=][= Scale Dreadie

KiwiBoy

Before I start:

All IP is property of Gameworkshop, Yadda yadda.

No permission was granted by GW to produce this model, and so on.

This is in no way a professionaly made model and is not going to be a commercial enterprise, This is being made for the love of the hobby.

No, I won't make and sell these when they are finished. (A few "gifts" may be given made and given to people in the community that I know)

That should cover me. On with the show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me introduce the project. Not so long ago I had a grand dream, a dream of one day owning an inquistior scale dreadnaught. But I got busy and bogged down by many things. But with my continued study of material processing and design and training in said same area I have gained more skills and gained access to technology I have only heard of in passing long ago in tales. And then I was reminded of my old friend I had partialy carved from balsa, sitting there on my shelf gathering dust.

So I have decided to do away with the little shoddy looking carved balsa wood progress I had made on this boy and try something different and way more advanced (now that I have the Mad Skillz and access to the machines) and beleive me this boy will looks better than my balsa wood version ever did. I was never good at sculpting, but I found something I was reasonably good at.

I present to you the first peice of work on my brand new inquisitor scale dreadnaught....

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/f52351d46982e0303c9240f7b0cb1519363a31d.jpg

I know it just looks like a drawing but it is actualy a 3D model, shelled out and flow optimised.

I'm now working on the other parts of the model before going back over each peice to do more detailing.

The plan is - When this puppy is finished - he'll will be "printed" out in plastic in a series of parts (you can see the split line between the front and back halves) using wizz-bango techy machines I have gained access to (technology is cool isn't it). Then a mold will be made in rubber....and then casted up a non-porous version to be assembled (The casting is only to produce full strength finished components and is not intended to be used for production runs) and I'll have him painted up by someone more talented in that area than me, in return for one of their very own.

Note this is the Venerable Dread version (Inspired by some of the forge world stuff), but there is also a version of this model with the more traditional "sloped" centre area. He's going to be big, about as tall as a 335ml coke can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the questions I want to pose to people are.....

1)What chapter?

2)How should I decorate him? Should I keep the "sheilds" or go another route?

3)Is there anything you'd change?

Well this guy is about 75mm from top to bottom of the body, and his legs should add about that again (maybe around 70mm). Which seems about right for height-wise dont you think? A marine standing about hip height to a dread looks right from the pics (I have none on me as I played elder)

This sounds like an amazing idea, INQ doesnt get the attention it deserves anymore, and 145 mm souds about right size-wise, looking forward to seeing more of it

@midas: what would you use a 15cm high dreadnought for in 40k?

This is coming out so far to be like two and a half times the height of a normal dreadnaught (55mm).

140mm tall..... I suppose I could use him as a titan. But the smallest FW titan is 250mm.

The problem I have is that even though I am not producing a product that replaces any product they make, if GW takes exception to me selling these (even to recoup my costs) they could already find many things in their copywrite write up to take exception too:

"Casting: Do not cast any materials that are based upon Games Workshop material. Games Workshop has to maintain a strict policy on this to fight counterfeiters. We would also remind you that reproduction for personal use is NOT an automatic exclusion in respect of copyright protection in many territories worldwide."

I'll be casting it once it is printed to make full strength non-porous models. It's made entirely by me but it is based upon Games Workshop material. So they could get up in arms.

"Special Figures: If you have a web site or gaming club and you want to create something special for that club, it will have to be handmade. You cannot pay third parties to produce any materials using our intellectual property, and "using" is very broadly defined. Also, you should not make a production run of such materials."

The company who's machine I'll be using to print the porous stage 1 model could be classed as a 3rd party, which they could take exception too.

If I could pass this off as a "generic model" it would be fine but you can tell its a dreadnaught just by looking at it.

Well, you could have the company in question make something with the general dimensions you need, then just Dremel the ever-living hell out of the thing, so as to not worry regarding the ire of the High Lords of Litigation. Plus, you're not selling it, you're only making one, and (if I'm reading you correctly), you're making something that GW has never made...ever. If you were molding, say, your own custom Space Marine, then I could understand where the fear of the lawsuit would come from, given that FW already sells them, but an =I= scale Dread? Do they even have the rules for that in the book?

If Games Workshop was upset with someone 'scratch-building' a Dreadnought out of a non-descript mold, then Emperor-on-high, I'm sure their brains would hemorrhage in sheer rage regarding the Lego-made Warhound instructions on this board.

Go for it, we will love you for it.

I wanted to print it almost fully detailed as I'm alot better at CAD than sculpting. Plus I like the coolness of saying that I printed it out

My response was to War Angel who I think was implying that I could sell copies to recoup my cost, but that could be interprated as comercial gain from their IP (Which they are against even if they dont loose revinue and even if I dont actualy make a profit). So I cant sell them.

And yes you are reading correctly its something that they have not made before, So it doesn't fall under their "no direct copies" thing. There's not even rules.

A few additional copies may be made and gifted to the manager of the local GW shop for display purposes.

