Master of the forge on bike

Hi all,

I've put this seperate from my main new army thread as I wanted it to get a bit of extra attention (hope thats ok). It's my most ambitious conversion project to date.

A master of the forge on a 'Mono Track', figured that theres no way he'd ride round on a regular bike.

The tech-marine is actually made from bits of three different tech-marines (was like a big astartes pick and mix!).

The bike is based on the panzer cycle from mercenaries 2 hence the tracks which are bit hard to see. Not sure how i'm going to use him in game just going for looks right now. Obviously a lot of work to do still, any comments advice or criticism are very welcome.

Especially with the tracs they loo a bit shabby at the minute, they're cut to fit landraider tracks, any ideas how to improve their looks?

My first complex conversion with metal minis!

Please imagine that the assault cannon is mirrored on the other side btw, just waiting for the bits from e-bay.

Heres the pictures,

gallery_44139_3380_457107.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_238525.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_207541.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1209972.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_850092.jpg

something more needs to be done with the tracks, they don't look right.

his back pack also seems largely out of place on the model. too big

totally agre with these points.

the tracks look odd and there's way too much stuff on the model, it just doesn't seem practical.

a while ago there was a techmarine on bike project in this section of the board, search for it, maybe tou can get some ideas out of it.

The track wouldn't work as it currently is as the bike would be impossible to steer. Bulldozer and tank tracks don't have a range of sideway motion they'd need in order to twist/bend to provide a change to the traction angle required for steering. Tanks steer by slowing or stoping one set of tracks while the opposing side keeps moving, thus turning the vehicle.

Half tracks and snow mobiles use the angle of the front wheel or ski to exert sideways push/pressure allowing the vehicle to steer. What I'd suggest is doing a half track styled bike, a big armored up wheel in the front and a track in the rear for additional stability and traction. Alternate ideas I've seen are bikes with an extra large rear tire, or trikes where the bike has 2 tires on the rear. Some people have even converted bikes into a 4 wheeled ATV looking bike or used an attack bike frame, converting the sidecar into either a gun platform or a base for the servo arm machinery.

IMO the bike looks a bit cluttered, I found a number of techmarine bikes online and he ones that look best IMO have a custom built servo harness attached to the bike rather than to the marine himself, then usually run sets of interface wires between the marine and the bike.

Here was my take on a bike mounted harness, not 100% done yet but it may help generate some ideas

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...57834&st=75

There's another thread somewhere in the WIP forum that has a master of forge on an attack bike with a thunderfire cannon side car. A little searching should pull it up, the rear on his bike has treads, although they are a bit long for my personal taste.

You might be able to come up with a good combination between an ork half track bike and transplanting marine parts to get rid of the orky factor.

It's obvious isn't it? He just digs a servo arm into the ground and pivots round that, havent you seen the new wolverine film? lol. I've made the track narrow enough so it could pass through the body of the bike, thats as far as I'm concerned feasibility wise. I've filled some of the big gaps around the tracks with rollers made from putty. Makes the whole thing look more robust and functional (i'm quite stubborn and love the idea it WILL work lol). Your right about the backpack it is a bit too big, but i love the version of body that i've used. So going to comprimise and have some cables running from the bike to the backpack. He's still wearing it but it'll be a bike only harness which should explain it's larger size. Makes sense as he's not standing he can manage the extra weight dismounted he'd be a bit slower and unwieldly though just like a knight in heavy armour. It would also give another fluff reason to take a bike. I know there is a lot going on as well but my thinking was that a MOTF would have the best technology available to the chapter and that he would take as much into battle as he could, machines are his weapon.

Heres the latest work, once the putty is hard i'll sculpt detail onto the rollers:

gallery_44139_3380_51060.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_315650.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Ok so not a great deal of love for the mono-track idea. Thats ok lol, i like it which is the main thing. Heres the latest pics after it's been based and a bit of paint added.

Advice and ideas for painting the tracks, adding to the base and how to make the bike's paint scheme feel 'techy' very much appreciated.

And any other advice or opinions also welcome,

heres the pics folks:

gallery_44139_3380_1193644.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_270296.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_1396619.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_693151.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_531950.jpg

gallery_44139_3380_155.jpg

Any more love now it's got some paint???

Your base and green armor look outstanding, but I would suggest painting alot of the metallic stuff in another color. From a distance, it looks like you just glued all that stuff on.

even a simple wash of either black or chestnut ink would make it less shiny.

Archived