop 1 hq requirement.

Next unit I would add is chaos termies (to go with the lord) with a land raider dedicated transport, as that way you get an extra 'heavy' into the list.

From there, max out on heavies... full oblit units, predators, vindicators; all heavies work, but focus on getting all 3 heavies+ the termie land raider for the iron warriors feel.

After that, im not sure, but that will last you 4-5 months, depending if the termies + land raider count as 2 units for 2 months, or 1 unit thanks to 1 FOC. As others said, 1 squad of berzerkers with rhino (again with extras in the rhino) fit nicely with your other 2 troop squads as you make the final push into month 5-6.

this is how i paint iron warriors

boltgun metal over chaos black undercoat

golden yellow stripes on some armor plates

highlight boltgun with chainmail

highlight golden yellow with sunburst

paint armor trim shining gold highlight with burnished gold

For painting I do black undercoat with boltgun over it it highlighted with chainmail. Then I give the whole thing a watered down flesh ink wash to give it a bit of an old and corroded look just make sure to water this down well or you will look like nurgle.

Horns and bones are black-->bestial brown--->bleached bone drybrush, trim is black-->tin bitz--->shining gold--->watered flesh wash.

For the hazard stripes because they are over black I start with snakebite leather and then do sunburst yellow over that. Then to make them look weathered I actually use flesh wash again, but I start from a corner and then work my way out using less and less wash and using a napkin to smooth out the fade effect and quickly wipe away mistakes. If done correctly this creates a gradient from almost brown to bright yellow which makes the stripes look much less flat and gives them that aged chaos legion look.

As for gameplay, just like any chaos army you probably want to focus of fast moving rhino-borne squads armed with assault weapons supported by a winged daemon prince and obliterators. Lucky for you this is actually pretty fluffy for Iron Warriors, though making the prince khorne prince is not. That said berzerkers are alright as long as your whole army isn't berzerkers, also you can convert them like I did mine--I cut off the bunny ears, filed off all khorne symbols, did other minor stuff and viola! "Siege breakers" they look different enough so as to not cause any confusion in opponents and definitely fit the IW theme.

Playing against IG and Eldar, they will have a lot of things covered. You may want to invest in some heavy bolters and daemon princes facing them. (Though a lord will do fine against toughness 3 using regular daemon weapon/lightening claws)

You will want some guns to take down eldar. They excel in speed and up close, so meltaguns and missile launchers are a must. Doubly, missile launchers frags can help when he bunches together with their T3 units, and pick on any higher toughness things they might bring.

If he gets grey knights with his guard, you can always antie up and get a few obliterators, though they arent cheap. (Oblits perhaps sooner rather then later because of their weapons loadout, best used along side tanks for mobile cover vs instant death weapons).

Other then that, some lesser daemons later on might help if they get banshees to pester you. Or run with plague marines (like IP said, bionic marines). To make him have to roll 6's to wound you. When plague marines get into hand to hand with guard, they wont kill them off unless they get something nasty to wipe them out of his lines like a bunch pof ogryns/grey knights/eviscerators etc.

So its just a game of tradeoffs, and countering eachother. Not much I can add to that, keep a keen eye in the codex and keep us updated.

ok cheers with unit ideas an i only just relised that i am the only army with T4 :devil:

anyway yeh with Honsou i really want to field him but he only has a Power Weapon and Bolter so isn't that great

so i might model him at one point (as an extra unit) and use him hopefully in the final battle

the painting tips are really useful

i like the idea of Siege Breakers (can i use that?) but i don't understand why the Khorne DP wouldn't work i want to use it becuase i love the Forgeworld model (it looks :))

anyway here is what i am thinking of getting over the 6/7 months (we have yet to decide):

1st month) Chaos Lord (termie armour + normal deamon weapon), 10 man Tactical Squad w/ rhino, 10 man Tactical Squad (shooty)

2nd month) Terminators + Land Raider

3rd month) Vindicator

4th month) 'Siege Breakers' with Rhino

5th month) 10 man Tactical Squad (probably shooty)

6th month) Havocs (shooty) or Defiler

7th month) Deamon Prince of Khorne

what do you think then i have a lot of Iron Warrior stuff

and then a nice big meaty combat thing of doom

ok i am talking to my mates today and we will iron (;)) out the creases

Athiair :D

ps. jeske: the loyalist player is only getting Veterans and the renagde player will probably only be getting Penal Legion (besides i might say at least 1 unit a month)

anyway here is what i am thinking of getting over the 6/7 months (we have yet to decide):

1st month) Chaos Lord (termie armour + normal deamon weapon), 10 man Tactical Squad w/ rhino, 10 man Tactical Squad (shooty)

3rd month) Vindicator

Look like a good start to your Iron Warrior army (I'd make 6th Month Obliterators ;) )

You should maybe start a log ether on this topic or on painting area of your Iron Warriors & how the grow along with battle reports??

IP

I would advise against a 3rd squad of regular CSM in month 5 when you already have 2 squads + berzerkers (siege breakers). Instead I would pick up the third and final heavy, especially if you wanted the 10 man squad to be shooty in the first place--the heavy support is your bread and butter, after all.

Plus, would you rather have to paint 30 of the same models, or 20 + something, anything, different?

And finally, make sure to give all the troop squads rhinos. If nothing else, models can shoot from the top hatch and use the rhino as a fortified position... something I think Iron Warriors would appreciate.

i don't like the idea of cult troops being fielded with IW and i don't like the idea of a marked prince either.

