Who uses a Land raider

Joshta

In A C:CSM list who uses a land raider or who doesn't use them AND Why?

I am trying to get some rationale about Keeping my LR in my list.

I'm sure the more experienced Chaos players here will have more to offer in response than me, but so far my use of Land Raiders has had pretty poor results... mostly I've been using them solo (only have the one) in 1000 - 1500 point armies.

So, nearly all of the games I've played with them go like this - my opponents sees me put it on the table, and go "Oh, you decided to play the Land Raider tonight... good luck with that..." The game then starts and if there are any Eldar in range, a bright lance usually pops it on the first turn! Failing that either the Tau or the Space Marines I play take it out of action before it is of any use to me... it's a fire magnet to all my opponents, and an expensive one at that.

I've read on here that the best way to play them is to have two of them, and I can totally see the logic of that. I rarely take mine now - it costs too much in points, and I can be pretty much guaranteed that in my multiplayer games there's going to be a bright lance on the Eldar army list somewhere just waiting to blow it up!

I've used land raider sometimes at lowest 1500 point games. Using them against eldar is just foolish. Otherwise I find them good to have an important squad in. They draw alot of antention also. A good fire magnet for you.

I use LR's in @ 30% of my games, It jsut depends on what I take and what I feel like playing that game.

How good a LR does depends on what else is in the army, playstyle, opponent you are facing (eldar, DE :D ), etc., just like some other choices.

LR's not a "good no matter what" unit like fullly loaded csm squad or oblits.

2 LR's are better then 1.

I use mine every once in a while. Last game I used it in was a 3k apocalypse force 1v1 (1k pts in troops) it sat on an objective and lured a trygon for the majority if its game. It did nothing but it almost won me the game. For its role I mean...

In 2k, I use it to transport a unit of 3 termies and 2 lords/sorcerers for max unit decimation on a charge. Normally to eat up sternguard, a tyranid warrior unit or termies. Thats if I really dont care what happens to the raider.

Most games it ends up sitting there shooting its two TLLC's. Using 2 TLLC+HB predators for the same role would cost more then a land raider, so I'm not unsatisfied with its gun loadout. (Heck two TLLC preds cost 210 pts)

I've started using one. I like it pretty well. It draws fire away from my rhinos and gives me a nice block to hide oblits or my DP behind. I don't push it forwards turn one; usually it sits still and shoots all its guns, moves 6" turn two, then rushes turn 3. There's probably other equally good or better options for the points, but I like a list with a variety of stuff in it. I find it mixes well with my force.

That said, I haven't used it against railgun heavy tau, or eldar of any sortl, or even played against them since I got it.

Unless you are up against Bright Lances of Broadsides, it usually lasts a long time. People only shoot las cannons at it if their is no other armor or MC to go for. I always possess mine so that even on a glance you ignore just about everything. The only thing that can deal with them aside from lances and rail guns are meltas, and whether it is from deep strike or a transport, you usually wont take a shot from one till turn 3.

it was ok in the first two , maybe three months of 5th ed when not everyone has rebuild and refited their armies for new edition . right now LR rush builds just die too fast[at least the chaos ones] . too many melta units that are really hard to counter[termicid/sternguard-dreads-ironclads in drop pods, mulit melta attack bikes etc] and LR are huge models so you opponent have it easy to not give them cover save. if someone plays a noob or bad army they can be quite effective , but then again that can be said against any serious build.

yes of course he means that.

Anyways:

Used it quite a lot, a couple of times with 2 land raiders at 1500-1750 and quite some gamess with 1 land raider at 1500.

If you are not up against top players it ussually works well, its as simple as that. For tournement play I dont think its worth the risk to lose such an important model early, but for less serious tournement/friendly games it is actually quite good.

I only have 1 Land Raider, so it doesn't get used much. Perhaps if I get another 1 or 2 I might start throwing them down more often.

I use 1 in my 1500 point list, it does ok, but i play with friends (chaos/chaos daemons,GK, nids, and new IG at some point), so there isnt that much that can take it out on t1 unless they are lucky.

I use mine to shield my rhino's and DP, and basically be a big threat, that combined with my vindicator, often cause a more obvious problem to deal with them my DP who is hiding behind the landraider to jump out and munch something tasty.

I can see that in tourny settings, it wouldnt be much use using it, and it would be hit and miss in random games in a club, but i'd still use mine if i went to a club setting.

the 1850 plaguefist list with 2 of them would just be nasty. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;#entry1804985

I do, even in small games. I'm not sure they kill 225 points worth of stuff, but I like twin-linked lascannons and AV 14 has proven really tough. I generally keep mine empty and use it as Heavy Support. I plan to try using one as an Elite choice to save a HS choice. When I play, especially if you really think Astro-centric, using all your HS or EL is frowned upon but using one of each is considered good.

So yeah every list I make seems to have it. I may break that habit post Astro Vancouver, but I also make switch to painting something other than CSM or taking a long break from painting entirely. I mean it is 12:41 I should be in bed.

I've not personial use a Land Raider in my Iron Warriors since 2002. But one of my friend since the update of the codex been useing one loaded out with Khorne Bezerker, supported by a few other units in Rhinos (Bezerker & Undivided) & a Daemon Prince w/Lash. It dose the job & because of the new tank damnge rules he's rarely loss it through out the UKGT heat 1.

From what I seen as soon as the Land Raider got into the line's with the Bezerker, just slaughter pretty much everthing, then the Rhinos unit tide up, while Daemon Prince went to take on things the LR Bezerker unit could not take on.

I would like to add a Land Raider to my own army, maybe if I'm playing bigger games (1750pts or 2000pts).

IP

I use Rhinos over Land raiders as they don't stand out as much. I think to successfully use land raiders you need 2 or maybe even 3!

I got 2 LR. One is still in the box, hopefully it would be assembled for the next "tournament" (friendly) on the 30th.

I really wanna try 2x LR with 2 units of 10 zerkers in each.

The last game I played (vs deathwing) I used 1 LR and he got to last turn with only 1 weapon destroyed.

It was shot by LC pred + dreadnought with twin las + ML and a ven dred with MM + CC weapon. Not even the MM at short rsnge was able to destroy it.

well most of those are sub par or non spamed options . LR meta includs stuff like 6/7 man sternguard with combis , 2 ironclads ,2 termicid units[+oblits shoting from range] etc . IF someone thinks that a lascanon or two is good enough anti tank like it some people though in 4th [and they were wrong back then too . most anti tank came from spaming 4/5 lascanons and 6/8 AC in sm lists] , then they are building lists badlly.

:edit: forgot attack bikes.

kinda hard to spam things with the deathwing, expensive unites.

I just mentioned the stuff he shot at the LR.

He still had LS and wirlwinds as well as the terminators, but there again my LR wasn't my only unit on the table. =]

Archived