Some WiP Mentor Legion marines for your enjoyment!

Nice Models, always been a fan of the Mentors... I like using the Catachan heads, but scraping the bandanas off so they're less recognizable. I like your poses on the SG and especially on the Captain! The GS on the banner/powerfist guy is a bit rough. No doubt awaiting more HE horns... I've got a bunch, let me see if I can dig them up....

No doubt awaiting more HE horns... I've got a bunch, let me see if I can dig them up....

Que? HE horns? I'm probably being a complete idiot but I don't understand!

Kikunosuke: I will probably add some weird technology the odd marine to add variety, I like the idea that each marine will be really diverse and different, unlike many armies you find nowadays :D

The Emperor makes a mean spagetti, um, I mean protects...

Capt. Jack

hey Capt. Jack, sorry its been a long time since i have been on B&C. anyways i have had a good look at your work and i am really really impressed. the captain is aces and the bionics on the Sgt. are really well done. i also like the scabarb carrying servitor, looks very nice. all in all great work mate, and i know theyll really shine when you get them painted.

10/10

peace

The helmet bearer still needs some bulking out, though, it looks a bit off

Quite so Cathar! I needed to get his general shape sorted, and then I'm going to sculpt billowing robes over that, with a censer on his belt. Wind direction is one of the things I'm trying to incorporate into this piece, as I recon the judges would love it. But then I doubt I'll get this done in time!

The Emperor likes using thyme in many of his recipes... um, I mean protects...

Capt. Jack

Greetings brothers!

Been working on an Apothacary this morning, so should put pics up in a bit!

Also, wondered what you guys think I should have in this retinue, which I'm bulking out a little, so there are 3 serfs/servitors, and 5 marines.

Thus far for the marines I have the Captain, his Banner Bearer, and Apothacary, the concepts of a cool looking Champion, but what do YOU guys think I should have as the final one? I'm thinking either Librarian, Chaplain or Techmarine?

Let me know, and reasons why!

Many thanks.

The Emperor protects!

Capt. Jack

techmarine or chaplain:

techmarine- would fit the mentors high tech fluff better.

chaplain-- i'd personally like to see your take on a chaplain using a non- metal kit (not every chaplain is gonna be armed to the teeth with bling)

First,I must say...amazing and very interesting army! Some pretty original ideas and concepts (as far as I'm concerned).

I would really like to see more of your Mentors.

And to try and help you with your dilemma, I would say: make all of them! At least for the modeling/converting sake. I'm very interested in how would they come out,based on these previous minis,they would probably be superb!

cheers

Calimehtar

Greetings!

I suppose it could be awesome to do all three, and I need to make a Librarian anyways, but the only problem I'd have with the Techmarine, although better suited to the fluff, I fear a successful scratchbuild could overshadow the Captain, which I don't want!

I'll upload the WiP Apothacary tomorrow night after work, and hopefully the pic quality won't ruin the overall idea!

The Emperor protects!

Capt. Jack

I hope people can back me up here and bring you around to the way of fluff ;p I know what you want for this unit, and I hear you go on about them enough to know you want them to look sweet.... And dont get me wrong they do. But dont underestimate how much missing out on something that will show off their fluff will screw you if you ignore it.

For a start youve got the typical mentor legion background saying you should have a techmarine but at the moment Id say even if it was another chapter youve got the servitor carrying the weapon, ornate armour and weapons held in in VERY high esteem (the serf/servitor holding the plasma gun and the one holding the sword recording its history). All these things scream out about a chapter that holds its equipment and armour very high up, not having a techmarine then ignores all the things that scream out about the rest of the unit.

You say the techmarine could overshadow the commander, I dont doubt that will be true at this stage. But once painted with all the freehand your going to be doing on the commander it will no longer be the case.

The thing Im hoping that will make you see the light is that if you ignore the fluff you chose for your unit (and have shown through the project) you might as well be making terminators with jumpacks or starwars marines.... Yeah they are nice and a bit of fun, but if that all you want this project to be?

(No offence is meant by this to anyone involved in the projects I have just mentioned, I know they are meant as a bit for fun and hence I dont write comments on your threads (well I did on one and have since apologised).)

Can you gs a whole bunch of tubes and wires coming from the joints and head?

The Servitor itself has a couple of connections and a piston controlling his head. To a large degree, I like the idea that it looks very elegant, as it's purpose, like many servitors across the imperium, is clerical and non-combat (doesn't actually fight).

I may eventually add maybe a couple, but ultimately I think they would detract from the fact it looks so nimble!

Thanks regardless!

As for Koran, I have taken onboard what you've said and have come to the conclusion that you're a douche! Nah, kidding, but seriously, you have some awesome points, which I have either chosen to ignore, or had not thought about. I shall go ahead with a Techmarine, but, but SCRATCHBUILT!?!?!?! <_<

That will be an epic project on its own!

