Some WiP Mentor Legion marines for your enjoyment!

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but I've recently started a loyalist force, the army list for which I shall add at a later date, but I'd like to share what minis I have done with you!

Please enjoy, and apologies for picture quality!

Lets start with my Captain, who will count as Cato Sicarius. He isn't equipped with weapons here as he'll be part of a GD project, the 'scabbard servitor' acting as his sword in the piece.

gallery_29868_3626_685379.jpg

and the back;

gallery_29868_3626_1111949.jpg

Now onto the servitor itself. I plan to convert 3 more members of the Captains reitnue, including a chapter serf bearing his helmet, a banner bearer, and a mechanicum representative carrying his plasma pistol.

gallery_29868_3626_436519.jpg

And the back;

gallery_29868_3626_54291.jpg

Now onto the Sternguard. You'll probably notice a theme emerging; that every marine in the army will be wearing MKIV 'Maximus' pattern power armour, as, frankly I think it's the nicest looking armour. Also, with this theme, I'm trying to break from the regular boring 'OMG this marine shares the same lame-ass horse leg stance as most other marines in this army! XD', and have rather opted to at least as variation.

You'll also notice how the left shoulderpad of each marine is one of the riveted design, which I like for aesthetic and fluff reasons. On a couple of occassions (and with the Captain) I have added rivets to the legs aswell.

Furthermore, with these sternguard, I have tried to create the feeling of gross confidence granted of a thousand battles, and, as such, they aren't running at all, instead casually strolling around the battlefield popping off shots with consumate ease and precision.

The Sgt.

gallery_29868_3626_60399.jpg

And from the side (to see bionics);

gallery_29868_3626_1123218.jpg

Sternguard #2 (meant to be walking);

gallery_29868_3626_734448.jpg

Sternguard #3;

gallery_29868_3626_400474.jpg

And from the side;

gallery_29868_3626_494527.jpg

Sternguard #4;

gallery_29868_3626_254529.jpg

Sternguard #5 (my personal favourite);

gallery_29868_3626_804368.jpg

And from the side;

gallery_29868_3626_957864.jpg

Sternguard #6;

gallery_29868_3626_1021967.jpg

And from the side;

gallery_29868_3626_682229.jpg

Now I intend to add a couple more sternguard armed with combi meltas. Tempted to convert the meltas or use melta bombs to count as the one off shot as not only would it give reason for some really dynamic poses, but also because the GW combi-meltas are so cumbersome!

Anyways, I have one more marine to show you all; a normal squad sgt, whose pose I am rather pleased with!;

gallery_29868_3626_937546.jpg

And from the side;

gallery_29868_3626_298273.jpg

Please let me know what you think of my work and I'll try to keep you all updated!

The Emperor protects!

Jongleur

The androids looking cool Jack... The legs are great, but seeing them I recon you can make a better chest than that necron one...

But please bring them round so I can take some better photos... You guys that think these are nice have no idea how much these photos dont do them justice, especially the captain. I

I just got round to taking some pics of the guy for Jack. Hope this helps people see more of the detailing he's put in to the models.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3210.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3214.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3216.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3219.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3217.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3220.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/NeilCollins_/DSCF3221.jpg

Looking good, always been a fan of the Mentors.

Where did you get the body of the "bird"?

I'd guess of an Inquisitor, there was one tha had an eagle, but I'm not sure, if I recall it correctly the model I'm talking about was metal, this is plastic.

great work by the way. can't wait to see them painted.

The body of the cyber eagle conversion is from the Bretonnian Knight sprue. I find Warhammer Fantasy bitz VERY useful when I'm doing conversions.

Thanks for the comments and keep em' coming!

Capt. Jack

Very nice. Think I might order myself some of those Mark IV bits.

The cyber-birds a real nice touch. I'd suggest if you do any more, have some in Mark VIII armour as that's the most advanced, and Mentors are all about new advanced wargear.

Love the scabbard servitor too, very original.

I'd suggest if you do any more, have some in Mark VIII armour as that's the most advanced, and Mentors are all about new advanced wargear.

Great suggestion. I kinda like the idea that the older/more skilled battle brothers inherit/wear the rarer armour. I may have to equip a squad with MKVIII armour then!

As for the scabbard servitor, I'm rebuilding it, as it didn't look Imperial/Mechanicus enough. I'll add pics when it's done!

