Terminator Load-out

What are the wargear recommendations for a 5 man terminator squad in a land Raider?

I already know the opinion on the reaper, but there are a lot more options than the loyalist choices I’m used to.

Should a heavy flamer be included?

How many combi weapons do you usually use?

Does anyone use Icons on the terminators?

Finally, is one Chainfist and a powerfist sufficient for most marine opposition or is this usually overkill?

1- yes

2- in a 5 man LR squad, 2 maybe 3

3- I do not use icons on termi's, others might use IoCG or IoK, those to I "might" consider.

4- in 5 man squad I would to 1 CF and maybe a PF, certainly no more then that.

What are the wargear recommendations for a 5 man terminator squad in a land Raider?

I already know the opinion on the reaper, but there are a lot more options than the loyalist choices I’m used to.

Should a heavy flamer be included?

How many combi weapons do you usually use?

Does anyone use Icons on the terminators?

Finally, is one Chainfist and a powerfist sufficient for most marine opposition or is this usually overkill?

1) Give the squad the gear it needs to do the role u intended it for! IE if they are tank/Monstrous Creature killers give them meltas, If they are Troop killers LC all the way! I mix with 1 Chainfist w/hvy Flame & 4 LC's

2) Pair the combi weapon with a Chainfist or Powerfist, everyone else should have LC's if your going after troops

3) EAH! I have mixed feelings about icons. Khorne gives an extra 5 attacks for 30 points! Not that bad imo, but Eah. SO MANY POINTS, IoS might be bad ass against other space marines because then Ur LC's could attack before ur opponents. Term on term fight a IoS would be unbelievably useful.

4) Any option with the terms kills marines well.

I use in the LR term squad- "5m 3LC 1 Chain w/HF 1 champ w/LC - w/term Lord"all in w/ MoK

er, we can only fit 5 termies in our LR cant we?

If i were to run termies, would either be as termicide (2combi melta 1 heavy flamer), or in a 2000 point game as a 10man squad with icon (of something), combi weps, 2 reapers etc, made to look nice and threatening :D

have been tempted to run 5 termies with all champions, icon of khorne and twin lightning claws in a LR, but, dont think i ever will :(

er, we can only fit 5 termies in our LR cant we?

If i were to run termies, would either be as termicide (2combi melta 1 heavy flamer), or in a 2000 point game as a 10man squad with icon (of something), combi weps, 2 reapers etc, made to look nice and threatening :D

have been tempted to run 5 termies with all champions, icon of khorne and twin lightning claws in a LR, but, dont think i ever will :D

Yes, 5 in LR

If do termicide don't bother w/ hvy flamer, just 3 meltas. 10 man termi's with 2 reapers looks awesome, I swear I'm going to do it one day soon in a friendly game. If by "looks threatening" you mean it looks kool, then you are right, if you mean that you think it will actually threaten a good player (and make his make a mistake or pee his pants or something) then you are wrong. If you want to do it b/c it looks/is kool then I say go for it :D , but don't expect it to have any real effect on the game other then spending your points.

I think that running all champs w/ all LC's is a "not good player/inexperienced player" kinda unit. The kinda game where you say "I'm gonna run that goofy list I've been meaning to try b/c I know I'm gonna beat this guy no matter what I take".

Smaller unit, no regards of what the rest of the army may be like. Adding 1 or 2 fists (chain/regular) Icon of slaanesh is out of the window for 3 power-weapons. For khorne, it may be worthwhile. Icon of glory most likely for a smaller unit. If they are an assault unit out of a raider I say khorne icon. (High pts delivery system that usually works and they get the assault, IoK is very good). Icon of tzeentch or nurgle if your a believer in durabilty, but mostly people prefer offense to make up for those sort of lackings.

If they deep strike, its glory all the way for 5.

Heavy flamers are always worth it, but not always used/required if you rather use a combi plasma or combi melta. If you intend on one combi flamer, use the heavy flamer instead.

If its a type of termicide, heavy flamer is usually a good choice along with combi meltas, since if you hit enough with a HF, you have done enough damage already. Im a fan of 3 termies, 1 powerfist heavy flamer, 2 power weapon combi-melta termies at 115 pts.

Do people have success using terminators in a non-termicide fashion? Like could a heavy terminator list that mimicked Deathwing function on the table top?

2 Terminator lords, 3 units of terminators (2x 4 strong in landraiders with HQ attached, +1 whatever), and all obliterators. Troops blows, but you could use full squads of cheap CSM as 'cultists' or something.

2 Terminator lords, 3 units of terminators (2x 4 strong in landraiders with HQ attached, +1 whatever), and all obliterators. Troops blows, but you could use full squads of cheap CSM as 'cultists' or something.

Or Plague Marines.

I think if you were to run a terminator themed list your best bet would be 3 squads of 5 with very little equipment. Like limited to powerfist, icon, and combi weapons. Even naked wouldn't be bad. Remember that 5 terminators takes, on average, the same amount of firepower to kill as 10 marines. But for 10 marines to be useful, you need to spend about 250 points gearing them out, giving them a champion, and putting them in a rhino. Terminators are useful even naked due to the power weapons, and twin linked bolters arn't bad vs hordes for their price. 15 naked terminators is only 450 points, thats less than a 3rd of a 1500 pt list and will be a real pain to kill in most cases.

thats not true . you pay 250+pts to make csm useful [and scoring] to make 15 terminators useful[and still non scoring] you have to buy 3 LR , foot slogging wont work and deep strike is not an option for units that are not sacrificial , but the main force of an army .

Well, hey anyone can run with some troops inside rhinos and icons. (or bikes/raptors/MEQ HQ with icon etc) Move forward, and deep strike homer-in on the icon within 6", then run the terminators to spread out if shooting isnt a good option right then (a vindicator nearby, flamers of tzeentch within 18" etc).

Using 1 termie for every 2 marines is a compedetive choice. Heck even running a bunch of terminators behind a rhino advance is ok. I've even seen a raptor heavy nurgle list get a second turn assault and have not lost a terminator until close combat when he ran them forward.

Just need to put some sort of plan or two and go with what works after testing it out in some games...

Yes Jeske, i know. What is your point? >_>

Terminators are useful even naked due to the power weapon

Even naked wouldn't be bad

15 naked terminators is only 450 points, thats less than a 3rd of a 1500 pt list and will be a real pain to kill in most cases.

all three of those not true.

and as I said before I didnt mean tournament lists . tournament chaos has a fixed number of lists and non of them will ever run 15 termintors[with olr without LRs]. unless by casual or friendlly you mean taking everything no matter how much it sucks , then yeah [for me casual lists are lists that are not top tier , but still work like the NM water warrior list I play] . But when we take that point of view there is no lists , because its doesnt matter what you can take it doesnt matter.

Archived