New Player to Chaos (Iron Warriors)

As a new player to chaos, I had a few questions before my Iron Warriors Grand Company gets underway.

1.)Which special weapons are preferred against MEQs? I naturally gravitate towards 2 melta guns but having 2 flamers in a rhino mounted squad was also suggested to me prior. I was wondering from you experiences which provide the “best” results for the points spent.

2.)Is the Reaper Auto cannon worth 25 points in an Iron Warriors force already loaded with Heavy Support? I love the look of the model but a few people have steered me towards the heavy flamer instead.

3.)Berserkers- This is the one cult troop I plan on fielding a squad of. In prior fluff, (Storm of Iron and others), the Iron Warriors had Berserkers in their force. So how do you as a player feel they should be painted? The answer to this question will be completely opinionated but I wanted some insight. I’ve seen them as World Eaters under command of a more powerful Warsmith and I’ve seen them painted as Iron Warriors with the Khorne Shoulder pad and Berserker Helm.

Thanks so much for your input in advance.

1: Both, use squads of double flamer and squads of double meltas. Flamers do good against there infantry while meltas do good against there vehicles too.

2: No never good. I like the looks too, but for gaming it sucks

3. No opinion

1: If you have the pts I would go with Plasma Gun. If you worry about battle hordes I would not, bog stanfard chaos marines do a lot of damnge in close combat. Also Plasma Gun give you that little extra range in term of specil weapons & when battle the like of small elite unit like Termies.

2: You might be better for the pts going Combi Weapon. If you went for the Heavy Flamer...why not go for a few combi Flamers as well & deep strike down.

3: Depend, ether red to show there fully follower of the Blood God. Or just have them as your normal Iron Warriors trooper but maybe with a red helmet or pad, also lot khorne icon.

For my own Bezerker I painted them red, but with metal IW pads. Best thing to do is to paint a few test models, for me I went red with mine not only for the fully follow of Khorne but to make the unit stand out a little bit.

IP

1) thats a good combo so long as those melta armed marines are in rhinos.

2) I personally find the autocannon to be very useful (it's won me games). its especialy useful against small units such as scouts, eldar guardians and firewarriors, its almost 2 garanteed wounds.

3) I'd not even buy the bezerker models personally and just use blood spllattered normal marine models and say they are iron warriors turned to khorne (as in storm of iron).

Well the weapon itselves is not even that bad, problem is its a bit wasted on termies as they need to be close for full effectiveness and then combis are a much better choice. If I only could take 2 on a plague marine squad instead. Its is just more a weapon for objective campers and that is not a role for termies... But even then it should be 15/20 points I say.

I have seen peole take small units of terminators with a reaper and a raider, just to get 3 raiders, 3 predators and a fair bit of rhino support with 2 special weapons in each squad and a havoc launcher on each vehicle. It was fun to watch and play against, but.. A heavy flamer really is the better choice for the cost and the effective range of most of their weapons. 12" is usually the best range and for being so cheap, and melee-capable (superior guns at 12") a heavy flamer only enhances that...

For MEQ though, its a hard pick. Melee is usually the best way since you get close and often. You get battle cannons, demolisher cannons, plasma gun units of outflank or cheaper heavy support variety. But in reality if you cover enough marines under a flame template, its similar to using a plasma gun. Its 10 pts cheaper, and if they are in cover it doesnt matter, and it wont stop you from assaulting like a plasma gun. Usually best inside of a rhino, and dont forget rhinos can have combi-weapons for the ability to run it near a tank for combi-melting or combi-flaming some unit after a tank shock. It works wonders, 1 combi on rhino, 1 combi on champ (not zerker champ) and 2 guns inside a unit of 10 marines (5 in chosen without combi champ or 4 in havoc unit with combi weapon champ) for a good 6 shots per unit elite/heavy. That could be a good 6 flamer templates, or 6 melta shots if you like such things.

Keep a powerfist in some units, you will face melee and cant always rely on kraks to take down dreadnoughts.

For army cosnsitancy, its best not to use spawns, possessed, or dreadnoughts until your experienced and find them useful for one reason or another. Everything else is worth using, even the special charaters (though some will disagree with special characters, most of them can wipe a unit by themselves unless faced with a powerfist, which most T4 characters fall short on).

Berzerkers can be painted iron-warrior like and have blood streaking down their armor everywhere. Thats how I find them very Siege-Breaker esque.

By the zerker box set, use some left over heads form you csm units, chop some of the bunny ears off, paint em in IW colours. I painted mine to have dried on gore on their armour and weapons, but thats just me.

Archived