Raptors Legion Space Marines

Hobbes

I painted this bugger today, been playing around with different ways to do the eyes for that yellowish green glow. After asking around a friend of mine (Thanks Justin!) reccommended Bad Moon Yellow, the color so Neon I've always hated it until now... Even gave me his pot of the stuff (If you're reading this, I owe you a beer!) Anyways, please let me know what you think, before I begin on the rest of the army...

gallery_5276_941_52566.jpg

I want to do something to dirty up the Grill (Osmotic-Gill) & possibly weather the intake/exhaust vents of the backpack as well... The intent is not to have it look like Nurgle... Would weathering the grill be too much?

-Hobbes

I think it looks great as it is, I don't think any rust is needed.

The Raptors are one of the cooler chapter out there and you've certainly made them justice.

Looks very nice. The eyes look green, but not too green that it blends in with the armour. Your use of metal on the helmet helps with that as well as the dark outline on the lens. Although maybe an extra layer of yellow will help make it stand out alittle more...unless you wanted a subtle difference. Freehand of the chapter symbol and tactile marking look nice too, especially with the weathering/battle damage. I don't thinking the extra weathering is necessary, but it could look nice if applied in a small amount.

Cheers, Messanger

Looks very nice. The eyes look green, but not too green that it blends in with the armour. Your use of metal on the helmet helps with that as well as the dark outline on the lens. Although maybe an extra layer of yellow will help make it stand out alittle more

Thanks MoD, that's exactly what I was going for with the eyes. The use of the metal does two things It is a very easy way of showing off the osmotic gills, Like they had that part of their helmet replaced recently... (Cheap way) of not converting them or using Red Scorpions Helmets... ;)

-Hobbes

I like it! Subtle yet effective paint scheme. There is a degree of realism I really like, in that I could actually see this being an real space marine army (distinctive enough to be memorable, but not so flashy it would get you shot)

Thanks, I was going for gritty weathered realism, which btw is a blast to paint!

I think the Raptors Logo turned out a little on the small side in comparison to the tactical arrow. Maybe take it a brush width higher next time. Someone suggested flipping the scheme and having a white shoulder pad with a green eagle. What that would do is make them look less like Nurgle marines and more regal, white being classical "good" color.

So next up will be another Test Scheme, this time for the Sergeant. And then possibly a few more, and maybe a Dreadnought/Rhino Test and then i will start finishing squad by squad and plowing through the army. ('Tis the plan at least <_< )

@ Vissah - The pictures really don't do them justice, Its been awhile since I took pics and I was experimenting with a new setup... The Eyes are GW Snot Green - Scorpion Green - Scorpion Green/Bad Moon Yellow - Bad Moon Yellow - Dot Skull White - Line Chaos Black - 'Ardcoat (not done yet). I played around with just Bad Moon Yellow, and Green-Golden-Sunburst, and Iyanden through White. but I needed a glowing green to show through the Yellow enough to allow the white highlight to stand out. White on top of yellow was pointless.

I'll take better pics of the next one..

Well, they don't look anything like my marines and I love them. :rolleyes:

I am a big fan of the weathered gritty look and I think you have pulled that off very well. I agree with you on the raptor symbol, it could be just a tad larger, but I don't think this one looks bad.

One thought I had regarding the white shoulder pads, you could either save them for vets/sternguard or just give them to your sgts/HQs...or you could just keep doing what you are doing, which is turning out very cool looking Raptors.

I'm looking forward to the next sample.

Cheers,

Thanx Hobbes for the recipe on the eyes Im still doubting what to do with mine.

Red is a bit to much for a Jungle Chapter but these look really nice, Im gonna give it a go for sure :D

Ok, so I lied.... I'm saving the Sergeant until after I complete the rest of the squad, that way I can see what the white will really look like against a squad as opposed to against a single Marine.

@ Honda, I'm thinking about accenting the top Helmet panel, seeing as every helmet has one (I will have no Beakies in the army) for Sergeants, and giving the Vets/Sternguard the Stripe & The White pad(s?) to show how much more elite they are. I appreciate the advice, haven't decided about kneepads either, but White & Black are my accent colors. But seperating the Greenpads & Whitepads will make a much more cohesive force in the end.

After completing the Test Marine, I mixed up some paints and tested them out on a batch of 3 marines. The Green here is not finished, but I mixed up some pots (labelled R1-R4) which makes it alot easier to get a consistent hue throughout the army. Learning a lesson from my SW army, I kept the mixes simple to allow for easy touch-ups before or after stages. The Raptors scheme looks killer with Desert Yellow mixed in... but if (read: WHEN) I run out, I want to keep the colors easy to replace. ^_^

med_gallery_5276_941_34156.jpg

I'll blast through these chaps next week, and hopefully be on to the sergeant shortly after....

-Hobbes

Nice sheme Hobbes (I mean, are you the Hobbes of auld rotating assaut canon legends and thnigs ?) !

The green eyes do not bring much to the mini IMHO, I mean they're are well done and thx fer the recipe too but its a bit "green on green" to me. A very light white/blue with the right varnish would give better results.

DS

Did you paint these when you were drunk or something?

:yes: Spence? (What it is!)

Yes, Sensei, the Spinning Assault Cannons were made way back in the day. Still got em! It's been awhile & it feels good to be back! I'll give blue & white a go and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion.. I was talking with a friend about making all their flamer tanks half empty to show their status as trapped on Jemadal. Also thinking about trying patches of blue/yellow showing through the "re-painted" armor....

I've got the day off tomorrow, and will hopefully knock these three out.

-Hobbes (Ev)

They are looking good. chapter badges needs to be larger as you know. not much to say until you tinker with the colors a little more. love the raptors though. Are you going to be using any particular army list? plans for the force?

Archived