Silver Skulls Commander Argentius

I saw Doghouse's counts as Pedro Kantor for his War Dogs (link here) a while ago, and liked what I saw :) So, firstly credt where it is due, this is just taking a Doghouse idea and running with it.

I've generally been fiddling with doing my own counts as special characters, and as I have a fondness for combi-flamer/heavy flamer toting sternguard against orks Pedro was a must. Having two AoBR boxes I went halves on with a mate who wanted orks meant I had a spare commander, so I sat down with my bitz box and after a couple of hours ended up with the following...

gallery_27755_2641_2357.jpg

gallery_27755_2641_33146.jpg

gallery_27755_2641_5062.jpg

Still very WIP, need to greenstuff in the ammo feed for a start and then clean up mould lines etc. Used him against my mates orks where he personally did for 29 of them without ever using his powerfist, so sufficed to say I like him.

I'll name his counts as wargear/medals fully at some point, but for now I'll call Dorn's Arrow Dire Portent. I'll work on more names, but thinking of calling the skull thing on his waist/girdle the Star of Varsavia.

@Chapter Master Kanithon: Sure. It is basically the plastic dreadnought one that you can sling under the dreadnought close combat weapon (quite a few spare, I prefer the heavy flamers personally). However I cut the back part off and replaced it with the back end of two bolt pistols, as they where smaller and it just looked too large when unmodified. The ammo feed parts that are in plastic come from the same dreadnought storm bolter part (used two). The skull and wings on the side is one of the medallions/badges from the Commander box set. Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention the grip, that comes from the handles of the plastic heavy bolter ammo cases from the devastator box. I used two of the actual cases on his backpack where the ammo feed runs to.

@Chapter Master Kanithon/Kris: If you don't have a dreadnought one spare a plastic termie storm bolter bolter would probably do. If you do go with Silver Skulls GW sneaked in metal chapter symbol shoulder pads in late March, link is here

@Alienerd: I take it you mean from the AoBR Captain? If so it was easy with a pair of good clippers, I haven't even needed to use green stuff, just had to file some rough edges away. I have Xuron pro clippers that cut through steel without the teeth nicking, cost a bit more but they have lasted years and don't explode under stress at critical moments and chip your monitor like GW ones do. I was careful enough that I still have the captain's bolter with it's strap intact for another project, probably for a chapter honour guard. The sword that is left over is also so big I'll be using it as a relic blade on an honour guard as well.

@Darth Potato: The skulls are off the top of the plastic SM bike banner poles. I used the idea on my company banner bearer a while ago. I don't have any other backpack banners in the army apart from this one, so I decided to use the same idea to make it stand out a bit more, and to obviously tie in with skulls. Well spotted.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be doing some work on this slowly and prepare and paint it as best I can, it turned out better than I thought it would so it deserves it I guess. However I'm getting distracted by making a counts as Vulcan He'stan, renamed as High Prognosticator Maximillian Kolbe. In that "build mode" at the moment, can't stop tinkering long enough to paint something ;)

Archived