What to get when starting Chaos...

A friend of mine is starting Warhammer 40k and has expressed interest in the betrayer legions...

;)

A bunch of his friends and I are going to chip in and get him the Chaos Marine starter kit and hopefully some other boxes.

and this is where you guys come into the picture.

What should I get him (I'm responsible for picking the stuff up) other than that?

He doesn't know 40k enough to pledge himself to a specific god just yet, so I was thinking of getting him something generic. Some Obliterators maybe?

Or standard troops?

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance :(

As a new Chaos player myself I would say two words... proxy units!!

Basic chaos space marine squads and rhinos are a great way for your friend to start, and they were my first purchases. Rhino's can be proxied for predators / vindicators while your friend gets used to the game and seeing what units he likes to play. Likewise, the basic CSMs can double as Plagues Marines, Bezerkers, etc.

Personally, instead of going for Obliterators, I would buy a squad of Chaos Terminators - I use these as Obliterators too, which has saved me a fortune! My fellow players are happy for me to do this.

By "starter kit", do you mean the Renegade Strike Force, or the Battleforce? Getting him both might not be bad. Pick him up three oblits, a demon prince, some big wings, and some melta gun bits, and you've got a decent 2K army, if a bit thin on troops.

If its just the battle force, then another rhino, a DP, big wings, some oblits, and a spare melta gun and plasma gun would be nice. Again, a bit thin on troops, but he could mix and match possesed (who are not very good, especially as a unit of 5) with CSM to make two squads of 10 CSM.

So far it's the Battle Force I'll be getting him and if there's enough money left, some other goodies.

I'll have to take a look at the renegade strike force and see what it's like...

Proxying won't be a problem. He's welcome to do that as much as he wants...

I can't remember what's in the battle force, but if it has a bunch of possessed and spawn in it you'll be buying him a bunch of stuff that's really not that good. Basicly you want to get him csm's, rinos, oblits and somekind of HQ (not termi HQ), maybe some brzrkrs, can't go wrong with any of those.

Ok, that's cool, cheers.

The Battle Force has:

15 Chaos Space Marines (includes 1 Chaos Space Marine Champion

1 Chaos Space Marine Icon Bearer

1 Chaos Space Marine with heavy bolter

1 Chaos Space Marine with plasma gun)

5 Possessed Chaos Space Marines (includes 1 Possessed Chaos Space Marine Champion)

8 Khorne Berserkers (includes 1 Skull Champion)

1 Chaos Space Marine Rhino

Is that decent to get started?

It sounds like another Box or two of standard CSM would be the best thing to get him...?

Actually another rino would be good, as the battle force gives him basicly 3 squads of troops and only 1 rino.

Is the battle force cheaper then buying all that stuff piecemill ? Because he really doesn't need/shouldn't use the possessed.

If it is cheaper to buy the BF he could just use the possessed as bits.

I've used Ebay to buy nearly all of my army, and have saved a lot of money. Don't have a great deal of time to paint / assemble miniatures, so I've bought a lot of stuff ready painted and picked up some real bargains - 20 old-school plague marines for £4, a couple of rhinos for less than £5 each... there are some great deals out there if you look! I don't think any Chaos player can lose by buying 2-3 rhinos when they start out. They'll be used in pretty much every game you play, and as I said before are good proxy units for preds/vinds.

Battleforce was what I started off with as well, and it is cheaper than buying them all seperately from GW or any retailer, even if you just bought everything but the possessed. It is also a good start, as it pretty much gives him everything he needs to learn how to play.

In addition to that, I would get him either the Demon Prince or the generic Chaos Lord (with the power fist and combi-melta) for his HQ and another Rhino, and let him decide what route he wants to go for additional units when he gets more used to the game.

I picked up the renegade strike force. On ebay you can pick one up from under 2k. I got mine for 150 bucks.

20 marines, 2 rhinos, 5 terminators, a Terminator Lord, a Land Raider, a Vindicator and a Defiler are a great deal from under 200 dollars. I felt this was a better start for me than the battlefore.

Get the Battleforce and sell the Possesed, most sensible thing to do. Rest of the stuff is good, you could even convert the normal Marines quite easily in Plague marines, So you got 2x 7 squads of Plague Marines and squad of 8 Berzerkers. With that you enough troops to upto and including 1750 points!

So the rest can be spend on:

-Rhinos, try to get these cheap from other people! Would be a shame if you have to pay for them, as you need at least another 2 for playing competative.

-Termi boxes: convert Obliterators from these, really saves a lot of cash and its not that hard to do.

-Princes: well you pretty much need these... You could use other models though instead of the metal one.

to get you playing indeed a Prince (you could stick possesed wings on him haha, as he needs wings) and the battleforce with an additional rhino.

Edit: dont like the renegade force thing, quite inefficient unless you trade units, because it includes 3 different heavy support choices and thats not the most effective way of playing chaos...

While I am not connected with them in any way, I have found Wargames Empire (https://www.wargamesempire.com/shop/page/1?shop_param=) to be really good value. They have the Strike Force for £145, but you can get all the indivdual components for about the same money and perhaps get a 2nd vindi instead of the defiler. I am also leaning towards a fluffy IW list (no DPs for me - yeah I know my army will be gimped) and looking at this sort of purchase.

My purchases will be from GW for conversion kits, accessory sprues, IW shoulder pads etc, FW for resin Rhino and Land Raider doors, and WGE for the rest.

I understand the renegade force was a bit scattered, but for the price I paid for it it was worth it. I'm going to probably unload the defiler, and the terminator lord.

I previously had a vindicator at home, and a spare chaos vehicle sprue.

So for my heavy support I'll get 2 vindicators and have the Land Raider for a terminator transport. In my case it works, but then again it depends on the purpose of the army.

Are you playing to be competitive? Then multiple units are a must.

If your playing games in your spare time with friends and the hobby is mainly a weekly get together for painting and modeling, then the set gives you a nice sampler.

Archived