Uh, but....Um, No thats no what I was saying...you'd still have to buy a normal dreadnaught...this is inquisitor scale...they dont sell these... They wouldn't be annoy'd because I'm making 40k scale models they'd be annoy'd because its a model using their IP...you know what never mind, forget I said anything...

End point: Not selling them, unless Forge World wants to give me a job once it's finished (I hear they and GW are using a similar process to make alot of their new plastic vehicles which is why they can churn them out so quick recently correct me if I'm wrong).

Update on this in a bit uploading photos now.

Did a little work on the "Groin" section today (Hehehehe that sounds dirty).

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/49a35bd1606de8773504458cbfd6c3dd706cf9f.JPG

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/8c925c3624e1d3e3458bcdc8888df9a1d064e43.JPG

As you can see I decided to have Ball joints on the waist and hips to allow some pose ability, Will have ball joints on the ankles and DCCW's too when I get to them.

Hi there, excellent project and one i'm very interested in.

reason being i'm also a 3d modeller, but my background is in game development, and i don't recognise that package, i'm assuming it's one designed to work optimally with the 3d printer? or just a cad [ackage i've no experience of.

i'm used to max and maya, and have often thought about 3d-printing small things for conversions, elaborate weapons, bodies with other symbols than the aquilla etc etc, but i dont have acess to one.

i've a couple of questions for ya, one of which might help you out -

how good are the printers are surface detail?

would that package you are using be compatible with a model that's been fettled with using mudbox or zbrush?

if you arent familiar, those two packages allow the use of brushes to creates tunning amounts of surface detail, scratches, decals etc, without painstaking digital sculpting.

last question, is this a laser resin printer or more of a CAM carver/lathe?

also, good luck!

First off, let me say this looks like a pretty flippin' awesome idea. I really hope you can pull it off.

I'm assuming from your name you're a Kiwi then? Where abouts did you study? I have a couple of mates doing some similar stuff (not building kickass minis though unfortunately) at Massey in Palmerston North.

@Cathar the Great: Realy cause by the model I'm holding the "Groin" box is as wide as the middle part of the body which is what I used for Scale. Maybe it will look less weird once his legs are on. What do others think?

@ Logemaru: Up in Auckland, the big smoke.

@ Karitas: I'll adress your questions point by point.

WARNING: THIS WONT MAKE SENSE TO THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE

The CAD package I'm using is Solidworks. It's a common engineering package that has a whole bunch of engineering analysis add ons for modeling stresses, strains, fluid flow etc (which I am not using for this project) but with very limited rendering functions added into it. Its a Parametric feature based modeling package (if that means anything to you) in which you can create your model from a series of geometric shapes (as I have done) or from defining surfaces by defining boundry curves. Its nothing special, ignoring the analysis packages, its just like a regular 3d modeling program.

The important thing is the file format in which you can save/export from your modeling program. If you can export in STL, VRML2/97, COLLADA or X3D you should be sorted. Once you have the export file in one of these formats the control/postprocessing prog for the printer will do most of the rest.

I'm not sure if the package I'm using is compatable with Zbrush or Mudbox but I have heard that Zbrush has been used with models that have then been printed.

The machine I will be using is one of the many forms of 3d printers (FMD, SLS or Stereolithographic), most likly it will be a SLS 3D printer (which is one of the 2 methods that could be called a "laser resin printer"). SLS shoots a laser at a layer of powered material and fuses it together then adds another layer and shoots that with the laser. These layers are 0.1mm thick so anything smaller than that wont come out.

thanks for that, makes much sense :P

i've not used solidworks, it's interesting to see the differences as the packages i use are suaully for art/game/design purposes, rather than manufacturing.

i think the zbrush method envolves exporting as say .3ds from max, fettling it in zbrush then putting it back in max and exporting from there as x3d, which i think should work. i'll maybe have a go later as it would allow some awesome stuff to be done, and frankly i cant see how FW/GW do what they do without a tool like zbrush.

now all i have to do is persuade my college to buy a 3d printer :)

as to the scale of your "groin" the object itself looks right to me, on the dread i have here it hangs a little lower thanks for a couple of bolt/strut details, and the arms that will hold the legs extend further than on your model, but my model isnt a ven so the proportions are likely different.

best thing you could do is what i do when modelling (if the package supports it) - take orthographic photos side, front etc and mount them on planes within the pakcage, then model to that. if your package wotn support it, use photoshop with a still image of the object andf a front screenshot, overlay them and see what's out.

of course being an engineer, you could measure :) but my brain dosent work like that, and wierdly it's often better by "eye" especially when scaling up.

:)

I've concluded that his body is too tall. Looking at the scale of a plastic dread, The middle portion of the body on a 40k scale dread is 2.5-2.6 times the width. Mine is currently more than 3 times taller than wide. So tomorrow he gets a shortening.....only by 5-10mm or so.....but a 130mm dread is still going to be impressive.

The leg "struts" I didn't have a reference for....but yeah they're going to be longer.

Oh and as for having to buy a 3d Printer, your in the UK I'll PM you a little something that may make your day.

Archived