Tyranic War Veteran

TheDarker

I can imagine the effort and time that went into this, well done.

I think that the reason that the legs look static is that the feet are pointing straight ahead. Naturally most people's feet turn slightly so that the toes are pointed outwards and the feet form a "v" shape when we stand at rest. Also, in full extension of the leg the upper and lower surfaces of the knee joint rotate slightly relative to each other to "lock" when we're standing upright and immobile. When we are more relaxed the knees are slightly flexed and not locked so that we can initiate walking more easily and quickly. The legs look a little short relative to the length of his torso, and I also think that the head is slightly too high up relative to the shoulders and torso: that marine must have a hell of a long neck!

While the proportions of marines are obviously not those of normal humans, and GW exaggerates certain aspects for dramatic effect and ease of painting, if you ignore anatomy your figures will look "wrong" to the observer. I'd recommend sketching a friend or yourself in a mirror to get a natural posture. When we lift something up in one hand the rest of the body shifts to compensate for the imbalance in weight, for example. Likewise, the way the left hand is holding the knife seems unnatural in terms of where the centre of gravity it located: either the pommel is really heavy and outweights the knife blade, or the marine is flexing his wrist against the weight of the blade to push it up in the air. That's fine if he's in combat, but seems odd if he's relaxed.

It may not seem to matter if you're sculpting a figure in armour, but an unnatural posture and proportions detracts from the overall work. You end up letting yourself down because the observer is distracted from all the detail you've put into the surface.

How did you go about making this scuplture? Did you make up an armature/wire skeleton first to get the overall shape and posture, then build up the figure? Or did you make each element of legs, arm, torso etc separately and then assemble them together at the end?

Please take this as constructive criticism, which is the spirit in which it is intended. You clearly have an eye for detail and skill for fine work. The scar on the face is nicely done. A friend of mine is a comic book artist who has been trying to get into the industry for ages. From what he tells me, many many artists have had to work hard on anatomy and overall composition. It makes a huge difference.

DS, i agree with nearly everything you say. And don´t worry, i know that congratulation-posts are great and encourage you to do more works, but i also know that critics like you make future works BETTER, and this is even more important.

Now on topic: You´re right about the feets. It has a reason, it´s better for the... uh... STC, and also (and answering to other question) i worked on a generic legs and torso that i have, so i was a bit "limited". Also, in the picture he has his feet pointing straight ahead so i tryed to sculpt them in that position (but i know that his left leg is in a more "relaxed" position, and this compensates his feets so... my fault :D :lol: ). The size of his legs are correct (i think) and his neck... well, the "collar" can give a wrong image, because i sculpted the head looking at a Master of the Chapter one (and they have a long neck). But it´s true that the overal looking is strange. Well, it´s something easy to repair B)

The blade has the same reason that other things... in the picture seems to be in that position (again, because i made it in a separate piece, i could "fix" that) but i really thing that you can grab a knife in that position with easy... but that´s my opinion.

So.. thanks for your comment, i read it with much interest, thanks!! ^_^

Very nice sculpt you have there TheDarker. It scales up very nicely with the other models, making the detail all the more incredible!

Death Spectre has some good points on the anatomy issues so no need to voice those; as a 3-4th sculpt I think you are well on your way to more marvelous work! Keep it up!

ever tried to do a daemon or chaos marine

No, i´m loyalist!!! (well, i have ideas for WHFB daemons...who are the same than 40k ones XD) and have made generic SM pieces that were used in chaos marines... i´m like any other techmarine (at least a techmarine who had been robbed XD)

There's not much to say that hasn't already been said, the detail is amazing especially for your 4th model, the legs may look a bit too long and the head may sit a bit too high, but as far as your actual sculpting and detailing goes it's very hard to fault. I think part of the problem with the legs is that SM legs are out of proportion anyway, if you look at the limited edition sergeant (got mine on my desk) if he had both legs like the left one he would look out of scale too. I would also love to see a model that is entirely you're own work, rather than recreating an image, I for one would love to see a totally custom marine with that level of detail.

A slight aside, several people have already mentioned working for GW, last year I met someone from the Eavy Metal team, and they had brought along their greens from their training and what they had recently been working on. The only thing about his models that topped yours is that he worked from an armature and had strict guidelines to keep it to scale, the detailing wasn't nearly as intricate as yours and your face looks far better than theirs did. I spose I've done enough sucking up, but your sculpting is definitely on a par with Eavy Metal, and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

@The Darker

Thanks for clarifying things. I'm not familiar with the original artwork you used as reference material. Kudos to you for setting yourself the challenge of replicating someone else's artwork in a different medium, it isn't easy as what looks impressive in one medium doesn't always work in another. In trying to replicate someone else's artwork you're really pushing yourself and your skills.

I'm glad I didn't offend. It takes courage to display your work to complete strangers on the net and ask for advice, and I have a lot of respect for people that do, so I really thought hard before writing comments.

Do you intend to paint the miniature? I've been looking at trying my hand at some minor coversion work and I'm trying to work out how much surface detail to sculpt into my GS. For chapter badges, and "bling" for captains and veterans etc. It looks like a lot of the GW miniatures have really pronounced/emphasised surface details, and I presume that's so that the contours don't get obscured by thick layers of paint and make it hard to highlight. I'm trying to be guided by the level of depth on the sculpted details of the plastics. The older miniatures also seem to have more pronounced contours compared to newer miniatures e.g. Pedro Kantor. If you do decide to paint the mini it'd be great to see some WIP shots so that the level of surface detail that is maintained can be seen.

Thanks for sharing your work, looking forward to seeing your next project (hint, hint!).

All you have to do for the legs is turn the left foot (looking at the model) 10 degrees left and move his right leg out to the right a bit and have that foot from there stick straight out. I feel really bad saying this however because you're sculpting skills are EPIC.

