Legion, did it spoil the end of 40K?

hey guys just finished reading legion and it was a hell of a book. But I carnt help feeling like it spoiled the ending of 40k for me just a bit, what with the whole seeing how chaos and the imperium was going to be destroyed. Makes you realise your on the loosing side ya know. Any one else feel that way?

I agree with Drudge, I'm only on Fulgrim currently but knowing my fluff, I'm familiar with the book and it's general contents.

Also, no one knows who the Cabal are, where they come from and if they really are who they say they are. Let alone their motives.

They could be agents of Tzeench trying to gain support for their new champion in Horus and that actually, the Alpha Legion have been the most "fooled".

I quite like the tzzentch idea sham, though wouldnt see an eldar working on the side of tzzentch. What do people reckon about alpha now then, do you guys still think they are loyal to the Emperor and are fighting a long war or do you think they have fully turned to chaos?

Legion was released close to the 5th Ed rulebook if I remember correctly (if notr forgive me) and I think that the guys who make the fluff wanted 40k to take a more darker shade. If you remember back then there was about twenty million thread here saying that it was all going to end in tears. I had nice little one moaning about how we got shafted but a few year on and everything is the same. If you want to know the ending keep playing and winning you are making 40k history with each win and loss :mellow:

Enjoy

Tzeench doesn't always divulge his plan or that it is even his plan... so I would have thought that an Eldar wouldn't have to know that the Great Path maker would even be involved, or any of the Cabal...

I still maintain that the one last great crusade led by Abaddon, with the assistance of several mighty Ork hoards and some well placed serious daemon incursions would see the downfall of the vastly undermanned and outstretched Imperium of man once and for all... Oh, not forgetting the traitor legions being added to as Chapter after Chapter of currently Loyalist marines turn to the dark side before a new dawn...

Oh dear, think i've just gone megalomaniac on us all...!

I liked how somebody gave a flying ;) about Alpha Legion for once and not furiously cranking out more iron warriors or word bearer nonsense.

And the ending of the book is still kind of up in the air, there are too many variables, and it's kind of in 40k's nature to be both grim and dark. (Just look at eldar. They're dying off and they look silly.)

I once read someone theorized that there are still two separate Alpha Legion warbands or what have you floating around in the vast galaxy of the far future. Those still loyal to the Emperor and his vision, and those who have slipped away from that and have just gone to Chaos, like Arkhos the Faithless. I'm willing to bet the Alpha Legion has infiltrated most of the Imperium hierarchy (including the Inquisition and High Lords of Terra), so you could say they may just have the fate and control of Mankind in their hands. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Our glorious final victory was never in doubt brothers, the Powers of Chaos have forseen all and we are still on the path set by the Warmaster. Come the End of the Long War we will sweep aside any and all oposition the frail and weak so-called 'Imperium of Man' can field against us. One last time we will assail the walls of the Palace on Ancient Terra, one last time will we crash against the Eternal Gates and this time, this time we will crush the defenders of the False Emperor! To tear his rotten corpse from the necromantic Throne on Earth was and has always been our birth right! And once his long dead soul has been torn in four by the Great Powers of the Immaterium, the galaxy will be ours, as is only just because it was we who conquered it in the first place!

Our great Primarchs, long since ascended unto beyond the Mortal plain and into Immortality will rise from the Eye that sheltered us and together we will govern Mankind. Not by lies and deception like the minions of the false Corpse God who betrayed us so long ago, but by right of might and force of arms! Mankind will transcend from the depressed state it is in now and be set free of the shackles cast upon it by the pathetic scribes and clercks of Terra.

The Great Crusade will be set upon once more and this time we will not stop untill we have whiped the galaxy clear of the hated Xenos. No more mercy, no more respite, this time we will obliterate our foes utterly. The Greenskin will be cleansed from the stars, their so called 'prophet' called to justice on the World Named For The End Of Days. The Eldar and their darker kin will be released from their suffering, their extincion begone when the Dark Prince was born will be fullfilled. We shall rain death upon their space bourn 'craft worlds' and cleanse the Webway with fire and sword of the infernal raiders that dwell there. The upstart Tau, filthy degenerates and newling pups, will be put in their rightfull place: dust and ashes on burnt out plains. Their technological prowess will aid our brethren from the Dark Mechanicus in their quest for knowledge. The Unseen Predator that lurks in the desert between galaxies shall be met on the field of battle, and with the power of Chaos they shall be driven from whence they came! The Long Dead things that start to stir in their tombes will be smashed asunder, no match as they are for the strenght of the Warp. Their slumbering forms will never emerge from the tombes hidden beneath so many worlds that belong to Humans. These and many more Alien things we shall destroy, burn out of their holes and run into the ground.

