Bolters, bolt pistols, and close combat weapons

Sangneur

Hello again, Bolter-folk, I've finally got my models and am preparing to assemble my chaos boyz to do battle with some of my friends on the weeked, Emperor permitting of course. I went searching on the errata, codices, and finally forums several times a to see if I could finda thread pertaining to my questionator, but much to my vexation all I can find is discourse that bounces around it by making reference to rules that indirectly talk about my issue. So here I am with further need of guidance

My friends and I were talking about what equipment my Chaos space marines count as being equiped with, him being a previous Harwammer Vet. I decided it was plausible when he said the models carrying a bolter count as only being armed with a bolter, no chainsword or pistol. Granted he played Warhammer fantasy, so, he doesn't know all the nuances for 40k.

Sometime ago I was reading the Dark Angel errata in which reference is made to a heavy bolter equiped model firing a pistol for assault, which made me think a bit. Can model carry a bolter and/or two handed weapon and a pistol? Furthermore, I found a rule in a 3rd addition inquisition codex about models acarrying only two weapons.

So my questions to your infinite wisdoms are:

-Does a model count as being equiped with all the wargear in its entry? (CSM tot a ccw, bolter AND a bp all of which can be used in the same game?)

-Does this affect terminators differently?

-Can models only have as many weapons as they can carry?

-Do bolters count as two handed weapons?

-???

-Profit

Thanks in advance, and please forgive the textbrick for a small question, I can't seem to get a small posts outta me moind.

Models counts as whatever you and your opponent agrees to.

Usually, the principle of WYSIWYG puts som limits to this, but that is negotiable.

Terminators aren't exemt from WYSIWYG.

In modern codexes, there's no carrying limits on weapons. In older codexes, there tend to be a max 2 weapons rule in the wargear section.

Bolters are 2 handed.

My friends and I were talking about what equipment my Chaos space marines count as being equiped with, him being a previous Harwammer Vet. I decided it was plausible when he said the models carrying a bolter count as only being armed with a bolter, no chainsword or pistol. Granted he played Warhammer fantasy, so, he doesn't know all the nuances for 40k.

In the current Warhammer Edition WYSIWYG is even more liberal than in 40K. In WHFB, only the majority of the unit has to be equipped with the weapons the unit is supposed to have, while the rect can have different weapons in case you wanted to have more diverse models.

-Does a model count as being equiped with all the wargear in its entry? (CSM tot a ccw, bolter AND a bp all of which can be used in the same game?)

You have to use appropriate model, or buy the model the equipment it is carrying. There is no option to have Chaos Marines (disregarding Berserkers and Thousand Sons) with only a Boltgun or only BP/CCW, so every Chaos Marine in a unit automatically has those weapons, and there is no way the opponent could be surprised or confused by Chaos Marines having different weapons than he would expect looking at them. If they are CSM they have Boltgun and BP/CCW. Berserkers and Thousand Sons are the exception, but they too are easily recognisable.

Generally, smaller items like Grenades or Pistols do not neccessarily have to be represented on the model, though in the case of "special" Grenades or Pistols (i.e. Plasm Pistols) it would be better to have them on the model. The reason for WYSIWYG is so that the opponent does not assume that your models are armed in a certain way and then you surprise him by telling him they actually all have laser cannons and powerfists.

-Does this affect terminators differently?

Terminators come with Twin-Linked Boltgun and Powerweapon, and you should probably equip your models that way. If you upgrade some with powerfists or heavy weapons, tehy too should have the appropriate weapons.

-Can models only have as many weapons as they can carry?

Models can have as many weapons as their Codex allows them to have. Dark Angels ICs can have multiple weapons, while Codex Marine ICs can only have two. Chaos Marines usually have three weapons, as do Codex Honour Guard.

-Do bolters count as two handed weapons?

They once did. When there still was an armoury from which models could get two weapons. In more recent Codices there is no armoury anymore, now every unit or model entry has it's own list of options. Some Oprions are taken on top of other equipment the model has, some options replace previous equipment. Models now can have a Boltgun and whatever other weapon their options permit. The important thing is that a boltgun can not be used in close combat, so a boltgun and CCW will not grant the model an additional attack.

So does this mean a squad of my CSM troops (other than 1k sons and Berzerkers) could fire with a bolter one turn, then assualt with a pistol and CCW the next turn? Or does it simply mean they can be equiped with all the options?

It means your Chaos Space Marines have boltguns, bolt pistols, AND chainswords.

It means your Chaos Space Marines may choose to move up and rapid fire with their boltguns, receive the enemy's charge next turn, and fight with +1 attack for having two close combat weapons.

It means your Chaos Space Marines may choose to move up and fire their bolt pistols, then charge the enemy and receive +1 attack for having two close combat weapons and +1 attack for charging.

Archived