Actually brzrkrs are toatlly fluffy for IW's and there for I guess a K. DP would be alright too.

(sources, old IW's IA, C:csm 3.5, and honsou (sp?) novels.)

And speaking as a bit of a fluff nazi, I actually don't have a problem with PM being represented as IW's with bionics, stormshields, xtra armor, etc. as long as they were modeled up nicely and PM models were not used.

As to the OP

Do not get termi lord, too slow. I would use the K. DP especially if you like the model so much.

If you want to use honsou I would give him a D. weop., he is a very powerful lord after all, just cause he didn't have one in the last novel doesn't mean he hasn't gotten one since then.

Well he is planning on getting a termie retinue + land raider, so the lord can go in the raider i reckon.

Someone runs a warsmith as a Daemon Prince with Wings, no mark... Abhorred Riddick is his name? A search may reveal it, but he seemed to love the 135 point HQ in his Iron Warriors list.

If you really want to get silly, you could give the lord wings and a daemonweapon, and get out of a rhino and assault a target up to 20 inches from the access point. 4+1d6 attacks at s5 i5 is pretty nasty

oh yeh i forgot about the Oblits they are in

also as someone mentioned i will be getting a termie retinue for the Termie Lord so thats ok

also how the hell is a termie lord slow compared to a normal chaos lord?

i think i will still go for the Khorne DP becuase i love the model (but then again i may not becuase of money)

ok thats all i have for now

Athiair :)

If you really want to get silly, you could give the lord wings and a daemonweapon, and get out of a rhino and assault a target up to 20 inches from the access point. 4+1d6 attacks at s5 i5 is pretty nasty

Onlly way to use a chaos lord effectively

Not to mention if deep strike is relevant getting inside a medusa or manticore firing tank line with one guy, slapping down 3 tanks with str5 attacks hitting rear armor. (I have seen something similar happen, but with leman russes lol).

Termy armor is more of a 2+ save and deep strike thing, otherwise better off power armor and inside a unit where he can bounce around as he wishes. (Or hide easier behind tanks).

And its 20.75", remember disembarking is like coherency.

There is a compiled list of tactics and strategies in my signature from multiple sources. Check them out if you have time, since we know what your list is more like. (Might want a combi-melta on the berzerkers rhino if you get one)

ok breaking news for you guys

becuase the reneaged guard player is complained about money we have changed it to only 1 unit a month (inlcuding the first month)

except i am annoyed as i am automatically behind becuase the R. Guard player has his birthday in a couple of days and therefore is getting some guard units for his birthday

and the Eldar player has already 1 Hq and 2 Troops (plus an Avatar in the post)

so i am highly screwed, i am trying to sort out what is going to happen to make it equal so we shall see

but i need some adivce on which 2 units to take out

i was thinking the KDP becuase then i will save money (although i really love that model :rolleyes:)

and also the rhino tactical squad again to save money on the rhino

right now i need to save money (becuase i am only doing this temporaly as i really want to get a Guard army but that isn't anything right now) so i think that will also mean that i will not buy the Land Raider

again we shall see

ok thanks

Athiair :(

I guess I'm the only one that thinks the forge world khorne prince is kind of ugly. In any case if you run a DP it practically has to have wings, and wings are easier to attach to the metal GW model. Also 3 CSM squads are a good base, I always run 3 CSM squads and 1 zerk squad in 1500.

Also what do you mean by "shooty"? Do you mean with a heavy weapon? Because if so that's a massive waste of points, they should always have assault weapons, use obliterators and dakka preds for fire support.

yes by shooty i mean stay back and shoot the hell out of the enemy

and at the same time holding any opjective that i happen to have near by

also as i said i now don't have a lot of money so no DP (or any kind) will be included becuase i need to get the 1st month spread out now into 3 months

so basically i need a whole new plan for the 7 months

btw i might be able to convince them to let me buy 2 things in the first month as i would be behind otherwise

in which case i am thinking this for the 7 months:

1st Month: Terminator Lord, Tactical Squad not in rhino (i don't have the money for many transports)

2nd Month: Tactical Squad (proably not in rhino as well)

3rd Month: Terminators (as many as possible but still probably only 5)

4th Month Vindicator

5th Month: Siege Breakers in rhino (i kinda have to have them in a rhino so they are effective)

6th Month: Obliterators

7th Month: Either Havocs, another Tactical Squad, Defiler or Predator (anti tank)

so what do you think (especially of the 7th month i need a decision on that

i am going to check out how much that will all cost me

and see if it is viable

ok thanks

Athiair :)

I would go with a defiler or combipred for the last month. The defiler gives you some close combat and a large blast, the combipred gives you a higher number of anti tank shots. Havocs are more or less a waste compared to those two.

Also, while I feel for your pocket if you cant afford to get the land raider dedicated transport for the termies, I think the raider adds a lot to the list, and is very Iron Warriors.

3rd month) Vindicator

I would probably leave the land Raider till last or not at all, and maybe swap in siege breakers or havocs in its place. Also with so few proposed transports I cant see it lasting very long, so I would consider getting another Havocs squad instead (4 ML to cover all possibilities). If you want tanks maybe fit 2 predators in, as they are quite cheap in pts terms compared to LR.

I could see an iron warriors army having PM's and berserkers in it, especially if you paint them in same colur scheme as the rest of army, and just invent some plausible fluff reason. e.g Bionics for the extra toughness etc.

Archived