So it was to be Ten Thousand years ago when the hated False Emperor betrayed and abandoned us and so it shall be once again!

The battle brothers of the Alpha Legion may have joined our Dark Crusade for the wrong reasons or not, it matters no more. During the ten thousand years of the Bitter War they have proven to be worthy allies and cunning adversaries of the cursed Imperium. Their efforts to destabalise and despoil the workings of the misguided fools that follow a long dead relic have proven to be just as succesfull as any of ours. The Architect of Fate has or will decide the roll they shall play in his Great Schemes as does he for us all. For his plans are without flaw as his sight gazes upon the strands of time and possibility and he sees all that was, is, could and will be. His design drives us ever onward, like the warlust of the Blood God, the hedonism of the Prince of Pleasure and the putrid filth of the Lord of Decay.

Also, no one knows who the Cabal are, where they come from and if they really are who they say they are. Let alone their motives.

At least one of them is an Eldar (Autarch, I think), and we all know that they're just trying to play everyone so that they get 'their' galaxy back.

The ending didnt end it for me, if there is some long view plan for the Alpha Legion, it hasnt come to fruition in the ensuing 10,000 years. What ruined the book for me was too much Imperial Guard and not enough Legion.

Yeah I sympathise with the Grand Admiral there.

I'm an Alpha Legion player and have been for a long time. I really enjoyed the book (and the heavy Imperial Army slant too) but when it got towards the end I started to feel very anxious about how alot of people were going to react. And sadly my worst fears were realised; The Schism. Two Alpha Legion factions emerged : Those that have the Legion as fallen like the other traitors, and those that see the Legion as some form of hugely misunderstood anti heros, still fighting the Great Crusade,noblely sacrificing themselves to stay true to the Emperor dispite the slings and arrows of all other factions.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, the latter faction seems to be mid-late teenage boys.

After over a year of having this debate on the internet and in my local GW store, I've stoped joining in (most of the time) and instead curse the name of Abnett The Discord-Bringer and storm out for another cigarette.

I don't agree with that per say. As I said, I believe there are two factions of actual Alpha Legions, those still somewhat loyal (in their minds I suppose), and those who full embrace Chaos. And as far as mid-late teens believing the latter? I'm in my late twenties and believe it. So there goes that theory. People in general usually go for the anti-hero, which I believe is what Abnett created with the Alpha Legion. Like the Punisher. The end justifies the means.

I think they were at one point two Alpha Legion factions, but in current timeline there is only one: Those who embraced chaos. Second group ? Most died, embraced chaos, lost their cause ... and only few survived. Too little to became meaningful faction.

it was probablly this way . alfarius goes for teh quick horus win, they fail [even if they do stop SW from joining , but not the WS] . one of the twins decides that all is lost , thats why he gets himself killed by ultra primarch . other twin goes crazy [whats nothing special twins are know to take the death of a sibling very hard ] and probablly in the end goes chaos . But thats not important what he thinks or does , because in the AL every sm was tough to think and am make decisions based on his own point of view[what was very special and different from all other legions]. So right now there are many different sects , doing different stuff , some more chaotic then other with the common view of the whole AL that demons are warp entities and more or less everything else that lives is inferior to them [as a legion ,not as a singular csm].

I like the split legion idea... it sort of has the Dark Angels feeling to it. So the Imperium gets hald the DA and half the AL, albiet that the AL will probably be "stuck in the middle" with both sides shooting at them. The "Fallen" and the evil, crazed AL are on the back of the forces of chaos. I'm looking forward to adding some Fallen faction to my BL... just wish I could come into some money...

I can't help but feel that book is, purposefully, filled to the brim with lies.

You have the Alpha Legion, who are notorious liars.

You have a (alpha level?) psyker who lies to everyone.

The Imperials are lying to each other.

And you have a xenos cabal lead by an Eldar, who are also notorious liars.

Yeah, I take everything from Legion with a barrel full of salt.

Whether it's true or not, I was entirely unsurprised. I mean really, Chaos can corrupt any living creature and will exist as long as there is life, since it comes from living minds. If you think about it, the only way for Chaos not to eventually win is if the Necrons do.

Archived