Do you intend to paint the miniature? I've been looking at trying my hand at some minor coversion work and I'm trying to work out how much surface detail to sculpt into my GS. For chapter badges, and "bling" for captains and veterans etc. It looks like a lot of the GW miniatures have really pronounced/emphasised surface details, and I presume that's so that the contours don't get obscured by thick layers of paint and make it hard to highlight. I'm trying to be guided by the level of depth on the sculpted details of the plastics. The older miniatures also seem to have more pronounced contours compared to newer miniatures e.g. Pedro Kantor. If you do decide to paint the mini it'd be great to see some WIP shots so that the level of surface detail that is maintained can be seen.

Thanks for sharing your work, looking forward to seeing your next project (hint, hint!).

So much proyects, so few time... :D

Yes, i´m gonna paint the mini.. well, maybe not THIS mini but... ah, long history... I wil post images of the work. But talking about details... you have to maintain a bit of equilibrium. A lot of details, less to highlight, few details, boring. Also, about older minis... well, molding techniques has changed a lot, and this can have influence in the "form" and the details of the minis (older marines nearly don´t have details except for captains and similars, new marines have a lot... I know that this mini will be hard to highlight in several parts but... well, the trick is highlight the DETAILS (like his belt or similars) so the final effect is good-looking.

Or that is my intention :)

Thanks to everyone!

thats amazing! i agree with what nearly everyone else is sayin about the legs, but also, his head seems kinda large. dont know if its just me! im not sure if its that he has a large head or the position f the shoulder pads arnt right. its great looking, but something just isnt sitting right about the top 3/4s of the model.

The head is correct (i used one of the Masters of the Chapter as reference) Maybe is the hair, that gives the impression of big head, but believe me it´s ok (i´m gonna give as many space marines as i can some sort of hair. I´m tired of bald men screaming XD)

I think the head is too big, and as it is a primary focal point of the model it makes the entire thing look overly big, which a lot of people have already commented on.

Scaling the head down and lowering it (so that his chin is behind the neck gorget, ala your Black Reach captain) would go a long way to making the entire model appear more "correct scale".

To say I am very impressed with this piece is an quite an understatement. You conveyed the essence of the image from which you drew inspiration with a great degree of fluency.

I was curious if you could impart some of the secrets of your skill in the form of greenstuff tutorials; I'm quite sure most of us could learn a great deal from you. :lol:

Once again, excellent work.

in the form of greenstuff tutorials;

Well, the main ingredient is patience... and an obsession with the details... but if you want something specific, just ask (and tell where i can post the "tuto"...)

PD: I think i´m gonna have to take comparative photos with my head and one normal... i compared it with te AoBR captain and yes, it´s a bit "wider", but similar in longitude... In the other hand, you can "put" this head in a normal helmet so... ah, maybe is the hair ;D)

I don't collect or game with Ultras, but if this model was produced, I would buy it. I would scour the internet for the best price for it and I'd buy it, tomorrow. Why? becuase it is a mini that'd be a challenge and a joy to paint, and if pulled off correctly would make more people want to buy it. I'd maybe convert him slightly, not to say that your work is not great already, but to make him my own. This is one of those mini's that looks you in the eye and say "come and 'ave a go if you think you're 'ard enough!" and I honestly love mini's like that, they're the one's you put on your display shelf and glance at every so often thinking 'I did that' with a smug look on your face.

Ok so you might not've got everything exactly like it's shown in the picture but it doesn't really matter because the picture was inspiration it did it's job. I know you're probably tired of hearing about his legs, but I have to say that I like them. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to come up with poses involving straight legs on marines just because they're so few and far between. Seriously though this mini is amazing. Major Kudos to you sir, and may the sculpting gods continue to smile upon you :woot:.

Incidentally do you have pictures of the other mini's you've sculpted?

James

Long Post, long answer.

I agree with you, there are some minis that become even more interesting with a good paint on them. Also, the best part of being a painter (and a sculptor) is making a miniature your own. Why do you sculpt things? money? Hope not. Just to do it, to see if you can? Well, it´s a possibility. But (at least my) the main reason should be: "hope i do a work that a lot of people wants, and let´s see what they can do with it". You convert it? No problem, let´s see what you can. You paint it? Everyone knows that the same mini painted with two painters can become two completely different masterworks. And this is GOOD for me.

I have some mini-proyect involving this little fella, i will show it in time (hope it receive also good comments!!). I also become tired of marines with their common stances and made legs in a firms!!! position (that i used for this marine). Now i can see that they are not completely perfect, but they are good enought for me and they give a marine a BIG stature... perfect for sergeanst (or even a diorama... i´m thinking on the picture of the Ultramarines chapter.. the one with the chaplain walking and marines as far as you can see). All of my sculpts are directed to one objective: not having two marines equal (considering different two marines with different helmet). And now i can do... well... let´s say a lot....

About other minis... sorry but they are not power-armoured. But i´m trying to paint some of my custom pieces to show here. Hope one year... <_< :lol:

Oh, and PM´s answers sended... Or at least i think that i answer them... if someone writed me and didn´t receive an answer is just because... i´m stupid and did it wrong :lol: -_-

Thanks to all!!!

dont worry about the bad c&c, as you say it is just for making other projects look better.

Well, "bad" is an ambiguous term... thinks like "i don´t like it" or "it´s an ultramarine, blagh" are bad (and badly a comment, in my opinion...) while "i think the X is wrong because of Y and Z" are the more useful comments that you can give (if they are correct, sometimes you think something is wrong because YOU think it´s wrong, not because IS wrong). I mean... every comment of the second type is useful because you can see what was wrong and why. Comments of the first type only serves to... well, nothing

Of course, good c&c also helps a lot :mellow:

Archived