Stay tuned guys!

The Emperor protects

Capt. Jack

Greetings!

I have a couple of treats for you guys today, as you're all such good little Imperial citizens!

I've been working on the Apothacary and the Champion for the Command Squad/GD entry, and I'm pretty pleased with the results! They're still pretty WiP so any C&C would be appreciated!

Notice with the Champ how his left arm and the left side of his face are robotic! ^^

Also, with the apothacary, he will eventually be holding a vial in his left hand containing geneseed harvested before the 'calm' of the battle/campaign.

Let me know what you think of the concept/models, and feel free to ask any questions!

The Apothacary;

gallery_29868_3626_19999.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_455116.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_383423.jpg

And the Champion (the right pad and sword are blu-tacked on atm):

gallery_29868_3626_696603.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_257862.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_171242.jpg

Enjoy my brothers!

The Emperor protects!

Capt. Jack

Yeah the chainsword looks MUCH better than the bolter.... I dont know why that didnt look right but it just didnt. The champion is looking nice, but like the other's that are meant to be in artificer armour Id like to see a bit more detailing on the armour to make it stand out (yes I know your not finished ;p). The sword and pose look great but Id change the hand a a bit (I'll explain that when I see you and we have a sword to hand as opposed to here).

Anyway, good stuff.

Hey all,

Showed the champ to a couple of friends of mine (Koran being one of them), and they confirmed my fear that the right hand holding the sword looks a bit crap.

Hence, I have changed it to a spock style undergrip, which is how peeps hold swords in the real world!

Let me know what you think!

gallery_29868_3626_904272.jpg

Also, I need suggestions for the techmarine! Let me know what you think I should do with him (pose/build etc.)

The Emperor Protects!

Capt. Jack

hail fellow Battle-Brother, nice work on the apothacary. i like the model alot but i feel you could make it pop even more with a little GS-fu. oh and the champion rocks, i love the pose and the sword is awesome. great ideas mate. keep the amazing work coming.

peace

Ah, now these are awesome :) Your plasticard work with the servitors is really, really cool. I concur with the general consensus that the cyber-pidgeon is awesome! :P

I was just wondering, where is the bird-like head you're using for your Sternguards backpacks from? It looks vaguely High Elfy, but I can't place it! I think it's a brilliant idea, and would fit the fluff for my own Dawn Guard so well.

Cheers! B)

I was just wondering, where is the bird-like head you're using for your Sternguards backpacks from? It looks vaguely High Elfy, but I can't place it! I think it's a brilliant idea, and would fit the fluff for my own Dawn Guard so well.

Thankyou Sain of Steel.

The Eagle heads are from High Elf musicians for the bowmen or something like that, with the tongues cut out. A friend of mine gave them to me, as theyre aparently somewhat redundant!

Stay tuned!

The Emperor Protects!

Capt. Jack

Hey All,

Been working on my Librarian this evening; not got much done though, but I thought I'd post up a very WiP pic all the same!

Will be green stuffing a tabbard, and adding various keys and books with a pistol probably, and a load of purity seals. Waiting on Eagle backpack, but otherwise I'm generally happy with the look so far!

gallery_29868_3626_394282.jpg

Let me know what you think guys!

The Emperor protects!

Capt. Jack

hey Capt. nice work on the librarian, cant wait to see what you will add in terms of adornments and GS work. nice staff by the way, makes a change from the usual force weapons i see around, also good use of guitar wire man. it does work exceptionally well as power hosing. all i nall great work.

post more, paint more

peace

Hey guys,

Decided to change around the Librarian posing; just wasn't at all happy with it. Using advice given by Koran, ive left him standing, resting his hand on a tome. There is much GS work to be done, for the joints, skulls horns, and drapery (also purity seals).

I thought adding the raven on the backpack would be a nifty addition as a familiar!

Let me know what you guys think!

gallery_29868_3626_359788.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_770537.jpg

gallery_29868_3626_873182.jpg

The Emperor Protects!

Capt. Jack

Hi,

Your librarian looks great!

The revised pose looks alot better in my opinion.

You've done some great,yet simple conversion work,particularly the guitar string cables and the raven on the marines backpack.

His head adds alot of character too,i believe its the head of the scout Sgt. character?

Good stuff.

Cheers,

Mikey.

P.s.what happened to the Hakanor's reavers??

His head adds alot of character too,i believe its the head of the scout Sgt. character?

P.s.what happened to the Hakanor's reavers??

Thanks Dude,

The head is from Ultramarines scout master Telion! Pretty characterful indeed!

As for the Reavers, they kinda became a warhost of different Chaos forces which are kinda on the backburner, so near to completion too! ARGH!

Anyways,

Say tuned guys, I'll be adding more regularly, and in a couple of weeks getting a proper camera!

The Emperor Protects,

Capt. Jack

Archived