Drop Pod deployment question

Zen

Hi

I played a Space Marine player at the weekend who was using Drop Pods. I am not a SM player and don't have the codex yet, and as such am not totally up to speed on their rules.

During the game he did something that seemed quite odd - he placed the Drop Pod (before scattering) on top of one of my units. He said that it was perfectly legal, so I didn't challenge him. But its been bugging me ever since, as I can't get it out of my head that this is wrong. I thought Drop Pods followed the rules for Deep Strike i.e. the first model must be placed on the table in a vaild position, before scattering. I know they don't mishap if they scatter onto a unit, it was the initial placement that riled me.

So, did they play it correctly or were they up to mischief?

Also, along similiar lines, if the Drop Pod is placed in difficult terrain and doesn't scatter, does it take a Dangerous Terrain test and thus leave it Immobilised, when it gets Immobilised on landing anyway?

Cheers

Its actually forced to move the minimum distance to not suffer a misshap.... even if that means going off the table. The ability is called "Inertial guidance system" and I dont believe theres anything in the BRB about having to try to deepstrike your units into a "safe" place, but dont quote me on that, I just know its generally not advisable for most units.

I dont have my codex with me so am not 100% sure but that doesnt sound legal to me. As you say, uou have to place your marker at least 1 inch from the enemy and then roll the scatter as per the DS rules.

I dont have my codex with me so am not 100% sure but that doesnt sound legal to me. As you say, uou have to place your marker at least 1 inch from the enemy and then roll the scatter as per the DS rules.

You have to try and place it in a legal location (ie 1" from your enemy). If it scatters over the enemy it reduces teh scatter to place it into a legal position. In your opponents case who dropped it on a squad, if he had rolled a hit he'd automaticaly mishap, and it would be impossible to reduce the scatter since taht would keep it on top. We had a major issue over this at a tournament a few months back.

You have to try and place it in a legal location (ie 1" from your enemy). If it scatters over the enemy it reduces teh scatter to place it into a legal position. In your opponents case who dropped it on a squad, if he had rolled a hit he'd automaticaly mishap, and it would be impossible to reduce the scatter since taht would keep it on top. We had a major issue over this at a tournament a few months back.

Exactly. Any attempt to avoid a mishap would increase the scatter. Not legal placement.

Actualy there is nothing in the rules that forces you to place the deapstriking unit in a "legal" place initialy, you are allowed to bet that you will scater to a legal spot. Though its generaly a bad idea because the inertal guidance system will not help (as it can only reduce scatter). So yeah he can place it there, but if he rolled a hit on scatter (or scattered in such a way that reduction could not avoid the illeagal final positioning) he would have to roll on the misshap table like anyone else.

Cheers all. If I had known about all this, I probably would have won the game (putting Pedro and is Sternguard buddies back into the warp would have been interesting :lol - he rolled a hit for scatter).

Its actually forced to move the minimum distance to not suffer a misshap.... even if that means going off the table.

Actually going off the table will cause mishap for droppods. They are only safe from scattering on Impassable terrain or Enemy Units.

On a related note (that of declaring the deapstrike on an enemy unit), Tyranid fast attack spore mines explode instead of misshaping (as per FAQ), and as such are one of the two posible (non assult) ways to directly attack an enemy locked in close combat (the other being a Vindicar).

You are required by the Deep Strike rules to place the model "on the table" where you want it to land. Placing such a model on top of other models is not ON the table.

You are effectively doing a Deep Strike deployment. The mishap table comes into play when they cannot be deployed because of landing off the table, impassable, other models, etc.

Therefore, if you cannot be deployed for those reasons, then you cannot place the model in such places when deploying.

Its actually forced to move the minimum distance to not suffer a misshap.... even if that means going off the table.

Actually going off the table will cause mishap for droppods. They are only safe from scattering on Impassable terrain or Enemy Units.

Noted, I see I didnt explain it very well but what I was trying to say was that if you had to reduce scatter to avoid the misshap and it took you off the table, and odd set of events to be sure, but Ive seen it done, youd still have to make the move... and go off the table, wich would cause you to suffer said misshap.

You are required by the Deep Strike rules to place the model "on the table" where you want it to land. Placing such a model on top of other models is not ON the table.

You are effectively doing a Deep Strike deployment. The mishap table comes into play when they cannot be deployed because of landing off the table, impassable, other models, etc.

Therefore, if you cannot be deployed for those reasons, then you cannot place the model in such places when deploying.

i concur, the rules state you place a model on the table then roll for scatter, if you can't place it it cant deepstrike thus no chosing to land on enemies

That situation is only possible if you deployed the deepstriking unit off table to begin with. Which isn't allowed in the first place.

Well my groups been playing alot of apocalypse lately, and the board we use for it is actually more like a boot shape really... and then theres a bridge, so weve had it happen. Specificly with a unit of boyz on the bridge... scattered 11" from table to bridge, hit the boyz, and reduced off into the abyss of the "lake" spent the next few hours getting the pressure to equalize and get out there... and then the battle was over.

Archived