Tyranic War Veteran

TheDarker

Dude, you're great with green stuff. now, I'm gonna cut to the chase right away; the pose is way too static, and the head is a bit too "high up". as in, the head should be a bit more set into the torso, to make the armour look thicker. right now he is a tiny bit disproportionate. it can be that the legs are too small. i dunno.

now, mind you that is just me being a perfectionist, it's not important at all. However, the legs are WAY too static. Instead of simply telling you that they need some movement, I'll give an example. The feet needs to be more relaxed, like in michelangelo's david. maybe slightly less relaxed. Link to google search results for david.

Yes, david is nude, so no direct links, infear of some mods going bat:cuss. look at his stance; it's a thing I learned in art class. Make the person you're sculpting or painting relax one foot opposite of his relaxed arm. so, left arm hangs relaxed to his right, or in this case, holding a knife, and the right leg is also slightly relaxed. this makes the pose go alive. Now, it's pretty much impossible to do with miniatures, or atleast guys in power weapons, but you can get the same effect by either making him step up slightly, like on a really tiny rock, or anything that makes him appear to put his weight on his leg opposite of his raised arm.

so, in this case, he has his right arm raised, and left arm holding a knife, hanging relaxed at his side. So, to make him look alive and relaxed, have him lean on his left leg, and create either some sort of angle or anything on his right leg.

hope it helps a bit, even though it might sound messy. having a hard time explaining in english.

BTW, did i mention that your green stuff work rocks?

It's gorgeous. Very faithful to the source material, and really shows an eye for detail. I for one nearly built the 3rd Co. of Ultras on this pic and army list entry alone in 4th. Only reason I didn't was I couldn't get my mind around building the rest of the army :rolleyes:

To all you naysayers :o

Now, noodlenerd, that was a GREAT answer, i have never thinked on the David of Michaelangelo for the pose... (i only thinked on hamlet :D ^_^ ). I was a "bit" limited with the image that i tryed to copy, but i know that his leg should be more relaxed (that, and that i used a previously-made standing leg). But now i have learned several interesting things... hope it helps on the next work... ;) ;)

• 1 month later...

Oh my.... that model is just amazing, the detailing on him is out of this world. The scar on his face is very impressive as well, its so clean and well... perfect!

My only crit, if you can call it that... (how can i even be saying this!)... is that the legs are too close together, it takes away the authority of the marine. If the stance were to be widened just a tad it gives him the feel of being more powerful and dominating. (if you look at the picture you used for the concept, his stance is wider) ;)

Fantastic work with the Green Stuff. Very true to the original image, which ain this case, was Drawn by Mark Gibbons, the without a doubt from my side most talebted guy ever to draw stuff for Games Workshop. Damn shame he's with blizzard now.

You should contanct GW so they can start printing this guy for real! With their new Collector's range it might not even be an impossible thing :)

Archived