TH / SS Termies

asur03

Over 9000! :D

I've just recently started using them, and I really like having 6 as compared to 5. It just seems that adding even just the 1 extra makes them significantly more mean.

Five for now, though I'm considering picking up either one more for Land Raider/Outflanking goodness, or just adding a Terminator armored Chaplain. It makes sense that a Chaplain would make the unit significantly more effective than one more Assault Terminator.

I run 5 in a LR with Vulcan... not that anyone hasnt seen it before hehe. The master crafted hammers from Vulcan is pretty sweet - makes it exciting since you get to roll each terminator separately (to make sure its fair)

I guess to be more specific I'm wondering if anyone's done the math on the least number of models necessary to efficiently kill a Land Raider or MC with 4+ wounds. I will be running a Chaplain with them.

I guess to be more specific I'm wondering if anyone's done the math on the least number of models necessary to efficiently kill a Land Raider or MC with 4+ wounds. I will be running a Chaplain with them.

A lot of it would depend on the biomorphs. 8 TH attacks with reroll to hit is enough to statisically kill (assuming 4 wounds) a WS6, T6, 6+ Invulnerable Hive Tyrant or a T7 Carnifex (just barely). That means you would have to get 3 surviving TH Termies into I1 combat if the bug doesn't have the -1A biomorph, or 4 if it does. To me, taking 6 would be on the safe side, as you could lose 2 before I1 and still know that the bug should go down. I didn't look at the Chappy attacks as they won't do much against an MC.

EDIT: Messed up the damage table by forgetting that THs only glance. Basically, you're not going to do much against a LR with THs.

I hope this math-hammer helped some.

Attacking land raiders, especially the ones that have moved previously, with th/ss termies isn't such an efficient way to destroy them. Unless you've already immobilized it/blasted half of its weapons off, it's unlikely you'll get enough glances to destroy it in a single game turn.

When it comes to LR wrecking, I rely on my meltas and lascannons. ;)

Best thing is to get someone like Vulkan with them, his couple of attacks at str 6 and I should help clear a few attacks back if you're against a group. If against a big bug 5 with lysander will be pretty tough

Personnally I wouldn't use a terminator squad at all for Land Raider hunting. Instead I would bring in as many Attack Bikes as the points allows and then use the terminator sqaud to attack what comes out. Even I know thunder hammers are not very reliable when up against armour 14 when relying on glances to do the job. Maybe a Charactor with Chainfist would increase your chances at success then more bodies could.

Personnally I wouldn't use a terminator squad at all for Land Raider hunting. Instead I would bring in as many Attack Bikes as the points allows and then use the terminator sqaud to attack what comes out. Even I know thunder hammers are not very reliable when up against armour 14 when relying on glances to do the job. Maybe a Charactor with Chainfist would increase your chances at success then more bodies could.

i'd agree that when it comes to tank hunting str 8+2d6 is substantially better than thunder hammers

Just done the math and even with 10 Thunderhammer Terminators attacking a static Landraider you are unlikely to kill it. Statistically you are only going to get 5 Glances which will not be sufficient to get enough imobilised and weapon destroyed results to wreck it.

Against a MC, it really depend what you are attacking and how it is tooled. I could run some numbers if you have some specifics.

Wan

Just done the math and even with 10 Thunderhammer Terminators attacking a static Landraider you are unlikely to kill it. Statistically you are only going to get 5 Glances which will not be sufficient to get enough imobilised and weapon destroyed results to wreck it.

Against a MC, it really depend what you are attacking and how it is tooled. I could run some numbers if you have some specifics.

Wan

For 100pts ish you can get an eversor that has a 31% chance to destroy a LR, thats not bad considering it infiltrates so first turn charge

For 100pts ish you can get an eversor that has a 31% chance to destroy a LR, thats not bad considering it infiltrates so first turn charge

In order to get an eversor you also need an inquisitor, so it's considerably more then 100 points there.

Also, an eversor cannot perform a first turn charge because Infiltrate means it has to be placed more then 18" away from an enemy unit. An eversor has no fleet special rule. Hence, it can't assault even with its 12" assault range.

18" is only if you deploy in line of sight. If outside line of sight, then it is 12". I had a genestealer brood with a Broodlord do that to me.

that's the one, and inquisitors can be a minimum of 20pts, although obviously running um in SM is alot harder than GK

Before this gets too off-topic, I'd like to put in that the number of Assault Terminators should be largely based on what sort of LR you're putting them in. Basically, a generic LR or LRR should have 5 + IC and if you're taking a LRC there's really no reason not to fill it with 7 + IC. Personally, I think the 6 + 2 IC is just playing into a smart (Killhammer educated) opponent's hands. Herohammer FTL. Besides, in terms of force multipliers 5-7 Termies with an IC should be all you need. I feel it's much more efficient to do x2 Termy squads with an IC each and 2 LR, especially from a Killhammer perspective. You get two high K units with solid D1 and D2, and the LR's themselves reduce Risk to their perspective squads compared to piling all of them into one uber unit.

for the ninja fex and the screamer killer (most common CC fex) 3 will be enouph on the charge with a chaplain, 4 on the charge without, 5 if you get charged, expect to lose about one termie in each. For a non CC fex (dakka fex, gunfex) you can get away with one less, and not worry so much about it as the chances of losing someone are very low.

Vs a standard godfex it will take 9 if you are charged, 6 if you charge and 5 if you charge with chaplain.

Worse case scenario fex (Crushing claws and lash whips, and all relivent biomorphs) it will take 17/9/6.

Note these are the amount needed to kill the fex in one round and do not take into consideration the fexes shooting ability (which is considerable in the case of the dakka fex and gunfex)

as a side note:

Is it worthy to go with one or two LC in the squad? or full TH+SS is the best way to go? Im a little scared of I1, and id like to have one or two termies attack first in order to be able to throw wounds at em so i dont lose attacks in case of a lousy save roll (of course, only wounds that can be avoided with the armor save)

yes it is worth it to mix assult terms. I prefer a 3/2 LC/TH mix, though most prefer 2/3. LC do more "damage" vs T4. and equal damage to T5 (though at a higher initive so they are still better offensivly). Also mixed units let you do sneaky things with wound allocation. And an initive difference can be HUGE.

18" is only if you deploy in line of sight. If outside line of sight, then it is 12". I had a genestealer brood with a Broodlord do that to me.
The Broodlord and Genestealers couldn't have done that - you need to Infiltrate OVER 12" away if out of LoS.

The Broodlord and Genestealers couldn't have done that - you need to Infiltrate OVER 12" away if out of LoS.

Move 6", Run d6", Assault 6"

Assuming your terrain and run rolls aren't awful

Broodlord doesn't have Fleet, therefore, they can't Run and Assault.

Broodlord doesn't have Fleet, therefore, they can't Run and Assault.

Right you are. My bad.

Archived