Blood Angels Captain

Hi there, I thought I would throw up some WIPs of my Blood Angels captain on here because I need advice/pointers etc.

This is the first time I have tried weathering and would like to know how I can improve on it. Have I gone overboard with some of the scratches on the armour? (I'm not to happy with the massive scratch on the right greave). And what colours do you use for dust and dirt? Should I remove the scratch across the chapter symbol? I'm still trying to bring the red up some more so the orange highlights will be brought down a touch and, well, he's still very much WIP.

Any help from this esteemed board would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Rob

gallery_25147_957_146826.jpg

gallery_25147_957_133680.jpg

gallery_25147_957_81450.jpg

Actually I quite like it, the weathering doesn't look too overboard IMHO. Looks kinda "I've been kicking ass for the best part of the millenium." The red looks good as well - is that done over black or white primer?

Ekkanus

Thanks. It's done over a black primer with mechrite red as a base red. I want to make it a bit brighter as the rest of my force a bright red so I'm trying to keep them similar. I gotta be honest I never know where to place scratches that aren't on the edges on the armour.

This might sound really daft or really simple - I don't do weathering as yet, but its something i'm looking into starting - however for inspiration on how bullets "bounce" off of power armour, I usually just read some of the Black Library novels with Space Marines in it, and read the descriptions they give - I think some of the Horus Heresy novels have a lot of really good descriptions of scorch marks, etc but it has been a wee while since I read them so I might be wrong!

Ekkanus

Just think where the armour is going to take the most punishment, he is likley to have scratches on his knees and elbows, the edges of his feet, anywhere that is likley to bump into things or chip paint off. Bullets are most likley to hit on the side exposed to the enemy, in the case of this guy his left side is the gun hand and its a single handed pistol, so that side is most likley to be exposed unless hes in hand to hand in which case its anywhere and everywhere.

I think you habve the weathering just right. The dust depends on how you are basing him, I prefere city fight so most of my minis have codex grey-white dust on their greves really really lightly drybrushed, Id use scorched brown followed by bleached bone for desert and mud but if i were you grab some test minis and try out a few as brown mjight not show up very well on red.

Hey cheers for the advice. I worked on him a bit last night and added a bit more chipping and scratches to the shoulder guards. I'll give the schroched brown / bleached bone a try to and let you know how it turned out. Also I painted the right kneepad red and gave that some damage it seemed off not having any battle damage on the knee pads. I'll post some pics up later on tonight.

Archived