=][= Scale Dreadie

KiwiBoy

Update:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/99615c61e83047b8b22de3423e65e73ba39c075.JPG

Height:

He's 115mm tall now from top of body to the bottom of the plate that of his ankle balls are on, at the moment when he's standing like in the pic. Probably close to 120mm to the bottom of the ankle balls. The feet should add another 5mm, And some mods to the lower leg bits and the waist (longer leg bits by 5mm each, less waist by 5mm) will add in total maybe another 5mm, bringing him to 130mm. But probably only 125mm when his legs are wider apart (how they usualy stand). Means he'll be shorter than the first prediction by 15mm or so, still pretty big though. Still only 5mm shy of twice the =][= Scale marine, who is a big chunk of impressive as is.

Body Work:

The body has been shelled out more so that he's 3mm thick in most of the main body instead of 5mm (which should cut down the printing costs as they are by volume of material printed). Also changed the main body height (reduced it by 10mm) to get proportions right, I'm alot happier with how he looks now, he looks wider and not so skinny. Also added an armour plate that the front (although it and maybe the curve on the bottom of the chest are too curved right now which needs to be changed to a bigger radius). Still have to do recesses on the bottom of his side panels for the "Do-Hicky's"

Legs and Groin:

Still got to do the leg armour and the groin plate. And fix the clearance on the "Knee joints" which right now have no clearance between parts, need to fix that and give a little clearance (Diameters of balls and sockets differ by 0.5mm at the moment just to make sure the sockets are slightly larger when printed so that they will definatly fit). The leg struts and groin look alot better now with the legs on so I didn't change anything about that part today.

Future work and Musings:

Hope to have only the Arms left to do by the next semester. Man I should have started with an Ork Dread.....at least when they are out of proportion they look MORE right. :)

I'm pretty sure they are the right proportions. Once the plates are on they'll look a whole lot bulkier.

And maybe if another twenty people tell you they look too small, you'll believe them :wallbash:

Your project is really cool and we all want to help you so it becomes even better! Don't be too analytical about the whole thing. You might have made it exactly right with the proportions you have calculated, but it might still not LOOK quite right.

Being at a bigger scale could mean that the standard 28mm proportions don't fit well anymore.

@GrimFoe: Solidworks

@Cathar the Great:

Being at a bigger scale could mean that the standard 28mm proportions don't fit well anymore.

Yeah I have kept that in mind. I'm also working off art work. But to me they look pretty good so far.

The fact is that the Dreadnaughts legs are quite small in relation to its torso. If they are too long I think it looks too tall and unstable, Better to be lower but not too low.

Once I get the leg plates on I'll likely re-assess it and see how it looks (great thing about CAD is if its not right you can change it with it only costing time)

Personaly I'm more worried less about the legs length more about the size of his feet, if I make those to scale he'll probably fall over unless I put him on a base of some kind. So they'll have to be bigger or I'll have to base him.

@HIMSA: Yeah the wider stance will be used when he's assembled (remember this guy is being built in peices and the legs are seperate peices).....his legs were just put on up right to get the max height he could stand (plus its alot easier to measure from 2 parallel planes)

Sorry for the lack of Prog recently but

Just a quick shot of some place holder leg armour.....

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/9fc25e16c1eb238545ab2c2ad2112fb9ceafd89.JPG

These arn't final I'm not too wild about the shape but just gives you an idea of the size they'll be. They'll probably actualy be slightly less wide when I finish.

So was I right? or do they still look too small?

Yeah they're not....but thats just an assembly to give you kinda the idea of what it will look like, so they dont have to be straight....The legs and groin are actualy seperate peices from the body....heck the body is 2 peices (soon to be 3)....I'm making this boy in parts so that I can build him in any pose I want (getting the pose right and dynamic is hard on the computer) and so he's easier to cast (see previous posts about me NOT SELLING THEM)

Archived