disembarking from drop pods

Hey ive been working on a tactic inside my head, and i just wanted to check to see if it was right within the rules.

With rhinos if it didnt move you can disembark and assault on the same turn, so i was wondering if the same tactic could be used with drop pods.

i.e i had an assault squad inside and instead of deploying them on the turn they land, can they stay aboard until the start of the second turn and disembark and assault then?

This way you can ensure no small arms fire kill off your delicate guys and you can get in the charge yourself (im using Khan)

Thanks

GC08

If you check the codex (dont have mine with me) I am sure that it says units disembark immediately from a drop pod and cannot then embark. Assuming that this is correct we cannot hide ourselves in the open topped drop pod. Have a re-read of both the drop pod page and the drop assault section and I think you will find that I am correct.

Good try though, I am sure that early on I was trying this with my Dreadnought (a S3 hit if it explodes... oh no!)

Wan

• 3 weeks later...

would you really want to do this mate if you could? rather risky...

You drop in.. close to the enemy because thats what you want to do... assault... they assault you - auto hit... surround your pod - glance the crap out of it and then break your pod as you only have one weapon system to loose before it goes boom... and then... even if he doesnt blow up your pod, and if he surrounds you well enough, I dont think you can get out as you cant move to within 1' of an enemy and you cant move through models... if you cant get out, you cant assault because you cant assault when you are still embarked and when it does die, you cant get out, cant enact an emergency disembarkation (open topped so you couldnt do this anyway) and then your whole units is destroyed...

ouch...

yeah i get your point, though i guess there would be times when the option would be useful!

As the transport surrounding tactic, i did it against elder last night, he had a unit of dire avengers with bladestorm in a falcon and moved it 24" to be within striking distance of some of my snipers, instead of shooting i charged the thing and surrounded it with some crafy placement and killed it with krak grenades, i was hoping for 5 on the pen chart so the unit would die, instead i got a 6, i lost more men than he did to the S3 explosion and then he placed the unit where the tank used to be and they then went on to bladestrom the hell out of me :)

GC08

You drop in.. close to the enemy because thats what you want to do... assault... they assault you - auto hit... surround your pod - glance the crap out of it and then ...

Out of curiosity, does the drop pod count as having moved cruising speed (deep strike rules) or not having moved at all, being that it is immobile?

The drop pod will count as moving at cruising speed after deep striking, but it also counts as immobilized. The usual rules interpretation says that immobilized overrides the speed moved when attacking in close combat.

Archived