Thanks again for the comments!

Capt. Jack

Just been working on the scabbard servitor concept. It's still got a little to do, but I would appreciate whatever comments and advice from you guys.

The basic idea I was getting at, as suggested by Koran, a good friend of mine, was that his arms, which would otherwise have looked redundant, should be writing implements, constantly updating the list of foes the sword has, in the Emperor's grace, pacified. I thought the quill would kinda fit in with the whole weird Mechanicum/Imperium sentimentality.

Again, apologies for the budget quality of the photos, I'm sure at some point I'll get Koran to take some epic ones for me!

Front;

gallery_29868_3626_659258.jpg

Sides:

gallery_29868_3626_452500.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_1181573.jpg

The Emperor protects!

Capt. Jack

Good stuff. Yeah that body works SO much better than the necron.

Im still not sure about the ink quill.... The Imperium is nothing if not practical in its use of tech and I dont think it would use a quill in the middle of battle, it'd run out of ink after a name.... I prefer the idea of a mini airbrush type thing.

where is the face from anyways?

The face is from the Sisters of Battle tank crew gunner. I got rid of the hair/ears/comms.

Added some rivets to the scabbard servitor and replaced the quill with some tubing to its back. And 'secured' the scabbard itself with some chain and 'bolts'. Depending on what my friends say when I show them tonight that may be it finished! Well, apart from the base, which will be a broken down column or something similar.

The Emperor Protects!

Capt. Jack

Lol. The feminine visage is meant to represent the weird aesthetic choices the Mechanicum make. I will probably paint it to look like white ceramic. If you've ever read the Eisenhorn/ Ravenor books there are great examples of very opulent Mechanicum creations.

The Emperor protects!

Capt. Jack

Loyal citizens of the Imperium!

I have been working on some more characters for my GD 'retinue/squad'; A tech servitor/gun bearer, a failed scout/chapter serf helmet bearer, and a Marine banner bearer.

The idea I wanted to put across was one of variety amongst the Space Marine ranks, as thousands of orderlies, serfs and servitors are required for the maintenance of equipment and administrations of forces.

So, without further ado, a picture of my WiP helmet bearer;

gallery_29868_3626_1779985.jpg

Apologies for the crude pics, I'll acquire a decent camera soon enough!

As mentioned before, I like the idea that many of the serfs loyal to the Chapter were humans who failed the trials of becoming a scout. As such, he is still quite big, and I used an Empire flaggeland head (with the scarring) to hint at previous battle experience. I will probably give him a laspistol too, as he would have been pretty good with weaponry to even have been considered for scouthood. As for the robes, I will have very loose pieces blowing in the wind, to fit with his Captain, and the remainder of the squad. I shall also as a GS cloth in his right hand, as he will be cleaning his masters helm after a gritty skirmish.

And next, the servitor;

gallery_29868_3626_1050039.jpg

I like the idea that the rarer weapons the chapter used are held in more reverence, and as such have Mechanicum representatives caring for them, and keeping them in good order. I will eventually add an ornate case with a plasma pistol within on the raised hand.

And finally, the Marine Standard bearer;

gallery_29868_3626_1014042.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_1258430.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_141085.jpg

I wanted to make sure that the standard was held by a marine, as the importance of the Chapter standard is of paramount importance.

Furthermore, I have given the marine artificer armour, as he would have access to more ornate/useful equipment in the chapter armouries. In an hommage to the 2nd edition banner bearers, I have given him a powerfist. The banner is hopefully giving a good idea of wind direction, and the tile underneath will be cracked under the pressure of the marines grip.

I gave the marine a catachan head, as frankly, it looks pretty badass. He will be painted with a dirty/stubbly face, and he will have his helmet slung on his belt, along with necessary packs, and a modified bolter on the other side.

Anyways, please enjoy and add C&C!

The Emperor is ever watchful!

Capt. Jack

"Vision Express-What would you like to see?"

I would like to see more of Capt. Jack's Mentor Legion Space Marines.

Please.

Incredible work on each individual marine. It's hard to pick out a favourite. The converted backpacks are beautifully done & the scratchbuilt servitors are awesome. The scabbard servitor looks like some creepy pinnochio.

Since the Mentor Legion are weapon & equipment testors for the Adeptus Mechanicus, will you be making some unique weaponry for them?

Archived